Humour

On being introverted

Click to view my Personality Profile page

I thought it’d be fun to try out this personality test and I must say, I’m not surprised (well, okay, I know since I completed the quiz, I shouldn’t be surprised!)

I’m an ISTJ person, also known as “The Examiner”. My temperament is supposedly “Protector”.

Anyway, the point of this post was also to highlight my introversion. Now, I’ve always had friends that are extroverts or at least, leaning towards extraversion. And sometimes, I reckon, they think I’m weird. After all, why wouldn’t I want to go and party in nightclubs when I was around 18 – 20 years? And why do I prefer to stay home on a weekend curled up with a book when I could be going on marathon shopping sprees?

Well, the simple answer, my dear friends is that I am an introvert.

While I love my friends and enjoy their company, I do prefer a lot of me-time. I am socially-stimulated even by just meeting up with one or two friends. And all-day socialising with a group or going on shopping sprees all day long or even going to nightclubs is exhausting for me.

I do not avoid going out because I am depressed. Why is it hard to believe that I am actually having a lot of fun reading on the couch? Or blogging?

Research shows that introverts need very little to be mentally and socially stimulated versus extroverts. In other words, what I get from meeting a couple of friends for dinner or coffee is equivalent to an all-night party for a major extrovert to get the same ‘high’.

So the next time I choose to go to a park and read by myself, it’s not because I don’t like others. It’s not because I am depressed.

It’s because, as my personality test shows, I’m 95% introverted. 🙂

Ersa
    May 1, 2009 at 3:05 am

I’m 95% introvert too…:-).

Smita
    May 1, 2009 at 3:29 am

But do u agree with the analysis??

I remember doing it but I don’t remember what came out or whether it was correct or not!!!

P.S. I was laughing at myself, I cud have seen the sun sign on ur profile..:-)

May 1, 2009 at 4:29 am

@ Ersa: Woohoo! It’s great being an introvert, isn’t it?

@ Smita: Yes I do…I know I am an introvert and prefer sensing rather than being intuitive and I am more into the thinking side of things than feeling… 🙂 So yes, totally agree. This is more so to build a case when my friends think something’s wrong with me! 😀

Joel
    May 1, 2009 at 6:29 pm

click for my personality type

im about 84% introverted .. and why does my graph look so one sided !!

May 2, 2009 at 10:52 pm

@ Joel: Lol…yeah very one-sided! 😛

SSQuo
    May 7, 2009 at 6:09 pm

I didnt take the quiz but I think i am an in between, I love going out and then there are times I cannot be bothered at all. I want my space and I’ll take it, a good book, a good movie, no talking…:)

And to those who think u dont like them, well grow up, its not always about them u know???

Reema
    May 11, 2009 at 2:30 pm

nice to know more about u.

legallyalien
    June 2, 2009 at 5:10 am

Ok. I’m not stalking you or anything (considering how many comments I’ve left on your blog today) but almost everything I’m reading here is so much like me! This post in particular is exactly like me. Weird.
    Also, re: above post on footy players, I also know them for their reputations and as a journalist, I avidly follow the news and there’s something every week about some footy player. Its shocking really. Also, I’m not sure what you wrote about Harbhajan Singh but your tone has me thinking, we share similar opinions about him too. I mentioned the Gabba match on your Gilly post and thr was an Aussie lady cheering for Harbhajan. I was too shocked to even stare at her. Indian supporting Gilly = totally understandable. Aussie supporting Harbhajan = totally unfathomable. She was married to an Indian but still. Why him? Of all the cricketers in India?

Oh and btw, I love your blog. Since I am too lazy to write, I will keep coming back to you coz we share such similar thoughts.

June 2, 2009 at 5:56 am

@ legallyalien: Hehe…stalker! I feel so important now! 😛

You sure we’re not long lost twins or something? Similar dreams, similar views, similar personalities, came to the same country? And once upon a time I wanted to become a journalist!

Can’t believe the Aussie woman supporting Harbhajan — Sachin, Dravid totally understand. But Harbhajan????

And thanks for loving my blog. You are more than welcome to comment a zillion times a day! 🙂

legallyalien
    June 3, 2009 at 1:57 am

Lol. Long lost twin, haha. Kumbh mela type? Will definitely keep coming back. I liked your post today. I wrote a long letter to the Indian media yesterday. Thinking of sending it to my journalist friends in India. I’m so disgusted, burning effigies and posters! ridiculous!

Busy Bee — Over Cups of Coffee
    March 29, 2013 at 7:40 am

[…] think February is going to be overwhelming for this introvert. I see hibernation from people in […]

On becoming extroverted - Living my Imperfect Life
    August 28, 2014 at 2:00 pm

[…] years I have known and accepted the fact that I am an introvert. However, in the last 6 to 8 months, I have begun to question that aspect of my personality. I read […]