All about the mind

What ifs

How many people do you know who get anxious when they are going on a holiday?

None, I bet.

Well, I know someone who does — me.

Last night, I was tossing and turning for almost a couple of hours worrying (yes, worrying) about my upcoming trip to India. Here’s a sample of some of the things that were going through my mind:

* What if the plane crashes?

* What if the plane goes missing like the Air France one did?

* What if there are terrorists on the plane? (Thanks to my flatmate, this is a new worry)

* What if it’s raining really heavily when I get to India?

* What if for some horrible reason I am unable to come back to Aus in time?

* What if my friends have moved on and no longer think we are compatible as friends?

* What if people aren’t happy with the things I’ve bought them?

* What am I going to do with my car in the weeks I’m away? Which friend do I leave it with?

* What if I don’t get my packing done in time?

* What if they lose my baggage like Footloose’s?

All these and so many more. The ‘what ifs’ drive me crazy. I know it’s part of my Generalised anxiety behaviour. But I’ve been in control about my worries that past month after my CBT workshop. And now it’s back.

The lack of control.

The unpredictability.

Both of which results in me worrying!!!!

Sigh.

SSQuo
    June 23, 2009 at 2:50 am

So when do you leave? I am going to be there soon too! When you are passing by that big blue store look out for me! 🙂

So, the first three WILL NOT happen. Remove that from your mind.

The next will happen most likely. 🙂 I think the rains have begun and so you jsut have to not let it bother you. I know its hard given we are not as used to it now.

You bought things that you felt would be best, so thats all. its the thought, u took the effort and carried it. Relax.

Sometimes people do end up being on different wavelengths. I do say, don’t judge, accept people for who they are now. Perhaps you all may not agree on everything, or think differently, but you were friends at one time, that means you liked each other…perhaps the character…and that doesnt go away (not easily anyways).

Enjoy your trip gurl!!!

Orhan Kahn
    June 23, 2009 at 4:03 am

All this holiday talk reminds me how much I need one!

Enjoy yourself, lucky!

Screenage Scribbler
    June 23, 2009 at 4:45 am

Heya, well i know these are your worries and serious enough to cause you sleepless night,but for me my dear it was a bringing-smile-to-my-face post !

Anyways, good to hear that you are coming to India. Welcome girl ! And hey donot worry ! Nothing’s gonna spoil your trip,trust me !

Hey, BTW, did you not think of some FLU to add up to you WHAT IFs ?

LOL…sorry sorry…:)))) ..just chill and have fun !

Richa
    June 23, 2009 at 5:17 am

And what if everything goes perfectly well? Just as you planned. Because chances of that happening is far more than any of your ‘what if’s’ happening. Don’t you think so?

Chill yaar, all these things are beyond your control. You can’t stop them so why worry? Take life as it comes. You will get wrinkles very soon otherwise.

Enjoy your India Trip. Eat Mangos. 🙂

amol.naik
    June 23, 2009 at 5:18 am

Heyyo..

That’s why WISHES are for…to take you over those WHAT IFs….!!!

Here are some more….have a great flight and amazing time in India….

Don’t forget to blog….;)

June 23, 2009 at 5:43 am

@ SSQuo: Oh still a week or so to go. But me, being the person I am, will worry before hand! Hmm…big blue store? I’m guessing you mean at Bombay airport. Will look for it. And thanks for the reassurance (that’s the worst though in maintaining someone’s anxiety — but I can’t help it…seeking reassurance helps! Initially, that is.)

@ Orhan: I’ll try mate. Honest though, I must be the only person that worries about holidays…I’ve done it in the past when I’ve gone up the coast with a mate. Could not relax until we reached our destination. Driving along the Princes Hwy scares the crap out of me.

@ Screenage Scribbler (Like the new name, btw): That’s all right if it brought a smile to your face. It did that to my colleagues as well. They actually laughed at some of the worries I haven’t put up here! Swine flu is on the list as well… 🙂

@ Richa: I guess there is that possibility of things going well. Oh…and my worry doesn’t lead to wrinkles — I have grey hair instead!

@ Amol: Lol…let’s hope I have many wishes handy! Will try my best to blog when I’m there but I have no idea what the internet it like.

Shankar
    June 23, 2009 at 5:58 am

Don’t be too obvious… I am also very anxious and almost every time i get worst nightmares about my journey ahead…
    Anyway..Welcome to India…. The Mother country..

Solilo
    June 23, 2009 at 6:08 am

I do too thinking about the list and stuff.

Have a wonderful trip! Will miss your posts. 🙂

crash override
    June 23, 2009 at 7:01 am

rains have started.all the best for your trip.
    i think you need it.

Screenage Scribbler
    June 23, 2009 at 8:07 am

Hey PB, im waiting for the TAG !! Well tnx for the name compliment 🙂

Orhan Kahn
    June 23, 2009 at 10:37 am

Funny you should say that, I live ON the Pacific Highway. My first time behind the wheel of a car was on THAT highway.

Smita
    June 23, 2009 at 2:10 pm

🙂

Hmmmm too many worries my dear girl!!!!

It will rain for sure but nothing else that u r dreaming will happen so chill!!!!

G
    June 23, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Oye chill babe!! Stop worrying about things that will not happen. Worry about how a changed you will feel when you get home 🙂 🙂

Ersa
    June 23, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Have a fun filled trip, dear! Don’t worry about all the what-ifs…It will all go just fine! Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and when are you leaving? Will miss reading you, Psych…

perplexed
    June 23, 2009 at 7:31 pm

I for one LOVE the traveling and sometimes secretly hope that it turns out like oceanic815 and I find myself with the likes of Josh Holloway on a far away island!! 😉 lol… Have a safe and fun vacation! 🙂

Kanupriya
    June 24, 2009 at 4:48 am

LOL, stop worrying & start thinking about the good time which you’ll have soon. So, u on a holiday trip to India? Enjoy!!1

June 24, 2009 at 8:02 am

@ Shanker: Hmm…mother country. Still ambivalent on that one.

@ Solilo: List! That’s what I gotta do — make a list! I will try and blog even when I’m there although not knowing how the internet is, I may not be able to do so as often

@ Crash Override: Welcome! Oh..the rains must be bad if you are wishing me luck! 😛

@ SS: Done!

@ Orhan: Whoops! Realised I said ‘Princes Hwy’ because that’s where I’ve driven. Haven’t driven myself on the Pacific Hwy but been a passenger and been so damn nervous. Can’t believe that’s the ‘road’ on which you are learning!

@ Smita: Sigh. The rains. But I guess I could handle that if none of the other things I’m worrying about happen!

@ G: Oh…that’s a worry too. Actually, I lie. It’s more of a frustrating thought having to listen to people tell me I’ve changed!

@ Ersa: Thank you! Will try to blog even when there. But it probably won’t be as often. Will be leaving in a week and a bit.

@ Perplexed: Ah, to be an optimist. Even in a plane crash you can envision someone gorgeous. 🙂

@ Kanupriya: Thanks…trying to stop! And yes, I’m on about a month’s holiday.

Reema
    June 24, 2009 at 4:31 pm

all the best!!

Vee
    June 27, 2009 at 12:39 pm

You remind me of Monica from F.R.I.E.N.D.S.

June 28, 2009 at 5:34 am

@ Reema: Thanks! 🙂

@ Vee: Hehe…yeah, I am as neurotic as her! I’m also a neat freak but thankfully not as bad as her 🙂

Keerti Prasad
    July 9, 2009 at 6:17 am

I have an uncle who thinks alike. My mom bought a glass key chain holder some time back, and his panic nerve grew big again – “What if it falls down and breaks? Oh God! All this is so breakable!”

Well, glass is breakable!! 😀

Enjoy your trip

July 22, 2009 at 10:52 am

@ Keerti: Welcome to my blog and thanks for commenting!! And yes, I can see how your example would also fit metaphoricallly — if something has to happen, it will happen…no point stressing over it.