Life lessons

Pearls of Wisdom

***This has been written as part of Challenge 18 of Blog This.***

I love platitudes. Except when I am really down or anxious or angry. Then I can’t stand them. While growing up I used to have a number of these stuck on my board just as reminders when things weren’t going too well.

However, over the years, people have also said things to me. Some have remained. Some I have forgotten.

One that I remember was by a mate telling me “You have to be in it to win it”

I was going through a hard time applying for job after job after job. I had started in September 2007 when I was nearing the end of my course. By December, when the course was completed, I had no calls for an interview and only rejections from each place I’d applied to. The job market dried out over the Christmas period and I was running out of reframes. In January I got my first interview but once again got rejected due to the same reason: Not enough experience. I was getting depressed. Eating a lot more. I was only working Saturdays for 4 hours (my casual job back then) and was trying to live on that. But that job finished around the end of February and I was worried about what I was going to do if I didn’t have a job by then. What made it worse was that other places such as Maccas or Woolies wouldn’t employ me either because I was over-qualified! It felt like a no-win situation.

I stopped talking to most people. I only interacted with my flatmates. I was getting frustrated. I was getting sick and tired of writing cover letters and answering selection criteria.

But my mate, with those words “You have to be in it to win it” kept me going. I know it sounds simplistic and obvious. But I think my mind was in a state where I could have easily given up…I had after all been applying for almost 6 months by then with no luck. I was getting angry that everyone wanted me to have experience but no one was willing to give me any! I persisted after this…continued to buy the newspaper, check out job sites and apply for more.

And finally, mid-February 2008 after about 25 rejections, I got an interview call and got the job. It was only part-time but it was in the field and it was permanent. I took it and after that, other doors opened. I’m still at that job and grateful they gave me that chance.

I use these pearls of wisdom in other areas too. You need to at least try to get some sort of outcome. Without trying, there is no point.

And that’s what I attempt to do in all aspects of life.

Try.

Smita
    September 29, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Hmm very true!!!

My approach has been based on one belief…

At least try, at most things might not happen but then there is a chance that it might happen, so at least put in ur effort!!!

Archana
    September 29, 2009 at 3:37 pm

That’s perseverance. It can be really tough to go through rejection after rejection on the job hunt, but you never know what random opportunity opens up the doors for ya. 🙂 Keep trying things out, and hopefully the outcomes are all for the better! <3

September 29, 2009 at 5:13 pm

your mate was so right..thanks for sharing it here 🙂

indianhomemaker
    September 29, 2009 at 5:13 pm

God helps those who help themselves. We had this written on our report cards in school, on the Index page of all notebooks 🙂 Still believe it!!

A
    September 30, 2009 at 5:30 am

Its all about attitude, isn’t it? To steer through tough times, you need a good attitude. The so called, words of wisdom do help at times. Good one!

The Survivor
    September 30, 2009 at 7:03 am

Very True!!

One should try at least once!! After all what has one got to lose in trying?

Chantel
    September 30, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Nice that your mate was there and knew what to say to keep you going – I like that.

Good on you for never giving up and winning it 🙂

October 1, 2009 at 2:19 pm

@ Smita: Yeah, if we never try, I guess we will never know…

@ Archana: It’s bloody hard to do it…but sometimes, that’s better than giving up

@ Titaxy: You’re welcome 🙂

@ IHM: Oh yeah…I remember that. Heard that when I was younger…

@ A: Thought you were someone new at first. 🙂 And yes, it’s about attitude…

@ The Survivor: That’s another good pearl of wisdom there…what have you got to lose???

@ Chantel: Welcome to my blog and thanks for the comment!

@ Bethany: Welcome to my blog and thanks for the comment. And yes, I have told him that it was his comment that helped. In fact, months down the track, I gave him his own pearls of wisdom back! 😀

Just me...Tafline
    October 2, 2009 at 2:10 am

Completely true and relevant words of wisdom… Thanks for sharing it!

October 2, 2009 at 6:01 am

@ Tafline: Welcome and thanks for the comment! It was my pleasure sharing this… 🙂

ani_aset
    October 27, 2009 at 12:52 pm

good work PB..god bless you with lots of luck and success 🙂