Life NaBloPoMo

Dream on — home sweet home

The BlogThis Challenge for the week is as follows:

If time/location/money/the rest of the world didn’t matter, where would you live? What would your house look like? Find pictures ofyour dream home. What would the rooms look like? How would you furnish them? is it a beach house? Mountainside? Huge backyard, or small courtyard? Farm or suburbia? Apartment overlooking the Eiffel tower or rustic farmhouse in Tuscany. Is there a tree with a swing on it? Do you have a fireplace, mantle covered in photos? Is it a morroccan themed home/asian? Minimalist/shabby chic? Design your perfect home for us. Find pictures online and dream away.

So I get to design my own home!

Location – I have always been a city girl and love it. So my home would be located in Sydney somewhere down in the Sutherland shire area with water views. Water views are very important. It doesn’t have to be a beach but a riverside view would do too.

Image Courtesy: Sally

The House – I grew up in an apartment and was perfectly happy with it. I have no problems with apartments except it’s difficult to keep dogs as pets. Hence, my dream home would be a house. I’d prefer a single level house made of red brick. I am a sucker for the red-brick look. It is an amazing and even elegant look if I may say so. Maybe something like this

Image Courtesy: Planetware

The Interior – I am not too fussed about desginer stuff. It would be minimalistic in that I am not into flowery stuff or fluff. My house will have 3 bedrooms one with an ensuite, a living room, a dining room, a fabulous kitchen, a laundry, a patio at the back and one bathroom. One of the bedrooms will be my study/library. It will have my psychology books as well as my books on fiction and non-fiction. My furniture will be teak (or imitation teak) and the house will have floorboards.

Here’s the kitchen courtesy Spaced
Image Courtesy: Buildings UK
I love the space and the open plan of this living room. I would however change the furniture around to something in teak. And of course, would have a TV.

Images Courtesy: Spaced

The bathroom will be a mix of the two pictures here. I love the black coloured tiles but want both a shower and a bathtub.

Image Courtesy: Spaced
This is what the master bedroom will look like and will also have mirrored built-in robes and an ensuite.
Image courtesy: Jerrod
This room will be my haven…books from floor to ceiling and wall to wall. A study desk in the middle. All mine 🙂
The Backyard – I hate gardening. So my backyard will have just a small veggie patch and will instead be paved with seating and enough space to hold a barbie. Oh, and enough space for my mini foxie to roam around in.
Image Courtesy: Vrbo
So this is my dream house all for myself and for friends and family when they visit. What do you reckon? To check out other dreams houses, visit BlogThis for more…
And what would your dream house be like?
Do share…

Amol Naik
    November 2, 2009 at 8:08 pm

Good. choice…so the Library seems to be the perfect blend of modern and old…

But u know frankly, the dream of spending time in library is indeed just a dream, as long as we are working…but I’d still wanna have it…;)

November 2, 2009 at 8:23 pm

how lovely, PB…i want a waterview home too…and a room just for me and my books…so when are you buying a house so i can visit? 😉

MilesPerHour
    November 2, 2009 at 11:41 pm

Very cool post. I would have a number of places in a number of cities myself. All of them would have to have great kitchens though.

Solilo
    November 3, 2009 at 1:29 am

The library in our present home is small. In future though I would love to have a huge library in our home. The coziest place to relax. 🙂

Nu
    November 3, 2009 at 3:29 am

I loved the living area and the backyard.. and you know my idea of a bigg house is more or less the same as yours 🙂 And the library thing..yeah we too have a small library but we intend to convert it into a big space now..much needed seeing the influx rate of the books is increasing 🙂

Nu
    November 3, 2009 at 3:30 am

Oh yes with Titaxy me too wanna come over,alrite ? 🙂

G
    November 3, 2009 at 3:46 am

What target are you setting to finish building this house? I want to come and sit in your awesome living room and have coffee in the backyard :):)

Dagadu
    November 3, 2009 at 6:01 am

library is awesome — My wishes the best ones to fulfill that area of dream 😉

eternallymine
    November 3, 2009 at 7:00 am

*drool* I loooove those bookshelves! The kitchen is beautiful too.. makes me want to cook!

November 3, 2009 at 8:13 am

@ Amol: I’d love my house to have the whole old and modern blend to it…just a fantasy…

@ Titaxy: Will buy the house when I win the lotto…and will definitely invite you over! 🙂

@ MPH: I’m so with you…the kitchen sells the place for me!

@ Solilo: Nice…you have a library! I’d love to have used the second room at my place as a study/library but finances state otherwise…and have had to have a flatmate instead!

@ Nu: That’s amazing — great minds think alike! 🙂 And you are most welcome to come over once I have won the Lotto! 🙂

@ G: Would love to have you over. The target is to win the Lotto first… 😛

@ Dagadu: Thanks 🙂

@ Nikki: YEah I loved the pic of the kitchen…I like my real kitchen now but the one in the pic is just amazing and my ideal kitchen.

Archana
    November 3, 2009 at 8:14 am

Haha how funny, I was actually planning on doing a similar post! I was flipping through IKEA’s catalog the other day and thought it would be pretty neat to do a imaginary home kinda post. 😛 Your is super chic, and if those pictures were your real home, them I’d love to be your roomie, haha.

I’m so big on bathrooms, and your picture picks were awesome! Anyway, totally off topic, but I just noticed your side tab for what you’re reading right now, and I love that book! I remember reading it ages back. 🙂 Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

soin
    November 3, 2009 at 8:29 am

modern type heh.. i would love a traditional chettinad type house..big,with courtyard,those million windows..full of sunlight and air..try googling for the 1000 window chettinad house if u dont know about chettinad type houses..free

November 3, 2009 at 9:35 am

@ Archana: That was a nice coincidence. Would love to see your place! I too am big on bathrooms along with kitchens. Oh…and just finished reading the book today…will be doing a review post on it soon. Liked it but disagreed with a few things.

@ Soin: Red brick is great for our heat here…keeps the inside cool. Like the modern look with older looking furniture.

mahmud faisal
    November 3, 2009 at 10:48 am

Hei… the living room is that good!
    so cool images….

sigh… if I had one! 🙁

BlueMist
    November 3, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Wow you have everything so neat and planned. I have no such plans. Though will not mind visiting your home 🙂

DarNonymous
    November 3, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Ah, ye old Shire, go Sutho!
    Loving that kitchen, there’s just something about that old wood look.
    Think I’ve read most of the entries, it’s amazing to see how different everyones’ tastes are, my fream home is morphing a little with each post I read.

Richa
    November 3, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Loved your house especially the library. I would love to have a library in my home too..

This challenge seems fun. If I will get time, I might work on my dream house too. That way I can tell my spouse exactly what I want in my house: simply read the post!! 🙂

Aditya
    November 3, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Great taste buddy! I am sure you will achieve your dreams pretty soon 🙂 . All the best!

evanescentthoughts
    November 4, 2009 at 2:21 am

Nice pics.. I loved the library. Wish I could have such a library at home 🙁 A hugggeee one loaded with books and cozy enough to sit and wail away time. Even I want a sea waterfront house 🙂 Love to watch the waves!

November 4, 2009 at 9:05 am

@ Mahmud: I wish I had that too… 🙂

@ BM: I have a fair idea…not really completely planned. I think tho the waterviews and the kitchen are most important! 🙂

@ DarNonymous: Oh…are you a shire girl? I’m new to the shire but loved it when I first came down to Cronulla. 🙂 And yes, the old wood look is amazing…

@ Richa: Lol you should take it on too…and tell your spouse! 🙂 Library seems to be a big thing with most of us…Would love that!

@ Aditya: Ah I hope your words come true. 🙂 Thanks!

@ Avada: I know…I wish too!! 🙂

Reema
    November 4, 2009 at 5:20 pm

what a house!

miss carly
    November 4, 2009 at 8:41 pm

i love the idea of the black + white tiles in the bathroom {cannot remember if i said that too – iv read too many of these this morning to remember}.

great house xo

alliecat
    November 4, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Totally agree on the water view. A must. Lovely house, especially that big spacious bedroom…..sigh!

Being Me
    November 5, 2009 at 1:15 am

Very nice! I love open plan spaces too. And the bathroom, such simple clean lines. Lovely.

November 5, 2009 at 10:04 am

@ Reema: Thanks! Wish it were real…and mine…sigh!

@ Miss Carly: Black and white is great isn’t it? Very elegant and sleek… Thanks!

@ Allicat: Welcome! And thanks…lovely isn’t it? This challenge makes you wish all of it was for real!

@ Being Me: Welcome! Yeah I loved the bathroom and the kitchen in particular! Would love them for real…

Matt Parker
    November 7, 2009 at 5:14 pm

I always fancied myself living in a castle!
    Like one of those old castles with towers and acres of grounds on the lakeside.

A huge fan of the English architecture I would pretty much like a castle like the windsor castle with castle guards! lol

Anyhoo,your dream home looks sweet especially the living room.It’s great!
    I’ve been in one of those living rooms with glass and a great view..I could gaze at the sky forever!

Lilly
    June 2, 2011 at 4:59 am

Wow you have good taste and I think you just designed my dream home. You will get it one day for sure. I like keeping scrap books for things just like this. And I agree to be near water would be wonderful.

June 3, 2011 at 3:04 am

Haha….thanks! You’ve given me an idea with the scrap book…haven’t
    thought of that. Water views would be great. Except sadly in Sydney those
    properties cost about a million. Maybe I could retire down the coast or
    something and get something more affordable that way! 😛