Life

Out of my own comfort zone…

So I have borrowed the title for this blog post from Steve Waugh’s autobiography but it’s a bit relevant to what I did today.I have been a bit down and out the last couple of days and today was no exception. I woke up feeling really down and depressed. The weather didn’t help. It was a grey rainy day in Sydney today. Anyway, I had looked up this website called Meetup.com earlier in the year and had joined some groups I was interested in. However, the only thing I made it to was last month — a book club meeting in my suburb and it was all right. I had last week RSVPed to attend lunch at a cafe in the city this morning. However, back then, I hadn’t anticipated feeling depressed.

So anyway, I woke up in the morning and contemplated cancelling. I could say I was sick or could just say I didn’t want to venture out all the way into the city in this rain. But then, I forced myself to take a shower and forced myself to get out. I was a bit anxious as well mind you, given my nervousness around new people. And these would be people I had never met before. So I dragged myself down to the city and met up with these people. 6 others turned up. And it was a fun three hours which included a yummy iced chocolate. They were really nice people — all down-to-earth and friendly. I think they were all older than me and unlike my group of friends here, none of them were psychologists and but for one, all of them were renting. (My friends here all live with their parents except for a couple of them)

So it was a nice day and I was glad I forced myself to do this. I got to meet some very nice people who I do hope to meet again…and who knows…I could actually expand my social circle!  One of the main indicators of depression is when a person starts to withdraw from social situations. And it’s easy for me to do that given my social anxiety as well! So yeah, I’m glad I pushed myself to do that. And in the evening, spoke to a friend over the phone for about a couple of hours which was also good for my mood. My mood is still not a 100% up there but I figure I’ll be okay as time goes on.

Anyway, hope you are all doing well out there. And thanks everyone for the lovely words and the hugs in the previous post…

Makk
    December 28, 2009 at 11:44 am

Well… not much surprised to see psych babbler ..was depressed.

Life is too short to be disappointed.
    🙂

Keep Smiling!

*Shreya*
    December 28, 2009 at 12:30 pm

awwwwwwww!!! bet i would have posted the SAME thing had i been in your shoes :/
    social anxiety….tell me about it !!!!!!!!!!

December 28, 2009 at 3:39 pm

good for you, Psych..hope you feel all better soon..hugs!

Smita
    December 28, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Sometimes meeting new people in itself is a good therapy because they make you forget your problems in a way 🙂

Anyways hope ur social circle increases and cheer up my dear 🙂

Matt Parker
    December 28, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Cool…Babbler is happy now! 🙂

You will feel better when the new year comes! 😀

Here is to a wonderful 2010!!
    Cheers and Hugs

Toon India
    December 29, 2009 at 5:00 am

first time visitor awesome blog you have..cheer up..do have a look at my blog..that wil surely help 🙂

Miss M
    December 29, 2009 at 6:15 am

Am glad you’re feeling better!

Been there personally. So I know how absolutely horrible it feels. I’m really glad you’re out of it. And try to do whatever possible to stay away from it ok? -hugs-

Magali
    December 29, 2009 at 8:03 am

Glad you took the trouble to go out. Being with people aways cheers you up (unless they’re nasty people)
    I too feel depressed once in a while. But it’s just a phase, & I get over it.
    Something like the Buddhist teaching I follow- everything in life is cyclic & non permanent. You will have good days & bad days. But always know that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. And we’re all here for you!
    Take care

December 29, 2009 at 8:20 am

@ Makk: Well, I know life is too short to be down, but sometimes, it’s hard despite knowing that! 🙂

@ Shreya: Oh you’re socially anxious as well! Bet you totally understand then what I was saying! 🙂

@ Titaxy: Thank you! I’m working on it! Hugs!!

@ Smita: Yeah socialising is so important. 🙂

@ Matt: Well, not completely happy…but definitely better…hoping the new year is better!!!

@ Toon India: Welcome! Thanks for the lovely comment…will definitely visit your blog!

@ Miss M: Thank you…doing my best to get out of the funk… *Hugs*

@ Mags: A friend of mine said a similar thing…about how everything in life changes. He;s into the whole Buddhist thing as well…I’m trying to think that way — change is the only constant!! Thanks for your words… 🙂

Makk
    December 29, 2009 at 9:47 am

Dont know it.

try to feel it and then you wont feel that its hard.

LadyinRed
    December 29, 2009 at 11:16 am

Glad you went to the meeting and that now you’re feeling better.

*hugs*

sunnysac
    January 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm

I agree that social anxiety is the worst when I feel depressed. Kudos to you for overcoming it, at least for one day.

Love the title of your blog. I’m craving a latte right now.

January 4, 2010 at 12:25 pm

@ Makk: Let’s see… 🙂

@ LadyinRed: Thank you 🙂

@ Sunnysac: Welcome! Yep, being depressed makes going out so much more harder, eh? And thanks for the lovely comment about my blog title…in case you didn’t know…I am a coffee addict! 🙂