Life

Saturday Scramblings

***RANT ALERT***

Why do people make plans with you and then cancel at the last minute?
It’s almost like they had a better offer and the fact that you made a plan with them brushing off other potential plans means nothing whatsoever. It’s disrespectful!

Why do people say they will meet up at a particular time but then end up being late? Every. Single. Time.
These are people who are not late for work…so why turn up late for a social appointment. I can understand when it’s something like traffic or something unforeseeable…but when it happens every time, it’s a habit.

Why do skinny people talk about fat people like they are an abomination?
Not all fat people are fat just because of overeating. There’s many of them out there that are the way they are due to genetics or other health problems.

Why do people put on a mask in front of even those they are close to?
Is it that bad if we don’t perceive you as being perfect…especially given that none of us is perfect anyway

Why do some individuals deny others from having a conversation just because they don’t have a point of view?
I don’t stop you from having conversations about clothes or Sex and the City or you new shoes. Please don’t tell me to stop having a conversation with another interested person on areas such as determinism, feminism, whether people can be truly altruistic, and all the other zillion questions like these that run through my mind. It is not my fault you are not a deep thinker. [Sorry…narcissism alert here!]

Why can’t some people not get that I like spending time by myself and it’s not a bad thing?
I know you are an extrovert and need to be around people almost all the time. I don’t. And I’m happy.

Why do people at shopping centres with strollers act like they rule the path?
Just because some of us don’t have kids or strollers does not mean you can run over our feet or not care about where you are going. It’s hard for some us to dodge you when there’s three of you in a line with your strollers!!

Why don’t people understand that feminism is not equivalent to man-haters?
I am a feminist but I have no problem with men. As long as they are not chauvinists.

Why is there only crap on the telly and what’s with all the ‘reality’ shows?
TV is getting worse by the day (Apart from Big Bang Theory, Good News Week and Two and a half men) Whatever happened to the people that wrote shows like Friends or Seinfeld or Frasier? And who are the people that come up with shows like Dance you ass off and other such shit? What drugs are they on???

Why is it that even though I take a list grocery shopping I don’t stick to it?
I end up buying things like chocolate milk (just because it’s on special!) that is so not on the list!

So I don’t have answers to these…but I thought I’d put it out there. I’ve had these questions occur over the past couple of weeks. I’m not in a bad mood or anything but just wondering. And ranting.

Have a good weekend folks!

January 23, 2010 at 3:39 am

1 – suck, doesn’t it? have had that happen a couple of times with the same person, so i stopped making any plans with that person 😛

2 – i hate hate it when people are late…when you give a time, keep up to it…if not CALL and lemme know…i’ve had someone who has ALWAYS been late, never calls and ends up giving traffic / work excuse all the time. sigh.

3 – i love spending time with myself…esp weekends, if the weeks been too busy…i like to stay in the house, do my reading, tv watching all by myself, i don’t care for company.

4 – tv shows – don’t even get me started…at least the dance ones are ok, but the ones about a bachelor choosing a companion on the reality show – total WTF. can’t stand tv these days…

5 – grocery shopping – lol…i hate grocery shoppipng :P..so whenever i go, i’m in and out in minutes 🙂 don’t spend too much time looking ard, so i don’t buy a lot of unwanted things (at least i would like to think so 😛 )

January 23, 2010 at 3:39 am

first?

January 23, 2010 at 3:41 am

and oh, how did i miss this – i lovvveeeeee two and half men too :P…

January 23, 2010 at 3:52 am

@ Titaxy: Yes…you’re first! Re ppl cancelling plans, there’s usually one person here but thre was one girl back home who always did that! And I finally told her off. Re grocery shopping, I’m not overly fond of it which is why I tend to leave it till I really have to go…and then I end up buying crap! And I knew you would understand the ‘me-time’ bit for sure! 😀

Renu
    January 23, 2010 at 4:36 am

Agree to most of the points..dont like people who are late, nothing good on TV here also,Grocery list also changes sometimes:),,me too love spending time with myself, Feminist..cant say..I believe in equal rights not only for women, but duties also for both.

Nu
    January 23, 2010 at 4:59 am

2,4,6,9,10 WHYs happen to me too 🙁

PB,I had done a post sometime back on the WHYs of my life..go check

And I’m sure this list will getting piling up ! Sigh !

Shahid Mukadam
    January 23, 2010 at 5:58 am

Saturday Rant huh…it works ….take out all the negative from your mind the first thing in the morning….then all you have to do is look up to a bright and beautiful day.

Shahid

January 23, 2010 at 7:16 am

@ Renu: Feminism is about equality. It doesn’t say women should be better than men.

@ Nu: I think I read that one…but will check it out again! 🙂

Moragg
    January 23, 2010 at 7:30 am

OMG ‘Death by perambulator’ – I hate this. Good on you, you procreated! That doesn’t mean I don’t have a right to walk on the path as well even though I’m obviously childless.

And I think the whole ‘fat’ thing is the new abuse against smokers. The social norm (whether it’s right or not) is that smokers are allowed to be told off… but a lot of them have quit now, so we need to be ‘better’ than someone… who shall we make pariahs now? Oh, I know, the fat people. (In view of full disclosure, I am over 130kgs)

livemorenow
    January 23, 2010 at 8:39 am

I get particularly grumpy when people run late and yeh, have given up watching TV. Advertisers please note that I am lost to your marketing reach. Good list.

I wonder …
    Why don’t the people who are waiting at the front of Boost Juice move out of the bloody way???!!!

BlueMist
    January 23, 2010 at 10:15 am

I can relate so much. What’s life without me time ? when people come late give that BS about IST I just go wild. anyways; it is weekend and rants will never end. Happy weekend 🙂

perplexed
    January 23, 2010 at 10:15 am

I particularly hate people who have no respect for other people’s time! they are the worst kind!

January 23, 2010 at 11:02 am

@ Shahid: Most of them were formulating during the week but then because No. 1 occurred yest, decided to vent it all out! 😀

@ Moragg: Loved your post! And re the whole ‘fat’ thing as the new abuse against smokers…all smokers choose to smoke, not all fat ppl choose to be fat. Just a thought. It just annoys me when super-skinny ppl do that…just so they don’t have a frigging health problem doesn’t mean they have the right to abuse others. I’m not overweight but have been in the past (mine wasn’t health related…just laziness)

@ Jacintah: Hmm…could widen your rant to more than just Boost juice now that you mention it…seen it as bakeries, fast food places….

@ BM: Yeah, it was standard in India but here as well I have had a couple of friends that tend to be late often. 🙂

@ Perplexed: Tell me about it…it’s so disrespectful bcoz we could have other stuff to do than wait for them!

BlueMist
    January 23, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Somebody gave me this funda; being indian you can follow IST everywhere you go. 😀 😀

Moragg
    January 23, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Yeah, I understand that we don’t all have a choice. (I have however lifted my head out from the sand and realised mine is laziness) With the media going all out on the health issues, and how ‘fat people’ will cost society money, I was drawing a corrolation between the way in which smoking was demonised (and still is.)

I heard a brilliant quote from an obese person – at least smokers can quit their habit and never have one again, I still need to eat three times a day.

January 24, 2010 at 12:04 am

@ BM: Lol! Did you know, apparently there is a South American standard time that runs the same way as ours?

@ Moragg: Yeah, it annoys me how the media goes on about that. Working in mental health, you see so many anorexics and bulimics…but for some reason, they don’t get the coverage obesity does. And lol at the quote…it’s so right!!!

Staci
    January 24, 2010 at 4:45 am

I went out of my way a few weeks ago to buy a pad of paper just so I could make grocery lists. Yeah, a lot of good that did. The other day, I made a list. I took it with me. I checked it several times in the store, and I still forgot half of what’s on there and bought things that weren’t. Obviously lists aren’t working for either of us.

PsychBabbler
    January 24, 2010 at 4:49 am

Lol!! Yeah at one point I decided that I’d only write a list for things I NEED so I won’t forget…and then anything else goes…but that was even worse than not sticking to a list! :p

Matthew Parker
    January 29, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I can soo relate to almost everything listed. Makes perfect sense

How is Two and a half men btw ? Heard directed by the same people of BBT…

Have a great weekend !

January 29, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Hehe 🙂 I enjoy Two and a half men…yes, it’s by the same people of BBT. And although Charlie is the main character, I find Alan and the kid Jake funnier most of the time.

ani_aset
    February 20, 2010 at 5:49 am

Hehehe rant rant PB i enjoyed it…what is dance your ass off :)))