Life

Needs and Wants

We live in an entitled world.

A world where we are told we need holidays, we need a new car, we need the latest mobile phone, we need to know what our friends are doing every minute of every day, we need the new 3-D televisions or we need the newest iwhatever.

Since when did these become things we needed? If I remember correctly, in order to survive, all we really need are food, water and shelter. But now, because we think we need more than this…and we keep needing more and more…resulting in being more unhappy than ever. Seriously, are we ever happy with the things we have? After all, there’s a new TV or a new mobile phone or a new laptop every minute!!!

If only we realised that we don’t need any of the above to survive but rather just want them because we are entitled, I wonder how many mental health problems we could avoid.

Just wondering…

bookslifenmore
    April 28, 2010 at 10:06 am

Hmmm nice thoughts!!! Things which were once called luxury items are now essentials!! And the worst is we are never satisfied with what we have!!!

P.S. Where have you been missing?

BlueMist
    April 28, 2010 at 10:09 am

Mental problems ? I think as long as we realize these are just means of comfort and they are meant for us not that “we ” are meant for them I think we will do fine.

April 28, 2010 at 10:45 am

You are so right! Just had a long weekend so had a break…. How you doing?

April 28, 2010 at 10:47 am

I like how you put it! =)

Pipe_r
    April 28, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Hmm..there was a time not so long ago when I lived for 3 years without basic amenities like running water or electricity(forget about luxury!). But today, the very thought scares me. One gets so complacent about these things because they come so easy to us. We simply start taking things for granted. So if they are to be suddenly taken away, I dont know about mental health problems, but it`ll cause a lot of unhappiness , that`s for sure :):)
    My first time here and I`m loving it! 🙂

April 28, 2010 at 1:49 pm

one should strive on finding the balance…figuring out needs vs wants…being able to find what makes them really happy vs the illusion of joy (because they have all the new gadgets)…

starsinmeyes
    April 28, 2010 at 3:42 pm

I just came to your blog thru’ IHM….and I luuuurve it! Fascinated by your psych posts esp…it’s my goal to get into the mental health field…so I’m very thrilled to find your blog 😀

Putting you on my blogroll…hope you’re okay with that

Sam Liu
    April 28, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Desire is the root of all suffering, according to the Buddha and it’s true, we don’t need all of the various items we collect and buy…but is a world of sheer necessity a better one?

bluntedges
    April 28, 2010 at 8:10 pm

i know.
    i understand.
    i agree.
    but i need a new cell phone!!!

Lazy Pineapple
    April 29, 2010 at 10:34 am

I completely agree on your point. Most of us bow down to peer pressure and put such things on the most needed list.
    A new mobile or a tv just gives us momentary pleasure till we start lusting for aomething else.

April 29, 2010 at 10:47 am

Welcome Piper! I cannot imagine how you lived w/o water and electricity! Now those are necessities! But as you said, when we have it every day (just like food & shelter) we take it for granted and instead want everything else…

April 29, 2010 at 10:54 am

Balance! That’s so true T! And yes, how much of that happiness is an illusion…that is temporary…

April 29, 2010 at 10:55 am

Welcome Starry! Thanks for the lovely comments about my blog! And honoured that you are putting me on your blogroll. Would love to hear your views on mental health…

See you around! =)

April 29, 2010 at 10:57 am

I’ve heard that before…the saying by the Buddha. I won’t say a world of sheer necessity is a good one…we would all like to have luxuries….but like Titaxy commented…a balance would be good. We tend to want more and more these days than ever before…and maybe, just maybe a balance would be nice.

April 29, 2010 at 10:57 am

ROFL! Need? Or want??? =P

April 29, 2010 at 11:51 am

Peer pressure…ah…it’s funny how people think it only exists when we go through school but in actuality it goes on way beyond that. I’m experiencing a lot of peer pressure at the moment but I’m not caving in! I refuse to buy an iphone! =P I prefer using the internet on my laptop than something in my palm!