Life

Scrabble Shocker

Before I begin, I will warn you: RANT ALERT!!!!

I love Scrabble. Not sure how many of you out there love the game. But if you do, I wonder if you are as enraged as I am about this news where the distributors are planning to change the rules. Apparently they are going to allow the use of proper nouns as well as allow words to be spelt backwards, upwards and not connected to other pieces!!!! What the fuck?!

What is wrong with them??? It defeats the whole purpose of the game which is to try and and use strategies to win, to block others from making words and making it harder to use letters such as X, J, Q and Z. But now of course, people could make Xiaozhang if they wished! They could place a word starting from any triple word score despite not having any other tiles to connect to.

I am not happy! For the serious and competitive players like myself, this is nothing short of a joke. I mean, if there are people who are not serious about the game, they probably would be making their own rules like this but why spoil it for everyone??

What next? Allowing people to use text message language or twitter language?

I guess the day isn’t far away when they will decide to allow us all to make words such as ‘ppl’ or ‘qry’ or ‘qstn’ or ‘woteva’.

And I bet the founder of the game is rolling in his grave this very moment.

Use your brains people…they were given for a reason! Not everything in life has to be easy.ย

shakira
    April 16, 2010 at 10:58 am

I totally AGREE with you! Cannot imagine what they are thinking now…

Dew
    April 16, 2010 at 5:24 pm

OMG..I loveeeeeeeee playin scrabbled..there ws one time when i had scrwed my sleep habits due to playin scrabble upto wee hrs ๐Ÿ™‚

and the rules thingy certainly is one weird thing now…

April 17, 2010 at 8:07 am

Yep…that’s the plan…to pretend they never changed the rules!

April 17, 2010 at 8:07 am

Tell me about it! People will just prefer using ‘John’ or ‘Jane’ or ‘Brad’ instead of actually thinking of new words or bigger words. Sigh…

April 17, 2010 at 8:14 am

Oh God forbid!!! But you never know…they could possibly decide to do that! And agree, I will continue to play the game as it should be played and I’m sure more of the lovers of the game will do the same. I still refer to Bombay as Bombay! =)

April 17, 2010 at 8:15 am

I think they are planning on making it official unfortunately. And that’s what scares me that in another 10 years they will decide to allow text message words as well. I don’t think I am catastrophising.

April 18, 2010 at 7:13 am

It’s the competitiveness and the challenge that makes it a whole lot fun…if they take that away, I doubt we would have as much fun….

April 18, 2010 at 7:13 am

Tell me about it! Sigh.

April 18, 2010 at 7:14 am

G!!! It’s so funny because when I heard the news about this, it’s exactly what I thought. I have seen the movie and loved it and totally believe that it’s where we are heading.

April 18, 2010 at 7:15 am

Welcome Bikram! People love changing things to make it ‘easier’ because apparently hard work is not good. But yeah, I still have the game so there’s no way I’m changing the rules!!!

April 18, 2010 at 7:16 am

Welcome Shakira! Who knows what they are thinking? Maybe they are thinking well, people prefer easy things so let’s make this easier and no one has to use their brains anymore because it’s so hard to do that…

April 18, 2010 at 7:17 am

Lol…you were playing on FB, were you? Purists like us are the only ones annoyed I think. And people that are not purists are not playing it anyway. So why bother changing the rules I don’t understand…

Bikram
    September 16, 2010 at 2:02 am

first time on ur blog.. I totally understand what you mean.. WTF.. people love changing things which are not broken.. human tendency.. But I am sure the old board will still be around..

But yeah they r defeating the objective of the whole game .. by making is so …

Gunjaaish
    September 16, 2010 at 2:02 am

Have you seen this movie called Idiocracy. That’s where mankind is heading to. Do watch, it tells about how dumb the brain is eventually gonna be.

Reema
    September 16, 2010 at 2:02 am

seriously WTF! I love scrabble too!

Richa
    September 16, 2010 at 2:02 am

Agreed. I was shocked too when I heard the news.

I play scrabble on my iPhone with my friends (never wins :(, they are too good ). Its an ongoing game we have that we can play whenever we get 5 min break. It’s fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

September 16, 2010 at 2:02 am

I like playing scrabble too. This is just making it too easy and keeping everyone from using the brain…how idiotic. I hope they don’t really make this official…but given that they are thinking about this, it is bound to happen, if not now then in the future. Me no likey.

chinkurli
    September 16, 2010 at 2:02 am

I’m outraged, even though I’m not a serious Scrabble player. I have mine too, so I can just pretend the rules don’t exist ๐Ÿ˜€

Varsh
    September 16, 2010 at 2:02 am

The news indeed came as shock. The use of proper nouns would limit our inquiring mind’s race to look out for words that it hasn’t heard before. The ground rules were laid by the founders for some reason, and I think they must be left as they are.

Scorpria
    September 16, 2010 at 2:02 am

Grrr…that’s ridiculous…and I’m not happy either.i guess the next thing would be to allow people to take sevel letters, then look at it and say “Naah…I want a Q,X and Z…” and let them pop in and out of the alphabet bag!

But well, een if they change the rules, we’ll al still play scrabbles the way it was menat to be played. And make sure our kids are taught it taht way too. Well, not everyone calls Bombay Mumbai, Bangalore Bengaluru and Madras Chennai ๐Ÿ™‚

September 16, 2010 at 2:02 am

What’s the bet they won’t in some years’ time??? =D And I will come after you with a stick then… =P

bookslifenmore
    September 16, 2010 at 2:02 am

hehehe they haven’t added use of hinglish words???

*Can see the glares coming her way so Smita runs away* ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

September 16, 2010 at 2:02 am

I wouldn’t bet it won’t happen in the future…that’s where everything is headed. And that’s the day I’m going to get extra, extra, extra mad!

ItsNu
    September 16, 2010 at 2:02 am

I was shocked too when I heard of this news…me too LOVES scrabble and for what it is right now ๐Ÿ™‚

But hey relax…I don’t it’s going to happen like that…at least the news on FB says that…

Thank God for that. And thank god I already have Scrabble! =P

Prats
    September 16, 2010 at 2:02 am

I so agree with you, thankfully they would be selling the old board with old rules…