Feminism Fodder

Forgive me for I have sinned…

…by doing things my gender is not supposed to do. I have sinned by breaking through those stereotypical barriers. I was tagged by Starry and Avada to list at least ten things you have ever wanted or done which your gender is not supposed to. I do think that a small element needs to be added in that this is probably based on the Indian culture. What Indian culture expects each gender to do or not do. You can therefore adapt it to your cultural background I guess.

So here goes:

1. I played football (i.e. soccer) and cricket from the time I was about 5 years old till I was 21. For fun, of course. Not professionally or even for a club sadly. I also watch cricket and football with an actual understanding of the games
  2. Beer is my favourite alcoholic drink.
  3. I drink alcohol.
  4. I migrated to a different country all by myself. A country where I have no family.
  5. I bought my own car with my own money
  6. I have moved furniture and set up furniture. More than once
  7. I do not like shopping for clothes or shoes unless it’s necessary. You won’t find me going on random shopping sprees to make myself feel better
  8. I am not excessively fond of make up or jewellery
  9. I prefer wearing trousers/jeans. So much more comfortable!
  10. For most of my life, I have had short hair. I only let it grow in the last few years here in Australia because I was a poor student and couldn’t afford to get my hair cut more than once a year!
  11. I’ve always chosen to pay for myself on dates.
  12. I loathe the colour pink. I mean it. Give me black or white or red or purple. But not pink!
  13. I loved doing weights at the gym. In fact, at one stage, back at the gym in India, I was lifting the heaviest weights of all women visiting that particular gym
  14. I love eating. Yes I do worry about my weight but that doesn’t mean I eat only salads. I can eat a foot-long sub from Subway or a full bistro meal! After a couple of schooners
  15. I take the garbage out!

So there…I’m sure there are a lot more given that I was a tomboy growing up. But I’ll stop for now. So go on, take it up and let the rest of us see how you have sinned against gender stereotypes. I tag Titaxy, Nu, Misty, Sam, Richa, Breathing Soul, Leo, Lazy Pineapple, Journomouse and anyone else who wants to take this on.

mahmudfaisal
    July 5, 2010 at 11:09 am

upsss!! 15 sins!! no way to be forgiven 😉 lol….

nicely done a tag!!

July 5, 2010 at 11:10 am

Haha! Feel free to take it up if you have sinned as well…at least 10 sins!!

mahmudfaisal
    July 5, 2010 at 11:14 am

I have tried once few days back… couldn’t find half of the requirements at that moment… so I quit. Will try again 😀

July 5, 2010 at 11:17 am

Ah okay…well, will wait until you can get them! Looking forward to it! =)

Indian Homemaker
    July 5, 2010 at 12:35 pm

LOL yes Psyche Babbler you are a Sinner Against Gender Stereotypes no doubt 🙂

Living and moving on your own – is amazing and I am really impressed. (not just because it is a sin, but because you are so smart 🙂 )
    I too love lifting weights and was amongst the fitter lot in the gym… but have been careless for a while now…

Short hair and no love for pink seals your fate as a sinner 🙂

You are invited to join other sinners just like yourself here 🙂

BlueMist
    July 5, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Only men are suppose to take the garbage out ..oops I did not know that at all. 😆
    hey just done the tag and tagged you in fact 🙂
    Quite some sinner you are ! LOL

Avada Kedavra
    July 5, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Hey PB, I had tagged you too 🙂
    Glad to see you took up the tag 🙂 Nice list here and must agree with most of them you have written here. #4 Me too 🙂

Lazy Pineapple
    July 5, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Interesting..woohoo for lifting weights, buying your own car and paying for your own dates…way to go PB 🙂

Celestialrays
    July 5, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Love 11 and 14 😀

Yogesh Patwari
    July 5, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Hmm… have read quite a few of these ‘girls doing ungirly things’ blogs – somehow all of them have similar ‘sins’:
    – not liking pink
    – not loving jewelry
    – sports!

What is the world coming to?

Richa
    July 5, 2010 at 5:46 pm

I think, I have to repeat most of the point you have. 🙂

Thanks for the tag. I have been waiting for this one to come around. True, I could have picked up otherwise as well but this one, for some reason, I wanted to do legally. I don’t have commit more sins than I already do 🙂

July 6, 2010 at 9:20 am

Hehe…I have sinned terribly. All my life. =P I’ve slacked off on the gym since I came to Aus…too expensive on the pocket =( Would love to go back though when I can afford it!

July 6, 2010 at 9:21 am

Lol yes Misty…that’s a more Western stereotype I think about men taking the garbage out. When you live by yourself or share with a flatmate, you end up taking it yourself! Hopping over to reading yours now! =)

July 6, 2010 at 9:21 am

Oh…didn’t realise you had tagged me…making the change now. And reading yours…

July 6, 2010 at 9:22 am

Hehe…thanks LP….I thought you had done the tag. Since you haven’t…I’m tagging you too!!!

July 6, 2010 at 9:24 am

Hehe… =) Thanks Celestial!

July 6, 2010 at 9:24 am

The world is doomed…. =) Welcome to my blog Yogesh! And yes, I think there are definitely similarities in non-stereotypical behaviours/attitudes =)

July 6, 2010 at 9:28 am

Haha…we are similar in some ways, eh? Happy to tag you and looking forward to reading yours…

ItsNu
    July 6, 2010 at 9:48 am

i just noticed that this tag is doing rounds and rounds in the B-world 🙂 have to take it up now 🙂

Also..the website is looking fab..some changes..I can’t pin point what exactly..but it’s looking nice and has become lighter to load 🙂 good work sissy 🙂

And by the way have you forgotten the way to my blogs 😛

July 6, 2010 at 10:13 am

Do take it up Nu! Looking forward to reading yours. Your blogspot blog hasn’t shown me any of the updates for some reason! Only just noticed today that there are 3 additional posts since I last commented. And as for WP, thought you hadn’t blogged in a while till today.

I changed the blog design to go with my sister’s header…someone else mentioned it loads faster now as well. =P

sweetothings
    July 6, 2010 at 11:24 am

loved it awsm…. specially the GYm thing with weights cool.

gunjaaish
    July 6, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Likey. I have been tagged by other blogmates too and I think I can actually lift off most of your points 😛

July 6, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Ditto on #6 7 and 8 🙂

I don’t like pink, but I don’t hate it either 🙂 I can do with it sometimes, totally depends on my mood.

Yogesh Patwari
    July 6, 2010 at 4:19 pm

You remember every visitor to your blog? I am impressed 🙂

July 7, 2010 at 11:59 am

Thanks sweet…. do take it on yourself…

July 7, 2010 at 11:59 am

Looking forward to reading yours G! =)

July 7, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Haha…well, I do remember the regulars…and then I do remember if I haven’t seen someone comment before…so it helps =P

July 7, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Do take it on…I think you’ve been tagged by several people!!! Looking forward to reading your sins…

Reema
    July 7, 2010 at 6:10 pm

new theme is nice….but somethings are taking too long to load and browser is getting hung 🙁

pallavi
    July 7, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Awesome list, PB!!!!! Loved it 🙂 You rock, sinner!!!

July 8, 2010 at 8:33 am

Hmm…that’s strange…most people said it loads faster than the previous design. Not sure what browsers people are using. I use firefox and it’s quick on that, Thanks…and will ask around

July 8, 2010 at 9:04 am

Thanks Pal….I’m guessing you are part of the sinner’s club too!

starry eyed
    July 9, 2010 at 3:07 am

This is criminal! You’ve destroyed the stereotypes totally! Gosh! 😛
    Loved doing weights too…have slacked off unfortunately..but I remember the annoyed looks of male gymmers when they had to weight….err wait until I was done!

July 9, 2010 at 8:26 am

Lol yes…I’m going to hell! 😛 And seems like a lot of us have slacked off when it comes to the gym…sigh…

journomuse
    July 10, 2010 at 4:27 am

Hey Psych Babbler, Missed the tag, was travelling all across South India in the last week…But loved your list and wanted to say VOCIFEROUSLY that I hear you..Except for beer ( I hate beer, in the land of the English, I’ll happily trade it for cider or whisky..and mallu genes ensure I can keep pace with the best of them..;)

I have lugged gas cylinders around when I have moved cities too, I’m the handyman with the screwdriver around home, amma’s chauffeur and general dogsbody for the lack of a better word…While my sister escapes all the responsibility by playing the woman to the hilt( to suit her of course, not because she is any different!!)

July 13, 2010 at 9:53 am

Hehe…similar likes, eh? I do understand that beer is an acquired taste but I absolutely love it! Cider or Whisky…hmmm…never had the former and tried a sip of the latter but didn’t like it. Here’s to girl power! =)

Nitya
    July 13, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I like the new look:)Gosh, I’ve been away too long. Got to catch up with your blog!

July 14, 2010 at 9:43 am

Hey! Welcome back…been a while! Do catch up…and hope to see you post too.

September 16, 2010 at 2:02 am