All about the mind

To the girl on the bus…

To the teenage girl on the bus,

I have noticed you over the past few days. Catching the 490 bus from the same stop as me. And getting off before me. On your way to school. I have noticed the sadness on your face. The flatness of your mood. I have noticed you didn’t wave out to some girls who I assume were your classmates. And the first thing I noticed were your eyes…they are puffy with dark circles. I don’t know whether it’s because you have been crying a lot or whether it’s due to lack of sleep or both. I know not if you are self-harming like some young people I know do in order to cope. It’s because they don’t know any other way to dull the pain. I don’t know what the cause of your sadness is. Is it your family, I wondered. Or are you being bullied? Or did someone break your heart? Or do you dislike yourself?

I almost wanted to talk to you today. To tell you that there is hope. And to recommend speaking to someone. A therapist. But I’m not someone who speaks to strangers easily. And I could easily be construed as being nosey.

Teenage girl, if you are out there and read this, please speak to someone. Whether it’s your school counsellor or the local adolescent health centre. Or even Kids Helpline. There are people to listen. And there is a way to deal with the sadness and the pain. I wish you all the best.

And I hope I see you smile,

Regards,
A concerned passenger who has been through crap herself

BlueMist
    August 19, 2010 at 10:01 am

how sweet of you PB ๐Ÿ™‚
    I know this feeling of reaching out. and when you can not makes you feel helpless.

August 19, 2010 at 10:16 am

It’s funny but maybe because I don’t take public transport or because I see kids and teens with problems at work, I haven’t felt this way for long. But I really wanted to tell this girl to get help…she looked so depressed. But I bet she would think I was crazy if I spoke to her =P

Pesto Sauce
    August 19, 2010 at 11:08 am

Really compassionate

August 19, 2010 at 11:13 am

That was me thinking of work when I wasn’t working… =) I like teenagers even if some of them are shits at times. Do reckon they are misunderstood…

Gunjaaish
    August 19, 2010 at 12:04 pm

PB, if she reads this then good for her. But I am thinking, what is the possibility? If she doesn’t happen to chance upon your blog, why not going up to her and asking her if everything was okay. It will be a little wierd to do that, but if it’s gonna help someone, why not? Take care.

starsinmeyes
    August 19, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Maybe you could talk to her about random stuff, and then if she brings up something she’s upset about (on a small chance), then you could suggest.

It’s happened to me you know. Talking to people I have never met or seen before, and after a few casual sentences about nothing in particular, they tell me something big and I feel so touched that they opened up to me, and hope that my words offered some comfort or hope.

jidhujose
    August 19, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Dear just tell a hai, when u see her .
    When u say hai on all day, she will surely say hai to u. Then u can mingle with her easily

Aayushim
    August 19, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Aw. I hope she smiles soon.

August 19, 2010 at 3:20 pm

How nice of you! It really breaks my heart at times when I see people like that and I keep myself from reaching out.

Maybe you can just start a friendly casual conversation with her one of these days? Compliment her or something …anything to bring a small smile on that face ๐Ÿ™‚

vicious
    August 19, 2010 at 6:27 pm

but she wont b reading this …why dont u talk 2 her ?

Magali
    August 19, 2010 at 7:44 pm

This is really sweet. I really think you should try to talk to her (even though I know how difficult it can be).
    Regards.

Gyanbann
    August 20, 2010 at 2:59 am

Hope is a good thing provided there is consistency of thought. The trouble is we often lose hope in adverse times,and take wrong decisions. Keeping the faith is most critical as it is a test of one’s belief system.

Miss Smack
    August 20, 2010 at 4:30 am

Beautiful post. I would really encourage you to print this post and give it to her. You might just save her life. xx

Piyu
    August 20, 2010 at 4:48 am

Very kind of you PB, I hope the girl takes you advice ๐Ÿ™‚

Celestialrays
    August 20, 2010 at 10:10 am

Very sweet of you PB ๐Ÿ™‚
    I dont know what to say, its so difficult when you see somebodyin trouble, want to help, but can’t…

RESTLESS
    August 20, 2010 at 11:59 am

Really nice of u, nobody thinks about a stranger. True mental health is not taken seriously. You have to have severe physical illness to considered unwell, if u r depressed, then may be u r over reacting, ppl say. And u being into psychology understands it. i know. a nice thought, but how do u think the girl is going to reach to ur blog dear!

Celestialrays
    August 20, 2010 at 3:02 pm

you are tagged! ๐Ÿ™‚

Roshan
    August 20, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Girl on the bus, get help soon.

Hicham Maged
    September 16, 2010 at 12:27 am

This is sweet. The sadness in any human eye makes us want to help them because we are all humans!