Soapbox Issues

Same old story

I had planned to ignore this story in my blog. The whole Commonwealth Games saga. But when what I was half expecting came up, I couldn’t control myself. What was I expecting? For one of the Indian officials screaming racism or something along those lines. And guess what? They didn’t disappoint: Criticism a Western conspiracy, according to Kalmadi.

Is he for real?

A western conspiracy? Why? Because people dared to criticise the standards? Because people dared to complain about the state of the toilets and the beds and the infrastructure? Because people dared to complain about the fact that stray dogs and snakes and monkeys were living in the games’ village?

And all they can say is that western standards of hygiene are not the same as Indian standards?? For fucks sake! My place back in India was nowhere near as disgusting as the so-called Indian standards. And neither were the places of people I knew.I’m even willing to bet they don’t live that way in most slums. [Agreed, I might be stretching it a bit] But I guess all I’m trying to say is this isn’t an argument. It just highlights India in a very, very negative light.

Trust this to happen. It’s typical of Indian officials. To shirk any form of responsibility when things get tough. To cut corners [Especially as it doesn’t involve cricket]. To blame everyone else on the planet. Scream racism or bloody murder as and when it suits them. The Commonwealth Games occurs once in four years. The officials were aware of this a long time ago. So why slack when setting it all up? Why cut corners and use cheap infrastructure? And then blame everyone else when people complain? When people pull out?

Honestly, they remind me of some of my clients. My spoilt clients. The kids that will blame every one else for their behaviour but will never ever take responsibility. Because they never face any consequences. Just like in India. It’s a shameful state of affairs.

As I had said once before, I think any terrorists who were contemplating attacks are now just sitting back and relaxing as the officials are doing a great job in destroying the games single-handedly.

Smitha
    September 28, 2010 at 11:59 am

Seriously! Some of the comments that have emerged in this mess are atrocious to say the least. I am just grateful that things seem to be moving forward now, thankfully. Of coruse it is another issue that all this could have been easily avoided had our organizers planned and executed properly. Right now, all I hope is that the games complete without any untoward incidents and that everybody who is guilty for this mess, punished.

starsinmeyes
    September 28, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Your last line says it all. We don’t need foreign terrorists…these officials can single-handedly destroy all our dreams and walk off contentendly with full pockets.

September 28, 2010 at 1:32 pm

dunno what to say…sad state of affairs really…

Celestialrays
    September 28, 2010 at 7:06 pm

it is indeed shameful!

Radhika
    September 29, 2010 at 2:56 am

ohh haha I have so been ignoring the CWG on my blog because of exactly the same reasons. Once again we have exactly the same thoughts on this! That hygiene comment annoyed me so much I could have thrown something at the TV while I was watching the news! Argh!

Susan Deborah
    September 29, 2010 at 8:54 am

PB:

It embarrasses me to even think of CWG. Glasgow, the place where the 2014 CWG is scheduled to be held is already ready. Sometimes it pains me to see the news reports and the greed that is omnipotent everywhere from the lowest rung to the highest.

Shame.

Joy always,
    Susan

pallavi
    September 29, 2010 at 9:12 am

Seriously!! How ridiculous, and unfortunately, the masses will lap this up too, and Kalmadi can even become CM someday!! That is India for us!

September 29, 2010 at 9:56 am

I still reckon the whole corruption thing needs to be nipped in the bud. Unfortunately, knowing how things work in India, they are probably going to get away with it. If things do go well, people will conveniently forget what a fiasco it has been thus far…like I said…same old story.

September 29, 2010 at 9:58 am

If only these corrupt people faced the appropriate consequences, things wouldn’t repeat themselves this way…

September 29, 2010 at 10:03 am

It is…very very embarrassing as well…

September 29, 2010 at 10:09 am

Sigh…tell me about it…

September 29, 2010 at 10:22 am

Tell me about it! I so didn’t want to write about it but couldn’t resist. That hygiene comment was so ridiculous! I don’t know what planet he was on when he thought that would be a good defense!

September 29, 2010 at 10:37 am

It’s amazing how some other countries can be so efficient. I just don’t get the whole blame game in India though. These officials can never seem to take responsibility. Sigh.

September 29, 2010 at 10:50 am

You’re right Pal! Somehow, they will scrape through and people will conveniently forget the entire fiasco. It happens every time. And yes, he will get voted in.

Roshan
    October 13, 2010 at 2:03 am

Kalmadi is an ass. It’s true that there was a huge mess that eventually got settled somewhat (the PM of the nation had to get involved!!) but you are right – because it is not cricket, the mess is expected. The money is in cricket and people, politicians and corporates are willing to shell out money for cricket. Blame the nation’s thinking for that but that’s how it is. And although I do agree that it’s in our nature to scream ‘racism’ for these issues, you can’t deny the fact that the actual racism does agree. Perhaps a few more complaints coming up, or more comments to the press. What about the New Zealand anchor butchering Sheila Dikshit’s surname on purpose? These are just some examples.

Roshan