Humour

Passport-Photobia

Passport-Photobia (n): A fear and aversion of having to take passport photos. Coined by Psych Babbler (2010)

There was a reason why I kept putting off applying for my passport. Unconsciously maybe. But there was. The bloody passport photos. Why do they have to make it so hard?

No showing teeth.

Smile.

Relax.

Don’t wear glasses because the flash bounces off the lens.

Relax.

Look natural.

No hair falling on the forehead.

Relax.

No showing teeth when smiling.

It’s a nightmare. I went last week after work and pretty much had all of the above. How in the world do I look natural and yet smile without showing my teeth? [To those who don’t know me, when I smile, it’s showing my goddam teeth!] Also, they made me take off my glasses! I told the person that I wear glasses all the time and she said “Oh well, they’ll just get you to take it off at customs.” And for some reason, turning off the flash didn’t occur to her.

Anyway, the end result of that session was that I looked like a terrorist. Okay. Maybe not a terrorist. But definitely someone who would be held up at customs for a ‘random’ check. Yes, it looked that bad. I kid you not.

Eventually, I went yesterday to another place and got another set done. This time with glasses and without glasses. It’s not great [like most passport photos] and I look constipated but at least I doubt they will hold me up at customs!

So what kind of passport photos do you take?

Scribbler Utters
    December 6, 2010 at 11:29 am

LOL @ the definition PB πŸ™‚

Oh but you’re right passport photo shoot is an exercise in itself πŸ˜€ It’s like you’ve to show everything on your face yet hide it πŸ˜‰

In general my face is not photo friendly and I believe that only 2-3 out of 10 photos of mine come out well [not wow but nice] in one shoot-wherever it is.. functions,parties et al

BlueMist
    December 6, 2010 at 11:35 am

LOL You sound like me PB. I used my 10th PP photos untill graduation LOL.
    Now I just don’t care. I realized nobody else cares as well πŸ˜€
    You forgot the condition that both the ears should be visible πŸ˜›

December 6, 2010 at 4:02 pm

err i know what you mean…i hate having my passport photos taken too…they always come out so bad πŸ˜€

Susan Deborah
    December 7, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Passport photos are same all over the world! I hate any kind of still posing. It seems endless and time stands so very still that I ache to jump and dance afterwards πŸ™‚

Joy always,
    Susan

Smitha
    December 7, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I know what you mean! Passport photos are the worst! And it is even worse if you have to get a child to pose for them πŸ™ An absolute nightmare!

comfortablynam
    December 7, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Oh yeah..been there done that..hated every min of it πŸ™

Richa
    December 8, 2010 at 4:03 am

Ha! I went for my passport photograph this weekend. Okay, I am gonna write about my passport photo experience tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration…

Joel
    December 9, 2010 at 9:22 am

πŸ˜€ love the definition .. You should see the pic i had on my visa. I think no one has a worse picture than that. It looks like someone just slapped me across my face and is making me stand for the picture with a gun behind the camera. Damn face recognition systems cant identify normal sane human faces .. !

Psych Babblerβ„’
    December 10, 2010 at 9:02 am

@ Scribbler: Hehe…thanks Nu! You’ve put it really well…have to show everything yet hide it! πŸ˜€ I’m sure your photos in normal photos/natural photos look good…passport photos I think 99% of us don’t come out too well! πŸ˜›

@ BlueMist: Hehe…I have never had good passport photos…even in the 10th! πŸ˜› Y’know, I don’t think the ears thing holds here…the photos I took don’t show my ears and I checked the website for aussie passports after I saw your comment (bcoz I freaked out that I’d have to retake it!) and it didn’t have that as a necessity. Fingers crossed. I don’t care about how ‘good’ I look in it but I don’t want to look so bad that I’m held up every single time at customs because they think I look suspicious! πŸ˜›

@ Titaxy: Join the club! πŸ˜› We could make a whole club… πŸ˜€ I guess though it would include 99 percent of people in the world!!

@ Susan: Hehe…need to feel free after the posing, eh? Yeah…I don’t like any fake still posing especially by myself…it’s different when it’s with a group and especially easier when you can smile naturally!!! πŸ˜€

Psych Babblerβ„’
    December 10, 2010 at 9:17 am

@ Smitha: Lol…I can’t even begin to imagine what it would be like for a child to pose for a photo with all these restrictions!!! Wonder how many takes it requires…

@ Comfy: Looks like everyone is part of that club! πŸ™‚

@ Richa: I enjoyed your experience too…looks like it’s never a good one for anyone!! :S

@ Joel: Hehe thanks! πŸ™‚ I am willing to bet my picture (which I am not going to put on the passport) is a lot worse!! But I would like to look at yours πŸ˜› I don’t know why they can’t just let people pose naturally…y’know…smile showing our teeth if we want to!

Richa
    December 13, 2010 at 8:11 am

BlueMist
    December 13, 2010 at 8:11 am

LOL You sound like me PB. I used my 10th PP photos untill graduation LOL.
    Now I just don’t care. I realized nobody else cares as well πŸ˜€
    You forgot the condition that both the ears should be visible πŸ˜›

Bela
    December 14, 2010 at 10:11 pm

If you need passport photo try the http://idphoto4you.com website.
    This site create valid passport photos from uploaded photos. IDphoto4u uses face detection, after the detection appear a crop frame, which set the crop area.
    The crop frame is rotatable, real time preview help to set the crop frame.
    The site is absolutely free, very quick and easy.

December 15, 2010 at 7:53 am