Life

6 years on…

It has been 6 years, as of yesterday.6 years since I landed in Sydney, Australia.

6 years since I arrived as an idealistic 21 year old. Away from home for the first time. Away from family. A lot less experienced in terms of cooking, cleaning and well, just keeping house. A lot younger. A lot more inexperienced [A lot skinnier as well!!]

But how I have grown…

I learnt to cook. And bake. Even if it’s not perfect all the time. The bottom line is I can follow recipes.

I learnt to do my own laundry.

I was able to work whilst studying full time. A concept that was completely foreign to me back in India.

I graduated. And quite well. [Even better than India, thanks to more assignments here than just exams!]

I learnt to drive over the years. And bought my own car [Even if it is second-hand…it’s still mine!]

I now ‘keep house’ and work full time.

I pay my own bills. And mind you, there are several to pay! This was something done by mum back home. And it takes a lot of organisational skills!

At the same time, I understand the need for balance. By socialising occassionally with friends. Or hitting the beach. Or just staying home watching rented DVDs.

I still find it amazing. Sometimes surreal. At how far forward I have come. And just how much I have grown. Things I used to have to depend on mum for, I no longer do. [Like preparing my own lunch before work!]. I have always been considered mature by family and friends. But if anything, I have become even more mature in the last 6 years. I don’t take certain things for granted anymore. I am able to sacrifice pleasure for some necessities. I have also become so much more independent. And hence, feel more grown-up than some of my older friends here in Aus still living at home with their parents.

I am sure others out there living away from home can understand where I’m coming from.

Moving away from your family makes you appreciate them a whole lot more. And also makes you learn things you never thought you might have needed.

It makes you more confident.

And possibly more able to understand the world around.

So while there have been moments when I’ve missed my mum and dad and sister, I don’t think I would have changed anything.

Because this opportunity to live on my own and fend for myself has made me a much better person. Wiser and stronger. Adaptable and accepting.

If there is one thing I would recommend it is people move out of home before marriage…even if it is for a few months.

It’s an exciting and valuable lesson in life.

Deepthi
    February 13, 2011 at 5:48 am

sometimes introspection like this makes us feel lot better and gives confidence…
    good luck and keep going!!

Pesto Sauce
    February 13, 2011 at 11:23 am

I could relate to your post completely…1 year back I was where you were 6 years back but then life in Muscat has been an experience for me – liberating, educating but also entertaining. I too would recommend atleast one stint outside home preferably abroad before settling down in life

Swaram
    February 14, 2011 at 7:14 am

Glad that u r enjoying all that 🙂 We seem to be birth year buddies 😉

February 14, 2011 at 8:05 am

Welcome Deepthi! And yes, it’s good to look back on your life once in a while and give yourself a pat on the back… =)

February 14, 2011 at 8:15 am

It is, isn’t it?? Bet you feel like a completely different person… =) And yeah, going abroad is a plus…but I reckon even if people could move out of home in India, it would be good…

February 14, 2011 at 8:19 am

=) We are birth year buddies, are we? Cool! I may be older than you though…have already had my birthday for the year…

aki
    February 14, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I’ll be moving out soon too… this is encouraging 🙂
    good luck wid life!

Jake
    February 14, 2011 at 3:26 pm

🙂 … can completely relate to this.
    Was in the same situation when I moved to the UK four years ago.
    Although in my case, things were the exact opposite.
    I was always labeled as the immature one by everyone,
    and it probably was true…being the youngest in the family,
    I got pampered a lot, and all of a sudden I had to learn to take care
    of myself.

Its funny I’ve never thought about it, guess it got lost in the noise somewhere…..

Anyway, congrads to you, those are some huge strides in
    just a few years. I still can’t drive 🙁 and my sister makes fun of it.

But I’m proud of the two different intruments I learned to play 🙂

February 14, 2011 at 3:27 pm

moving out and managing things on our own is definitely worth the experience…there’s so much to learn and grow and it gives one that opportunity. 🙂

February 14, 2011 at 3:27 pm

and oh congratulations on your 6years of growing 🙂

February 15, 2011 at 9:09 am

Good luck with it Aki! I’m sure it’ll be a great experience…

February 15, 2011 at 10:21 am

Lol…even if you are immature, moving out can make you mature! Definite medicine for anyone who is immature or even those considered spoilt brats! 😛 But sometimes, you really should think about how far you have come and give yourself a pat on the back! And congrats on learning two instruments! Very impressive!!!

February 15, 2011 at 10:24 am

Yep…I knew you would know what I meant as well…you’ve been there and done that! 🙂

February 15, 2011 at 10:24 am

Haha…thanks T! =)

Celestialrays
    February 15, 2011 at 11:05 am

I liked the part where you said move out and live by yourself before marriage, I can’t tell you how much I am nodding for it 😀
    Could totally connect with it 🙂 Congrats on the 6 years 🙂

Bikram
    February 15, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Now thats a coincidence its +3 years to me , to yours on the same day I arrivced in UK he hehe 🙂 hmmm and i guess i can also say the same things that you have mentioned .. learn a lot in these years

and so true what you said .. the day i signed the contract for my own house .. my car and other things its some achievement i am sure if i was still in india i would not have been able to achieve all that i have had here …

and as you say it makes us appreciate what we have more and THEM too they appreciate us more tooo …

yes fending for oneelf and takeing the decisions right or wrong .. whatever has taught me a lot too. and have learnt from experience .. 🙂
    i can so relate to this post ..

Bikram’s

Magali
    February 15, 2011 at 8:32 pm

This is great. I hope to have similar experiences one day. Congrats & virtual hugs 🙂

Uma
    February 16, 2011 at 5:15 pm

First time here… took me down memory lane… and I completely agree with you on the point – away from family experience is really enriching… helps you discover yourself…

February 17, 2011 at 5:33 am

Hehe Divz…people definitely grow having to fend for themselves!! Glad you could connect with it…had a feeling you might!

February 17, 2011 at 6:01 am

Ahh…that is an interesting coincidence Bikram! 🙂 All that you have achieved sounds great! And yes, even if we make wrong decisions, that’s how we learn, isn’t it? It’s not like we are always going to have our parents to fall back on…glad you could relate to this one! 🙂

February 17, 2011 at 6:01 am

Hope you do too Mags! It’s a great learning curve in life! =) *Hugs*

February 17, 2011 at 6:02 am

Welcome Uma! I’m glad the post was able to take you down memory lane too! Do leave a link for your blog as you keep visiting. =)

Rachit Sharma
    February 18, 2011 at 4:01 pm

it felt like I was reading my own story.. yeah ppl should experience a hostel life for once in their life..

kellyansapansa
    February 19, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I couldn’t agree more – moving out of home at 18 was the best thing I ever did!

February 20, 2011 at 8:48 am

Definitely…you really learn heaps don’t you Rachit? Glad you could relate to the post… =)

February 20, 2011 at 8:49 am

You grow up really quickly with all the responsibilities, eh? Absolutely love it and I think my friends who still live at home here in Aus (where there are ample opportunities to move out..) are missing out big time on growing up and other things life away from family offers…

Avada Kedavra
    March 2, 2011 at 9:48 am

Read this earlier but couldnt comment. Great post! I agree with what you have written at the end.. people should stay out of home alone for sometime atleast.. you learn so much!!! I learnt almost everything you have mentioned there.. Now I have the confidence to overcome any challenge in life 🙂

Avada Kedavra
    March 2, 2011 at 9:49 am

And congrats on completing 6 yrs!

March 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I’m sure any one who has lived away from home could relate to this post
    Ava…and as you said, probably learnt everything that we have both learnt!
    And yes, it gives you so much confidence!

March 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm