Life

If I could change the world…

If you were boss of the world, what is one thing you would change? Just one.

This is Challenge 72 put forth by BlogThis. And it is a hard one because there are so many things I would love to change! But given that there’s only one thing I can, this is what it would be:

I propose to change the way information is presented via the media

• The media will no longer be allowed to sensationalise news and can only report facts.
  • The media will focus on people doing good for society and not on trashy celebrities. In fact, people like Britney Spears or Lady Gaga or Lindsey Lohan will not be reported on at all. Rather, the media will focus on the common man doing something altruistic or the researcher developing a cure for AIDS and cancer.
  • No one will get their 15 minutes of fame for acting like a wanker or uploading a stupid YouTube video or tweeting.
  • The media will not be allowed to make judgements about anyone. Only report the facts.
  • TV shows like A Current Affair or Today Tonight will be banned unless they focus on the goodness of people. No more shows on bludgers or weight loss and miracle diets and clothes.
  • Sportspersons being idiots by urinating in public or getting into fights will not get any air-time. Instead the ones doing good can be praised.
  • Morning show presenters will not be permitted to go to disaster zones and report as though the end of the world is nearing. And they will be penalised for looking disappointed if there are no casualties as a result of a natural disaster.

So I repeat, if I could change the world, I’ll change the manner in which the media presents information. I hope to make it more ethical and humane and useful than the bunch of crap it currently is.

Sandykundra
    April 20, 2011 at 10:55 am

Hi
    Interesting that you chose to change the media rather than ‘world peace’ or ‘environment. although now that I think about it, it was the right choice- after all, information is power.

Anyway, I have been following your blog for sometime now and its brilliant! So I am giving the versatile blogger award to you! Check it out at http://confusedyuppie.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/versatile-blogger-award/.
    I am now waiting to read your random facts.
    Cheers!

Prats
    April 20, 2011 at 10:55 am

Quite an interesting choice… Not sure what I would do If I get a chance like this. Although I totally agree and support your last statement “I hope to make it more ethical and humane and useful than the bunch of crap it currently is.” but not only for media but for entire world, corporations, politicians, governments, people.

April 20, 2011 at 1:09 pm

🙂 would love to be a part of such a world, for sure 🙂

Bikram
    April 20, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I hope you do get the oppurtunity to change it then.. all the best and AMEN to all those changes …

Bikram’s

April 21, 2011 at 4:09 am

I thought I’d try something different to world peace and the
    environment…after all, it’s what everyone says! 🙂 And thanks for the
    award! Really appreciate it!

soulmate
    April 21, 2011 at 4:10 am

A paradigm shift is needed in the way media presents the information. Most of it is not required and the one which is presented, is blown out of the proportion… Completely insensitive they are…
    I also feel that we also need to change. There is a certain mass which actually likes this kind of information and the way it is put across by the media..

April 21, 2011 at 4:10 am

Prats, I agree in terms of ethics for everyone…but lately (read: last 10
    years) the media has been my soap box issue and it has been getting worse by
    the day! I cannot stand the way in which information is sensationalised.
    Facts are no longer important it seems. And don’t even get me started on the
    Hollywood and Bollywood and C-list celebs stuff….

April 21, 2011 at 4:11 am

Let’s do it together T! 🙂 Power in more than one person for sure… 😀

April 21, 2011 at 4:14 am

Hehe…I dream about it Bikram…sigh…not sure if it will ever happen!

April 21, 2011 at 4:17 am

Soulmate, you are spot on! There is so much blown out of proportion world
    over! And in terms of insensitivity, you should have seen what happened here
    some months ago when Cyclone Yasi hit Cairns…there was a ‘journalist’ from
    one of the morning news shows who actually looked disappointed that there
    were no fatalities!!

Racahs
    April 21, 2011 at 1:07 pm

interesting and quite appreciative.. its bit emotional too 🙂

komal bhatia
    April 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Pretty much the change the world requires now desperately:)
    Nice viewpoint!!

April 21, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Welcome here Racahs! Thanks for the lovely comment… 🙂

April 21, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Welcome here Komal! Thanks for the comment…the media does seem to be
    getting out of control world over these days. Hence the rant! 😛

Jake George
    April 21, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Not too long ago there was a time when I actually believed that we can change the world, rock n roll can save the world … yeah scrap religion and all our problems will be over, the rant would go on and on . Guess I was pretty naive, while I believe that everyone can do his/her part for the better of society I don’t believe that we can actually “save” the world. In short we can always better the current world but not up to Utopian standards.

But if god showed up right now as I am typing this and told me “hey wise ass, whats with all the pessimistic remarks ? ok, I’ll give you the choice to solve one problem literally overnight so choose your pick” I would ask him to sterilize human beings of greed, make us immune to it , do whatever it takes change our DNA makeup, genetic code…whatever have to be done get rid of that ugly trait.

April 22, 2011 at 12:26 am

That’s a good one too Jake…getting rid of greed. We are becoming more and
    more narcissistic by the day. I do think we are idealistic in terms of
    changing the world…but like you we can always do things to make the world
    a better place however small it is.

JaaliEngineer
    April 27, 2011 at 3:55 am

Great choice for the element that you want to change..Come to think of it it may be the right choice..Add one more thing though, reporting on the positive news and successes of people and not just pure cynicism

Mel Bezear
    April 27, 2011 at 7:15 am

I think that would be a really good start. The (collective) media are responsible for a heck of a lot of misery.
    Nice post!

Mel
    April 27, 2011 at 7:17 am

Nice post, thanks!

April 28, 2011 at 12:45 am

Welcome to this space Jaali! Noted your point as well…not just cynicism or
    even tall-poppy syndrome stuff but honestly wanting to commend someone.

April 28, 2011 at 12:46 am

Welcome here Mel! Tell me about it — they seem to thrive on making people
    miserable although we could also blame them for us being desensitised.
    Thanks for the lovely comment!

kelsbells
    May 17, 2011 at 1:28 am

Interesting how you say that the media isn’t allowed to make judgements, but the step before you make a comment that “No one will get their 15 minutes of fame for acting like a wanker or uploading a stupid YouTube video or tweeting.”  Doesn’t that mean that whatever is posted has to meet your own specific judgement criteria? But then again, if you were boss of the world you WOULD get to rule in what was good or not 🙂

Hutch
    May 31, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I have to say, PsychBabbler, that I strongly disagree with you on this matter. I recognize that you’d be trying to do some good, but honestly, to me it sounds more like oppression than betterment of society.
    There’s a reason that the media has evolved into what it is today: it presents the content in the world that people are most interested in. Sure, you’d be hard pressed to find someone who’d argue that Paris Hilton’s nip-slip is a more important topic to discuss than something like AIDS. But the fact of the matter is that, at the end of a long day, people don’t necessarily want to hear about malignant cancer or a serial rapist. Personally, I hate how the news has become story after story about suicide bombs and kidnappings. Now, don’t get me wrong, I would hate it even more if CNN turned into “Crazy Things Britney Does”, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that I would want it to be a Stalinist, entertainment free medium for information.
    Bottom line, the reason that the media presents information the way that it does is because that is the way that the majority of people want it. I don’t know why we care so much about Arnold’s love child, but I think that the media is a product of popular demand.

This was a very interesting post to read though, PsychBabbler. I thoroughly enjoyed reading what you had to say about this topic. Check out my blog! http://connor-smorgasblog.blogspot.com/

June 2, 2011 at 1:58 am

Welcome to this space Hutch! And you are of course, completely entitled to
    your opinions. Yes, I agree I may have gone to the other extreme…and I do
    believe the media now probably sells what is being bought by people. I still
    would like though if we focused more on something that’s actually
    worthwhile. That’s actually for the betterment of society and setting a good
    example. Rather than how many times Lindsey bloody Lohan got out of jail. If
    they have to focus on celebs, I would prefer the focus on the good work done
    by them…like Sean Penn’s work or Bono’s work or George Clooney’s work than
    on how many times people got jailed for drinking. Will hop over to your
    space. Do keep visiting!