Scarred

scars outside
eventually a mask
covering the abuse
from her
past
This has been written for One Single Impression Prompt 170

Disclaimer: Please note that abuse does not cause deliberate self-harm; it is an unhelpful way in which some people cope with hurt and pain because they do not know any other way of reducing the psychological pain and hurt. Apparently, cutting helps focus on a physical pain and thereby distracts them from the pain within. This is what I’ve heard from clients who engage in deliberate self-harm and is not through my own experience in any way. I would also recommend you to not use this coping strategy.

Thank you BlogAdda for choosing this for a Spicy Saturday Pick

15 Comments

1. Prateek Bagri

May 29, 2011 at 4:17 am

Wow, wow, wow! A series of diamond shape with embedded poem. No wonder these “diamond” testifies you’re a girl. 😛

2. Psych Babbler

May 29, 2011 at 5:26 am

I’m glad it worked out the way I wanted it to…not that the diamond was the
    key… 🙂

3. Jim

May 30, 2011 at 2:06 am

Hi Baps ~~ First, i like your diamond shape.  )
    Next though, I do not like the idea of cutting either.  Through your reasoning it could be like biting your tongue hard so you couldn’t feel a toothache.
    Also there is the part that “this is my body, I can do with it as I please and you cannot do a thing abuot it.”  That goes for tatoos for sure.

4. Psych Babbler

May 30, 2011 at 2:12 am

Welcome here Jim! Thanks for the lovely comment re the shape…I’m glad it worked out okay. 🙂 I find the reason behind some people cutting quite surprising too…but that’s what I’ve heard first hand from self-harmers. All I can say is that the inside pain must be horrible because there have been times when shaving my legs and stuff I’ve accidentally cut myself and it bloody hurts!!!! I don’t know how people do it deliberately.

5. Teri

May 30, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Such an interesting shape.  That whole cutting business can certainly scar mentally and physically.

6. Psych Babbler

May 30, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Thanks Teri…re the shape, I was trying something new and glad it worked
    out! And you’re right re self-harm itself despite being a coping strategy is
    scarring physically and mentally. Ironic, isn’t it?

7. Premi

June 1, 2011 at 10:34 am

Does the cut help the inner wounds and the scars eventually a mask?
    The scar is scary both physically and mentally…

8. Psych Babbler

June 1, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Yes Premi, the cutting apparently is a way of coping with pain on the
    inside…emotional or psychological pain…and hence I talk about the scars
    (from physical cutting) as being a mask for the emotional pain of the
    person… and yes, definitely scary!

9. Titaxy

June 3, 2011 at 4:32 pm

how did i miss this! very nicely done.

10. Itisnu

June 8, 2011 at 12:07 pm

congrats !!!

11. KayEm

June 12, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Inflicting physical pain sounds like a sad and temporary way to cope with mental anguish. Would sharing their mental agony with someone they trust be an option? I feel a bit out of my depth.

12. Giribala

June 12, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Well written! Disturbing yet insightful!