Soapbox Issues

For same-sex marriage? Same as accepting incest!

Apparently according to Anglican archbishop of Sydney, Peter Jensen, if we accept and legalise same-sex marriage, it would be the same as accepting incest or polygamy. Not only that, he seems to think that by legalising it, homosexuality would be “normalised” particularly in sex education in schools. Because, homosexuality as all religious fanatics know, is ‘abnormal’.  And if you thought he couldn’t get any more obnoxious, he also thinks that by legalising same-sex marriage, the family unit would be undermined.

This is the reason I have a problem with religion.

On the one hand, god in all religions supposedly preached tolerance. And yet, the ultra-religious tend to be the least tolerant people on the planet. No other religion can exist apart from their own. No other way of life can exist apart from what they think is right. It really angers me.

I would like to ask the archbishop whether he knows what incest is. He thinks it is immediate family members getting married to one another. Well, does he know that in some cultures, that does happen? And no, they have not legalised same-sex marriage. And whether he knows that polygamy exists in some off-shoots of Christianity (like the Mormons) who also have not legalised same-sex marriages.

And the family unit? With more and more single parent households, what unit are we talking about? Couples no longer have to be married to have kids. Is that a problem too for the archbishop? [Probably is given the title of his speech] So is he going to say that defacto relationships should also be considered abnormal? There are legal rights for couples in defacto relationships? Does that mean we are normalising it and sending a bad message to the younger generation? Oh dear.

A recent longitudinal study comparing children of lesbian parents and their peers with heterosexual parents found no difference on measures of social development or behaviour. Moreover, they found that children in lesbian homes scored higher than their peers in straight families on measures of self-esteem and confidence, did better academically and were less likely to have behavioural problems. Another study has shown that zero percent of lesbian mothers are abusive.

I know the religious people go on and on about how marriage is between a man and a woman. If I remember correctly, the same religious people did not allow the word divorce into their vocabulary. But lots of religious people get divorced today. So who is to say that the term ‘marriage’ cannot be adopted for a union between a man and a man, a woman and a woman as well as a man and a woman.

Move on people. And Ms Gillard, please take it upon yourself to make this change occur. To legalise same-sex marriage. This is one way in which we can actually move forward. [Even if you do get opposed by the religious fanatic leading the opposition party]

Cheers!!

Aakash Johry
    June 10, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Agreed. Same-sex marriages are a big taboo back here. I think every change takes its course of evolving, and this shall to be accepted sooner or later by the so-called protectors of religion.

Jake
    June 10, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Well, its because of shit like this that the founding fathers of the U.S wrote in separation of church and state into the U.S constitution, and yet look at the plight of the country, religious fundamentalism has got to a state where the country is moving backwards in time. I don’t know a lot about what the situation is Aus is like but I think its far better than the U.S .

The problem I have with religion is its baseless and based on blind faith. No matter how much evidence you stick on the face of the nuts to prove that homosexuality has genetic causes and unlike popular belief is natural they won’t accept it. The screw balls will say but my religious book says otherwise,
    And if you question the authenticity of the text they will put a price on your head.

Comfy
    June 10, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Sometimes I wonder that do these people even put a thought behind what they are saying. Or are they like the politicians who will say about anything to get the votes (in this case to keep people following them). They are supposed to be the voice of people, who can sway opinions and they use it in all the wrong ways. 😐

Itisnu
    June 11, 2011 at 12:06 am

you’ve put so aptly !

June 11, 2011 at 5:11 am

Yep Aakash…eventually it will be accepted. Hopefully it will be in our
    lifetime!

June 11, 2011 at 5:55 am

You’re right Jake…the situation in Aus is a bit better than the US for
    sure. Unfortunately we have a god-botherer who is currently leading the
    oppositional party who had once upon a time wanted to become a priest. He;s
    a joke. Our PM on the other hand is a self-proclaimed atheist. Unfortunately
    though, given the climate, she is still not open to legalising same-sex
    marriages. US went downhill thanks to the republicans. The church and the
    state should definitely be separate but you have to wonder how much
    influence religion still has in several countries. You can see it in the
    fundamentalist Muslim countries and even in India sometimes. I could do a
    whole other post on this to be honest so I’ll leave that here for now.

And yes, the same way as back in the day no one believed Galileo when he
    said the world was round, the religious fools can’t seem to understand the
    biological basis for homosexuality. And if you think about Kinsey’s studies
    back in the 60s then all human beings are inherently bisexual. But of
    course, no scientist is god for these people and hence the ridiculous
    ‘conclusions’.

June 11, 2011 at 6:00 am

The funny thing Comfy is that I think they do believe what they are saying.
    They are so messed up in the head that they think what they say is true with
    absolutely no facts or figures to back it up…all in the name of god. And
    it’s scary the amount of influence they can have as you said…people will
    blindly take their word.

June 11, 2011 at 6:01 am

🙂 Thanks Nu. Now to just hope people who are likely to get influenced by
    this guy read stuff like this and then make up their minds!

Jake
    June 11, 2011 at 1:27 pm

That’s one thing I liked, I remember reading an interview of Julia Gillard somewhere, this was after she became the PM, and I was surprised to learn that she is an atheist. I mean ..when you think about right now Australia is probably the only country in the world where something like that is possible. Forget the U.S but even in the U.K where religion is not taken that seriously, I doubt if people will be happy to vote for someone who is openly an atheist. So that says a lot about literacy levels in the country ..hats off to that.

Spot on about Galileo, I’ve always felt that we are currently in a transition period, like when science was developing at a furious pace in Europe and the church was getting restless. Hopefully after this one people will be more accepting of homosexuality. But come to think of it, there will be people who won’t accept it (again because of religion) just like how the fundamentalists are still rejecting evolution.

Prats
    June 11, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I think the person who said this is sick in mind and has a very narrow view of things but blaming this on religion is a over kill. As you said religion teaches tolerance its some obnoxious human beings who try and become the sole contractors responsible for the religion

pam lee-miller
    June 11, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I so agree with you.  I just did a post on this over at http://www.pleemiller.blogspot.com.  It is called coloring outside the lines.  People are people..the sooner we learn to celebrate our differences the better off the world will be

June 12, 2011 at 4:45 am

I guess it does say something…however, she only won narrowly thanks to
    support from the Independents. So not completely sure about how open minded
    the people in general are. And yes, let’s hope we are in a transition period
    at the moment and the fundamentalists will be in the minority in the future!

June 12, 2011 at 4:47 am

I think my frustration with religion is that the people preaching it
    conveniently adapt it to their own sick needs. It’s like the whole jihad
    thing as well. And personally, I’ve always believed that if religion didn’t
    exist, half the problems wouldn’t either. None of the religious wars
    throughout history would have occurred. Oh well. Wishful thinking I know.

June 12, 2011 at 4:53 am

Exactly Pam! Going over to read your post now…

Bikram
    June 13, 2011 at 9:32 am

rightly said … but then there area lot of DO GOODERS … toooo

who think otherwise my adive if they are going up the wrong tree let them … nothing much we can do as such …

Bikram’s