Movies

10 Day Challenge: Three Films

So far, in case you have missed the series of this 10 Day challenge, I have completed Ten Secrets, Nine loves, Eight fears, Seven wants, Six places, Five foods and Four books. Now we are on to Three films. Once again, a very broad topic. I guess what I might do is highlight three films I found extremely significant in one way or the other in each decade of my life [Yes, I know I’m 27 which means the last ‘decade’ will be the last seven years only].

1. Mary Poppins

The one movie I remember fondly from my childhood is Mary Poppins. To the point where I bought the DVD a couple of years ago. I loved the entire movie…right from the beginning where Jane and Michael Banks write an ad for a nanny and their father thinks it’s ridiculous and rips it up to the point where Mary Poppins comes into their lives. The movie is filled with everything a child could ask for — fun, magic, laughs, breaking the rules, and family. My favourite bit was and is the part when they jump into the picture. And I knew and still remember the words to all the songs. Mary Poppins, the movie, to me was “practically perfect in every way”. And I can spell Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. I think.
2. You’ve Got Mail
Although the start of my teenage years was marked by Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, the most memorable movie for me was around the time I was 14. I had finished Year 10 and for the first time went in to the city with just friends to watch a movie. That movie was You’ve got mail. There were some aspects of the movie I didn’t completely get at the time thanks to be internet-ignorant. But I still fell in love with the movie and the characters. I loved Meg Ryan’s character and the fact that she owned a book store made it all the more special. Tom Hanks was very likeable in this role too. This movie was all about love over the internet but not really liking the person in real life. It was a sweet romantic comedy and in my teenage years, made me yearn for something similar. I currently do have the DVD and watch the movie again when I am in the mood for a bit of light rom-com.
3. Little Miss Sunshine
This decade has been a tough one to choose from. Maybe because it is so recent. There were quite a few memorable movies more so because my tastes changed. I have started to prefer drama and alternative movies to the big Hollywood blockbusters. In fact, I avoid going to the movies for almost all the big money spenders. Little Miss Sunshine is probably my most memorable movie from this decade of my life (although ‘Crash’ came close). I think it made dysfunctional families endearing with little Abigail Breslin wanting to be a beauty queen, a father obsessed with success, a teenage boy having a vow of silence until he achieves his goal, an uncle who tried to kill himself after a break-up, a grandfather who is so completely inappropriate and the mum who is trying to hold it all together. I loved the comment it made on society in general and how messed up we all are. I watch this movie over and over again and still laugh and cry along with the characters.
So that’s about it. In my 27 years, these have been the movies in each decade that I remember fondly. And funnily enough, continue to watch again and again. I guess that says something.
What about you? Have you got any memorable movies? Do share.

Lazy Pineapple
    July 22, 2011 at 7:11 am

Lovely selection of movies…out of them You’ve got mail is my favorite and I keep watching it every month. The dialogues are just superb. Have not seen Mary Poppins but have heard it is very good. Little Miss Sunshine is adorable.

I love Andaz Apna Apna..it is such a crazy movie.

July 22, 2011 at 8:42 am

Oh I remember watching Andaz Apna Apna as a teen…it was hilarious in a very slapstick way… 😀

Nia Charms
    July 22, 2011 at 8:55 am

gosh had this challenge at my bllog too. but got bored.

NIA CHARMS

Lifesorchestra
    July 22, 2011 at 8:57 am

Ditto for Pary Poppins … another hot fav from that era for me was Sound of Music !

Bikram
    July 22, 2011 at 10:09 am

🙂 yes i got a long list of movies , I use to watch a hell lot of them when i had all the time ..

Pursuit for happiness, The last of the Mohicans .. Braveheart.. My sisters keepers , and a lot more 🙂
    I loved You have got mail it was nice cool light movie.. and the last one tooo .. have not seem marry poppins 🙂

Bikram’s

July 22, 2011 at 11:12 am

Y’know what? I didn’t like Sound of Music as much back then…maybe because
    I never really got the whole Nazi Germany thing. Plus the rich man and
    governess thing felt like bollywood to me :p

July 22, 2011 at 11:12 am

Pursuit of Happyness was a good one Bikram. Haven’t seen any of the others
    mentioned though…

July 22, 2011 at 11:12 am

I mix other posts in between Nia. Doubt I could do all ten in one go like
    some people have done…

Raindrop
    July 22, 2011 at 1:12 pm

In my teeny boppy days it was DDLJ 🙂
    I was also mega impressed with Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar.
    I also loved It’s a wonderful life as a kid.
    In recent years the Shawshank Redemption made a huge impact on me. Have you watched it?
    Also love Roberto Benigni’s Life is Beautiful.
    Oh…I mentioned 5 instead of 3!

Priyanka Victor
    July 22, 2011 at 1:33 pm

🙂 You have excellent taste but you don’t need me to tell you that.

The problem is when I can’t choose THREE movies out of all the ones I practically worship…
    Maybe A Mighty Heart?

July 22, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I haven’t seen Mary Poppins 🙁 Will do soon

writerzblock
    July 22, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Love all the movies that you have listed. Infact just this morning, I came across a DVD of You’ve Got Mail and was thinking to myself, that that is one of my all time favs 🙂 And I loved CRASH too. Absolutely brilliant movie.

July 22, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Thanks for the comment about my taste Priyanka! Haven’t watched Mighty
    Heart. Know what you mean by how difficult it is to choose!

July 22, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Same tastes Pal! 🙂

Jo Bryant
    July 23, 2011 at 9:52 pm

What an interesting challenge. I have my top 25 movies here if you are interested.

July 23, 2011 at 11:32 pm

It is a fun challenge Jo…others get to know a bit more about you and it’s interesting to do…hopping over to your blog!

Prateek Gupta
    July 26, 2011 at 5:04 am

Very frankly I hated Lil’ Miss Sunshine…. the idea that grandfather could make her granddaughter do such act was disgusting. Anyways I am a sucker for happy endings and I didn’t felt that movie has a point of closure which I would expect or like to have… but then i know a lot of people who loved this movie 🙂

July 26, 2011 at 5:32 am

Each to their own Prats. I think the reason I liked the movie was the fact
    that it reflects society so perfectly. We are f*ed up in our own way and all
    families are dysfunctional no matter what they portray outside!