Humour

Unusual names

Earlier in the week, somehow the topic of unusual baby names came up during my book club meeting. [Yes, we discuss the book but we also talk about a zillion other things!] So anyway, I think it started with the whole Beckham’s naming their daughter Harper Seven apparently because the number seven was so important to him. Somehow or the other, it’s mainly celebrities that give their kids unusual names. Apple. Peaches. Banjo. Bluebell Madonna. Sunday Rose [Which sounds eerily like Sunday Roast]. Zuma. You can check this out for about a 100 more.

Through work and other things, I’ve heard of some more unusual names. Or weirdly spelt names.

For instance, Cooper, Harley and Riley. Lovely names. Except, they are girls. Or how about Tim Tan. Which sounds like Tim Tam. Or Tiffany spelt Tiphanee or Britney spelt Brittannee. Or Cougar. The name Albert sounds pretty all right. But not when you put it with the last name Ross. Say this out loud: Albert Ross. And this is an unfortunate name for developers of a psychometric test to have — Woodcock and Johnson [Developed the Woodcock-Johnson test of achievement and intelligence]. I remember last year or the year before, in the US, there was a couple who had named their kids Adolph and Hitler. I think they had the kids taken away from them by children’s services.

You also need to be careful when naming your kids what the initials may stand for. I know someone who got teased for initials B. O. At the book club, someone mentioned a friend deciding to not name their kid Jennifer Elizabeth Williams. Normal name. But initials are J.E.W. You never know who you could offend. I’m pretty sure in years to come there will be kids name Twitter and Facebook or Myspace or Bebo.

What about all the Indian names that are spelt differently so as to adhere to the numerological gods for luck? Apparently, mine kinda falls in that category too. My grandfather who was a big believer in astrology and numerology made my parents change a letter in a name they had thought for me and instead added a couple of other letters. To this day, in India, people always confuse the spelling of my name. Having said that, it’s not as weird or unusual as say, Kareena to Kariena and then back to Kareena or Tushar to Tusshar or Sunil to Suniel or Krishna to Kkrrishnaa. And don’t even get me started on those Bollywood stars who change their entire name.

I think though, till date, there is one name that takes the cake for me. A friend’s partner who was a teacher had this student on her roll: Le-a. Guess what it says?

Ledasha [Phonetically: luh-dash-ah]

Those parents need to be reported for child abuse.

So what are some unusual or weird names you have encountered? Do share.

R.Bit
    July 15, 2011 at 5:43 am

hahahaha I laughed at some of those. And since we are connected by some freaky forces – I was just reading this – http://mashable.com/2011/07/14/baby-bing/

Also, when I view your blog on my phone – somehow Disqus doesn’t load?

Spaceman Spiff
    July 15, 2011 at 6:16 am

I’m a Malayali. And you know what we’re notorious for, don’t you?

We are known for keeping bad names, and the most popular trend is to take a few syllables from the parents’ names, and create a brand new innovative name for the kid. I’ve always wondered why parents do that. In their eagerness to show innovativeness and genius, they gift their children a lifetime of embarrassment.
    Some really weird names I’ve found is Chiefking, Skygate, Homer.. There are more, but so many more that I can’t remember them now. :/

July 15, 2011 at 6:27 am

Lol that’s hilarious the freaky forces! I did read that article on
    SMH…kinda made me think about the convo on Wednesday night and hence the
    post! 🙂

Hmm…I notice that disqus does not appear on the phone for my blog but does
    for yours. Is there some special disqus settings for mobiles? I think I need
    to check this further…

July 15, 2011 at 6:42 am

Ooh…I’ve seen some of those names where it’s half and half. It works. Very
    rarely! But yeah, I don’t understand why parents do such a thing to their
    kid. Don’t they realise the kid will be picked on in school for having a
    weird name??? And Chiefking??? Really?? Sigh…

sidthegnome
    July 15, 2011 at 7:51 am

I have a real issue with fad names; made up names and normal names spelled stupidly (that kath and kim episode where they were thinking of names for kim’s baby summed it up perfectly – “I like Tiffany, spelled double t, double e, ph ph, i, e”), but since my name is “Kirby”, I try not to be too judgemental 🙂

Amy@ New Adventures
    July 15, 2011 at 9:09 am

You know how newborn babies get their pictures published in the paper ( i mean, they do in small town local papers )? Just recently there was a family who had an older boy named Huckleberry…. and had named there newborn boy Inigo, as in Inigo Montoya from the 80’s film ” The Princess Bride “…

Comfy
    July 15, 2011 at 9:47 am

Naming a kid is such a huge responsibility or at least that is what I think. One single decision on the parent’s part can lead to a lifetime of issues for the kids. That is why I am always amazed at some of the names people come up with. Merging the Mom and dad’s name to come up with the kids name seems too egoistic to me especially if the name makes no sense. Likewise only going by the meaning of the name and not taking in to consideration how the name can be used to bully the kid seems sad. Example a lot of Indian names have ‘shit’ in the name. Then there is the entire issue of how the name is perceived. ‘Aryan’ though a very nice and simple name has a very strong German (Nazi) perception in the western countries so naming your kid that leaves him open to a lot of negativity as he grows up. And then there is the race about naming the kids with a unique name (which no one else has) and over time they get more and more complicated.
    At some point the parents need to realize that it is the kid who has to live with these names. It is about the kids and not really about the parents.

Prateek
    July 15, 2011 at 10:25 am

Hahaha! My name is spared. All hail Mom and Dad.

The Unwise Prevails Over the Wise

Richa
    July 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm

“Apparently, mine kinda falls in that category too. My grandfather who was a big believer in astrology and numerology made my parents change a letter in a name they had thought for me and instead added a couple of other letters.”Of course, you have a name. I am sorry I have become so accustomed to thinking of you as PB that it took me a moment to realize that. There are no extra letters in your pseudonym!

One of my earlier room-mate had the family name “Tan”. When her niece was born, her brother and sister-in-law decided to name their daughter “Summer”. My room-mate always referred to it as child-abuse. Poor girl would have to live with the name “Summer Tan”.  😀

July 15, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Lol…I try not being too judgemental too given my name (although I do love the Aussie pronunciation of it and have totally taken it on) but you have got to wonder what goes on in parents minds to come up with such names and spellings. When I did an internship some years ago doing psychometric assessments, my friends and I noticed a weird thing — most kids we ended up diagnosing with a reading disorder (difficulty with phonetics), tended to have names spelt differently. Like Tiffany with a ‘ph’ or a Latietia…was strange.

July 15, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Inigo? That’s an unusual name (especially as I haven’t watched Princess Bride). And while I enjoyed reading about Huckleberry it’s cruel to name a kid that in this day and age…names being published in the local papers would be a good source to find out what not to name your kid I suppose! 😛

July 15, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Hehe…lol

July 15, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head Comfy…I reckon parents do think it’s about them. The child’s name is something creative they came up with. Or something of significance to them. And the poor kid is stuck with it for life. They want to be unique and in the process probably screw up the kids chances from the very beginning! And yes, given what a global society we are these days, it probably would be worthwhile to take into consideration how a name would be perceived outside one’s own country!

July 15, 2011 at 11:12 pm

ROFL Richa! That cracked me up this morning…that you thought of my name as PB! 😀 Hehe…I wonder how many others thought that too. 🙂 If and when I do disclose my name, you’ll know what I mean. nd don;t apologise for that btw. 🙂

And Summer Tan…oh dear! Summer is a lovely name but people really need to consider the last names too!!!

Dee
    July 16, 2011 at 1:46 pm

absolutelyyyyy enjoyed your post!!! 🙂

July 16, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Dee… 🙂 Always love making people laugh when I can!

Sudha
    July 17, 2011 at 7:26 am

Loved your post . 🙂 I too did a post on names but traditional names.

sidthegnome
    July 17, 2011 at 8:42 am

That is true – someone I knew here in Derby had her baby in the paper because she entered her in one of those “so-all-about-the-parents” baby competitions and she had an unusual name – Nefertari. All the Thomas’s and Emmas missed out on a big photo spread and an article.

July 17, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Why does that sound like something out of Harry Potter? No, not a person’s
    name but literally one of the magical creatures…

July 17, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Welcome here Sudha! And thanks for the comment…glad you enjoyed the post!
    🙂

Niraj
    April 1, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Names – ahh! u got me started on my fav topic.My parents named me Niraj , which means a lotus flower.I guess they did an exquisite job at that.Until I came to know that it is a guyish name in India (I was born and brought up in Libya).
    All my life I have answering people why I have guy kinda name.Thought of changing i too, but then I realized I am my name, my life ,my success everything is signed off – Niraj.

My funky write up about names :