All about the mind

App, App and away…

I am not the best person to be talking about technology.

In fact, in today’s world, I am probably very technologically-challenged. From the outset, I have refused to buy into the ‘i’ shenanigans and jump on their bandwagon. But I have caved in and got an android phone. Even so, the only apps on my phone are the blogging related ones or the twitter app.

However, even technologically-challenged me can see the importance of technology and the manner in which we are all becoming dependent on it. And while I fear for the future with regards to some aspects of technology, I must grudgingly admit that there are other areas I am glad are being developed.

One such area is apps. No, not just our basic twitter or facebook or blogger apps. But rather, more useful ones.

Being a psychologist who assesses children’s learning and developmental abilities (in addition to mental health), I tend come across a number of children with learning disabilities including reading disorders, expressive and receptive language disorders, mathematics disorder, pervasive developmental disorders and autism spectrum disorders. When I diagnose learning disabilities, I tend to provide recommendations to schools and parents about what can be done to better help the child. Sometimes though, I feel like I fight a losing battle because schools may not have enough funding to actually help a child with a learning disorder. As a result, those with reading disorders, language disorders and maths disorders do not always get the help they need.

However, with the improvements in technology, hopefully this will soon be history. Hopefully, parents will be able to help kids in their own homes and teachers won’t necessarily have to depend on teacher’s aides to come in and help these kids. Some apps I found useful in this regard through Intel AppUp are the following:

1. The ANTILO app

This is an app to help individuals with expressive language problems. So while it assists someone with an expressive language disorder, it can also be used by individuals with an autism spectrum disorder as they tend to have expressive lanaguage problems, and adults with expressive language difficulties following strokes or due to dementia. This app helps the user translate text to speech, uses images to better help understanding and expressing onself, and also helps the user practice listening and communicating. I can think of at least a couple of clients of mine who would greatly benefit from this app. One has a severe expressive language problem and finds it hard to communicate what happens at school and as a result gets very frustrated when others don’t understand. This app would help him express himself better, thereby reducing that frustration and anger at himself.

2. Phonics made easy flash action

Individuals with a reading disorder more often than not have a problem with phonology i.e. understanding the sounds of letters. Hence, generally after being diagnosed, they are recommended to get more assistance with phonics and phonological awareness. However, more often than not, in order to do so, parents have to shell out money to see a speech pathologist. But right here with this program, learning phonics becomes fun and cheaper and something that can be done at home. All parents would have to do is purchase the app and then spending an hour each day with their child to learn the basic phonological skills and test them too. The main aim of this app appears to be that learning should be fun. And for a child who is has difficulty with learning and therefore loses interest easily, learning needs to be made fun!

3. Phonics Pencil Pal

Similar to the previous app, this one too is a brilliant one for kids with reading disorders. Teaching them the basics of phonology in a fun way is what is needed and what better way than having Zachary Zebra and his team teach them!

I can learn to use technology a bit more if this is where we are headed. Hopefully in the future, there will also be more apps to assist individuals with an autism spectrum disorder understand social cues and nonverbal messages. And who knows? There may be an app for anger management so that kids can use that to help them before they blow up and get into trouble. After all, with the next generation being more tech-savvy, that’s where my client base is headed.

And it is only sensible if I keep up to date with the apps.

But for the time being, I know I am going to be recommending the aove apps to some of the parents.

So is there going to be a therapy app?

You just never know!

This blog is an entry to the “My Favorite PC App” contest. Check out numerous apps for PC/Netbooks available at the Intel AppUp Center. If you are looking for an opportunity to build and monetize your applications, check out the Intel® Atom™ Developer Program.

pri
    August 21, 2011 at 9:58 am

a great way of incorporating technology into your professional line of work…im sure, as someone specialising in child learning and dev disorders, this app must be very helpful to you..

you can read my entry here—
    ‘my favorite PC app—not a school essay mindya!

pri
    August 21, 2011 at 9:58 am

you can read my entry here—
    ‘my favorite PC app—not a school essay mindya!

Diaz
    August 21, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Nice post.

Diaz
    August 21, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Nice post.

August 21, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Welcome here Diaz! Thanks for the comment… 🙂

August 21, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Welcome here Diaz! Thanks for the comment… 🙂

Jake
    August 22, 2011 at 9:28 am

I don’t have anything against apps but it always bugs me that they just keep calling them by a special name i.e. “apps” when in reality its just a web application , the same stuff all of us have been using all the while along . They have just given it a fancy name and I just can’t understand why ? what the point it. I guess its because I’m looking at it through the eyes of a developer.

Jake
    August 22, 2011 at 9:28 am

August 22, 2011 at 11:31 am

I hear you Jake…I guess being technologically challenged has its advantages in that this doesn’t bother me…but I can understand your point. It’s similar to most things in the world though, don’t you reckon? Wrap something up in a fancy way and present it as new…when in fact, nothing has changed! 😛

August 22, 2011 at 11:31 am

Jake
    August 22, 2011 at 2:42 pm

oh believe me thats what it is , I dont know who came up with the name but to a developer its just really funny , its like what these life style mags do you would see an article with the title “how to get abs in 5 weeks” (which is probably swill) and then a month later you they have another issue with a main article of the title “gym free abs” which would pretty much be the same thing repackaged. People must really think consumers are stupid.

Jake
    August 22, 2011 at 2:42 pm

VishTech2
    August 23, 2011 at 6:33 am

here is a nice App Which Will be very helpful to you
    -Maintain health eyes when in front of the computer with Eyes Relaxhttp://bit.ly/vt2blog33

Do give your comments ….Thanks

VishTech2
    August 23, 2011 at 6:33 am

here is a nice App Which Will be very helpful to you

Do give your comments ….Thanks

August 23, 2011 at 10:35 am

Welcome here Vish…thanks for the link…will check it out…

August 23, 2011 at 10:35 am

Welcome here Vish…thanks for the link…will check it out…

August 23, 2011 at 10:36 am

Lol…now you have reminded me of the telly programs here on ‘A Current Affair’ or ‘Today Tonight’ which is basically trash but every few months it’s like they rework their material and come up with the same stuff…how to lose weight, miracle diets, miracle bras, poisonous meat, rip off salesmen…same thing every few months…I think they really do think we are all idiots!

August 23, 2011 at 10:36 am

You can read and promote my post if you like it at:

To go from Beware Money to Be Money Aware visit

VishTech2
    August 30, 2011 at 7:04 am

Well-written insightful post. God luck for the contest 🙂

you can Read and promote my post if you like it at:

“Maintain healthy eyes when in front of the computer”

I hope it will be useful for you to.

VishTech2
    August 30, 2011 at 7:04 am

Well-written insightful post. God luck for the contest 🙂

you can Read and promote my post if you like it at:

“Maintain healthy eyes when in front of the computer”

I hope it will be useful for you to.

VeniceRowe
    August 30, 2011 at 7:06 am

Hi PB, this post is very informative, and it was good to see that there are apps that can help people who have learning disabilities. The entire thought behind building such apps shows interest and thoughtfulness on the part of the developers.

And thanks to you, we’ve got to know a bit more about useful apps like these which help make people’s lives better. 🙂

Cheerio!

Venice.

VeniceRowe
    August 30, 2011 at 7:06 am

Cheerio!

Venice.

August 30, 2011 at 11:03 am

Thanks Vish…will check out yours…

August 30, 2011 at 11:03 am

Thanks Vish…will check out yours…

August 30, 2011 at 11:03 am

Thanks Venice! It is great isn’t it that there are helpful apps out there and not just fun ones! 🙂

August 30, 2011 at 11:03 am