Life

Car-watching

This morning instead of being my usual disgruntled self on the way to work, I tried something different. Observing people in their cars from my own while waiting at a set of lights.

…the lady applying make-up while stopped at the lights. Eye-liner, mascara, lipstick, and other make-up equipment I have no clue about.

…the guy eating his toast and enjoying it.

…the guy tying his tie and getting frustrated.

…the lady talking nineteen to a dozen to her partner who continues to stare straight ahead at the stagnant traffic.
…the mother apparently lecturing her teenage daughter who is busy flicking through her phone.
…the man excitedly turning up the volume of his music and shaking his head to the beats.
…the man yawning at the rate of about a yawn every couple of seconds. And making me yawn too.
…the bus driver giving the students a friendly smile as they hop on the bus. And not all of them noticing to actually return it.
…the guy talking on his mobile phone and sounding quite busy before 8 in the morning.
…the lady apparently humming along to music and smiling. And in turn, making me smile too.
So many sights. So many sounds. All on a morning on the way to work. I need to pay more attention…not just to the traffic on the road but the variety life has to offer in the form of people, nature, and beauty.
I might try this more often. Try and be present.
So what things do you notice about people on your way to work or university?

Guria
    August 4, 2011 at 5:31 am

This is was interesting. All I do on my way to school/university is look at the cars, literally… next time, i’ll try looking at who’s inside! I need to pay attention too albeit a different kind. πŸ™‚

Guria
    August 4, 2011 at 5:31 am

August 4, 2011 at 8:03 am

Ah Guria…that’s usually what I do too but did something different today. And it’s fun to see all the weird things people do in their cars not realising others may see them… πŸ™‚

August 4, 2011 at 8:03 am

Bikram
    August 4, 2011 at 8:56 am

πŸ™‚ good observations ..Β  how about people talking on phone while driving, or even Txting ..

But yeah its fun to watch people …

Bikram
    August 4, 2011 at 8:56 am

But yeah its fun to watch people …

Prateek Gupta
    August 4, 2011 at 10:42 am

I do that all the time.. Checking out people around me in traffic.

Prateek Gupta
    August 4, 2011 at 10:42 am

I do that all the time.. Checking out people around me in traffic.

August 4, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Interesting πŸ˜€ I do this once in a while too, in the train on my way to work…but most of the times, I am just reading πŸ™‚

August 4, 2011 at 2:14 pm

August 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm

Oh yeah…lots doing that. And the ones talking on the phone, well I see them even while driving! Can’t miss those…

August 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm

August 4, 2011 at 10:03 pm

It is interesting, isn’t it? I do it when I am on public transport…

August 4, 2011 at 10:03 pm

It is interesting, isn’t it? I do it when I am on public transport…

August 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Yeah it’s definitely interesting on trains and buses but like you I read more often than not…

August 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Jake
    August 5, 2011 at 8:14 am

sounds a lot like video for Everybody hurts πŸ™‚ .. I have a similar experience
    when I walk to work everyday. The difference is, I pass the same people on my day to work everyday, same time at around the same turns and traffic crosses.Β
    Its funny I dont know anything about any of them and yet I feel like I know them.

Jake
    August 5, 2011 at 8:14 am

sounds a lot like video for Everybody hurts πŸ™‚ .. I have a similar experience

Priyanka Victor
    August 5, 2011 at 9:49 am

I see girls all around in pretty clothes, all made up with trendy bags and shoes talking nineteen to the dozen about either boys or class tests πŸ˜€

Priyanka Victor
    August 5, 2011 at 9:49 am

August 5, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Hmm…haven’t seen the video of Everybody hurts…and totally know what you mean by you feel like you know the people you encounter on your way to work…I used to have that feeling the first year of work when I didn’t have a license and had to catch public transport to work…

August 5, 2011 at 9:42 pm

August 5, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Lol…I’m guessing this is at the hostel?

August 5, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Lol…I’m guessing this is at the hostel?

Sambit S
    August 5, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Interesting! I do like to observe people myself when I’m walking! It is interesting to see what they all do!!Β

Sambit S
    August 5, 2011 at 10:59 pm

August 6, 2011 at 12:59 am

Yep…people watching is one of the most interesting things!! πŸ™‚ Welcome to this space Sambit!

August 6, 2011 at 12:59 am