Humour

Cop-o-phobia

I noticed something really strange with me and thought I’d share it to see if others go through something similar.

Whenever I see a police car, my anxiety increases two-fold and my heart starts beating very quickly. As if I’m doing something wrong. Fact is, I am not. But it doesn’t matter. I still feel anxious until they go away. Since I started driving, I have been pulled over for random-breath tests about 5 times. And every single time I have been bloody nervous.

Even though I know I have not had any alcohol!

Being a P-plater, I am supposed to have zero blood alcohol. So I never drink and drive. But even so, I worry when pulled over. As if scared that the breathalyser will pick up some alcohol I might have had a day or two ago. Or sometimes, a week ago. Last week, on Monday after work, I was pulled over for this. And the last drink I’d had was on the Friday night. Yet, there was the anxiety. Increased heart rate and all.

Only relaxing once I was given the green light to go.

This morning, there was a police car on the opposite side of the road while I was waiting at a set of traffic lights. They were trying to help out a situation where a semi-trailer had broken down. And just seeing the cops standing next to my car whilst talking to the roads authority was enough to increase my anxiety.

And I find myself wondering — why is that?

It’s not like I’ve ever committed a crime. [Ok, so I did steal gum when I was 7 but I confessed and got duly punished!!] So why should I feel anxious?

Is it just a cop thing?

Or is it just me being weird?

Does this ever happen to you? Do share. And tell me it does!

RED HANDED
    September 19, 2011 at 7:14 am

you stole GUM??hawwwww…how dare you 😛
    I have this same anxiety bubbling within me everytime i go to a doctor. be it for cold or regular checkup or even weight check. I just have to get anxious and my tongue gets all dry.

RED HANDED
    September 19, 2011 at 7:14 am

you stole GUM??hawwwww…how dare you 😛

RED HANDED
    September 19, 2011 at 7:16 am

Hawwww…u stole GUM?How dare you!!
    Lol..
    Evene i have this same anxiety bubbling in my sstomach every time i visit a doctor. Be it for cold or a regular check up or even weight check.I just have to get anxious. My tongue goes all dry and i cannot talk properly.

RED HANDED
    September 19, 2011 at 7:16 am

Hawwww…u stole GUM?How dare you!!
    Lol..

Prathama Raghavan
    September 19, 2011 at 7:27 am

I have the same feeling everytime I see a cop. In India, being a woman means you can’t trust the cop, I have been harassed several times by cops, when I am out late at night or a couple of times even in police stations. Obscene comments about being a slut are common place from cops in India. Being abused by them is habitual to most Indians, I think. So I know where mine comes from. If anything happens to me in India I would not trust a cop to help me.

I generalised this fear to the cops in France when I lived there. I feel nervous around them. They look severe and I feel like if they want they could accuse me of something and lock me up even if I didnt do anything. It was also a fear of being asked for my papers and questions about what I was doing in France. Everything was in order according to me but God knows what they would think!

Nice article, raises important questions about our sense of security in relation to the police.
    (sorry about the long comment)

Prathama Raghavan
    September 19, 2011 at 7:27 am

(sorry about the long comment)

bookslifenmore
    September 19, 2011 at 11:20 am

First thing first, whats a P-plater?
    And thogh not exactly like you but yes I too feel anxious when I see cops following our car or vehicle. I guess it has something to do with the stereo type we create about police. May be…

bookslifenmore
    September 19, 2011 at 11:20 am

First thing first, whats a P-plater?

Deepthi
    September 19, 2011 at 3:21 pm

He he 🙂 gum??…I used such a fear when I was small,until 4-5 years back…now I have overcome that somehow..I guess its not weird many of my friends say that they have that fear too..

Deepthi
    September 19, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Priyanka Victor
    September 19, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I think it’s something to do with the fact that they are projected to be ruthless and enforcers of law and all that…
    I get slightly nervous too:P I can’t bring myself to meet their eyes:D

Priyanka Victor
    September 19, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I get slightly nervous too:P I can’t bring myself to meet their eyes:D

Stef Pyburn
    September 19, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I remember a study in AS psychology about authority. A researcher dressed as a business man, homeless man and police officer and asked them to pick up a random piece of rubbish and more people did it because a police officer told them to do it.

Have to say the panic always sets in for me too…and I work next to a police station!

Steffikins

X

Stef Pyburn
    September 19, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Steffikins

X

September 19, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Oh yes I did but I got a whacking from my mum for doing so. Never ever stole again! 😛 Interesting re your anxiety with the doctor…it’s good to know there are others with similar fears. I don’t feel that when I see the doctor unless it’s something I have been worrying about for a while…

September 19, 2011 at 10:36 pm

September 20, 2011 at 4:34 am

Prathama, I cannot believe the police there pass such obscene comments! I don’t think I experienced anything like that in India…although I guess I never really encountered them on my own. I think that’s the fear though as you said — you could get accused for something you haven’t done. My fear is more that I think than thinking the cops will abuse me in any way. And don’t apologise for the long comments!

September 20, 2011 at 4:34 am

September 20, 2011 at 4:37 am

Sorry….P-plater is provisional license holder. It works here that after your learner’s, you get a red P-plate (provisional license 1) for a year and then a green P-plate (provisional license 2) for 18 months and only then do you get the full license. There are speed restrictions and alcohol restrictions. I’m currently a green P-plater for a couple more months. It could be related to the stereotypes as you said…that we get caught for not doing anything and then having to go through the whole rigmarole of things!

September 20, 2011 at 4:37 am

September 20, 2011 at 5:01 am

Yes…I was naughty! I don’t know why I haven’t overcome the fear Deepthi especially as I do liaise with police as part of work. Not scared of them over the phone discussing a client but quite anxious when I am just a civilian! Go figure…

September 20, 2011 at 5:01 am

September 20, 2011 at 5:43 am

Haha…you’re right PV! Must be that…and did you know, difficulty meeting people’s eyes is a sign of guilt! 😛

September 20, 2011 at 5:43 am

September 20, 2011 at 5:46 am

Welcome here Stef! Authority has that effect on us I guess…and geez…you work next to a police station! That must be exposure to authority at a massive level! 😛 It’s funny, I can work with the cops when it comes to my clients and liaising with them over the phone…but when I’m a mere civilian, I’m scared! 😛

September 20, 2011 at 5:46 am

Bikram
    September 20, 2011 at 10:25 am

now what do i say .. people look at us with the wrong eye 🙂  cops are not that badd.. Try talking ot one

Bikram’s

Bikram
    September 20, 2011 at 10:25 am

Bikram’s

Pestosauce
    September 21, 2011 at 12:00 pm

You know I too feel the same whenever I see ROP around here. They look big and can question any of your actions though they are by and large very fair

Pestosauce
    September 21, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Nilu
    September 22, 2011 at 1:50 am

Yes, I have this fear too. But I know mine is because when we were young, parents used to say if we didn’t eat, police would take us away 😉

Nilu
    September 22, 2011 at 1:50 am

September 22, 2011 at 9:26 am

I agree Pesto…the cops here too are generally fair as far as I can tell. But it’s all the stories we hear I suppose! 🙂

September 22, 2011 at 9:26 am

September 22, 2011 at 11:18 am

Lol Nilu…parents don’t realise sometimes how their threats can turn to real fears, huh? Like the ‘monster under the bed’ stuff some parents tell their kids…resulting in massive fears! 😛

September 22, 2011 at 11:18 am