Listen to the victim…

She was the new girl
At the prestigious high school
Didn’t fit in from day one
You see, she just was uncool
Wearing her skirt long
Rather than way up the knees
Her hair just one shade of blonde
Instead of colours three
She had a regular mobile phone
One without a cam or touch screen
And had no internet on it
Using it for actually speaking
To the other girls
She was nothing but a dag
And her love for reading
To them was a drag
Being unpopular in her grade
Didn’t seem a bother
She carried on with her studies
Barely hearing smirks and laughter
The popular girls then decided
Her nonchalance must end
The only way to amuse themselves
Was to give this new girl hell
They hid her books for English
And stole her homework sheet
When she went for sport
They ripped her skirt and tee
They tripped her on the stairs
And bumped hard into her
Started sending threatening texts
And rejoiced at her tears
They posted lies of her online
Photo-shopped her nude
Gave out her mobile number
Asking for calls from dudes
She started failing her tests
And missing a lot of school
Still the popular girls didn’t relent
Instead, posting her address online too
She finally decided to cave in
And went to her parents two
They took the matter to the cops
Who said there was nothing they could do
The school said its hands were tied
As the problems were online
There was nothing they could say to the girls
Who continued to make miserable her life
Finally the new girl could take no more
The calls at her home and more lewd photos
The requests for sex from random guys
The harassment had gone overboard
She felt calm upon making the decision
Despite knowing her parents’ despair
It was the only way to end this mess
And even get out of her parents’ hair
Next morning her mum went to wake her
To find her only daughter dead
Hanging with her favourite scarf
Beside a final note left unread
The popular girls later heard the news
As around went the whirlwind story
Of how a new girl took a life
Being a victim of bullying
You’d think they’d be sorry
For their role in her death
But alas! they were already on
To a new girl; a new target
For the popular girls, their lives were defined
By how many others they could abuse
This way they felt empowered
And continued to keep themselves amused

***This has been written for One Single Impression Prompt 187***

1. maddie

September 26, 2011 at 7:36 am

Wow PB! Spot on. Disturbed me while reading it but just so true. What does your psychology say about the minds of these bullies? What goes on in there? I am sure they have problems which makes them commit such heinous acts.

2. Deepthi

September 26, 2011 at 8:53 am

Dats so sad.. :(..I have heard of  some  incidents where ragging  and harrassment has lead to suicide.. :(..Of late,online abuse has increased drastically….Its so bad,don’t know if ever there would be an end to such things..

3. Indian Homemaker

September 26, 2011 at 10:46 am

OMG!!! I have seen this in milder form, very common and it does generally go unchecked. What makes some teenagers so vicious and insensitive?

4. Shail

September 26, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Sad isn’t it how what’s amusement for some become deadly for others 🙁
    Well written.

5. Pradeeta Mishra

September 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm

The fear and pain of bullying cannot be ignored. The essence of hurt, you have captured it beautifully, and sad but this is the truth, no one will take responsibility for such a heinous act…after all, who will listen to the victim?

6. adayinlifeofmom

September 26, 2011 at 3:21 pm

this reminds me about a girl who ended her life due to bullying (it was in news all over) and police arrested those bullies…

At my present place (in US) there is major awareness campaign against bullying and most school and police take action against this…

I don’t know state in India 🙁

To me, bullying is a crime of hatred and must be punishable under law..

7. Bikram

September 26, 2011 at 4:10 pm

so true what you say .. and how many times we jsut forget to do that .. I see it happen so often.. let the victim be .. spend too much time on the one who has done a crime .. a good thought

Bikram’s

8. Nisha

September 26, 2011 at 6:17 pm

Very well written.. I could picturise every verse. Sadly this online thing has gone overboard. Wonder when it will all stop!

9. Scribby

September 26, 2011 at 7:31 pm

you’ve weaved in words so aptly..and somewhere this might be happening to some one…bullying,ragging…*shudders*

if not ending in suicide but like losing self confidence, break downs , getting affected psychologically..so many repercussions..but alas only if the girls like you mentioned above could realize this,sigh! big bad world out there!

10. Priyanka Victor

September 26, 2011 at 8:07 pm

That. Was. Epic.
    Bullying is a crime that isn’t much known. But the effects are, as you write, far-reaching (to put it mildly).

11. Psych Babbler

September 27, 2011 at 4:39 am

I have depicted an extreme case Maddie but bullying is getting out of control thanks to social media and the anonymity it provides. Honestly, while in psychology there were theories about bullies having low self esteem and needing to feel better about themselves by bullying others, there is now more recently the callous and cold-hearted narcissists who think they are better than everyone else and therefore think they are entitled to bully others…

12. Psych Babbler

September 27, 2011 at 4:59 am

It is Deepthi…here too some young people end up committing suicide after being harrassed online. Once upon a time bullying was mainly at school but then home was a safe haven…now with technology and cyber bullying, it has gone to extremes. Sadly, things won’t change I think unless the law changes with the times and perpetrators of bullying are given consequences. It’s one of the things I find hardest to work with and I mainly see the victims as they tend to be depressed or anxious.

13. Psych Babbler

September 27, 2011 at 5:12 am

It’s on the rise nowadays IHM. Once upon a time, we’d get bullied but it just stayed at school and that was it. A person could go home and feel safe. But with the advances in technology, the cyber bullying gets a lot worse. I have seen the victims of this kind of bullying where there have been lewd photos posted or their phone numbers on there asking to call and stuff like that. Teenagers are generally egocentric but I think the perpetrators of such bullying are bordering on narcissism where they lack empathy towards others. Unfortunately, if laws and school policies don’t change to keep up with this, perpetrators are going to get away with it for a long time!

14. Psych Babbler

September 27, 2011 at 5:41 am

It is Shail…for these individuals, there must be something missing in their brains to not feel empathy. Thanks!

15. Prathama Raghavan

September 27, 2011 at 5:58 am

So well written, it makes the message so powerful. It is nasty the heights bullying/ragging can take.
    Even little differences are exaggerated and people belittled for their characteristics, like a boyish girl or an effeminate boy, or for that matter children with speech difficulties or other learning disabilities.
    As a society our tolerance for differences is actually reducing, I wonder sometimes.

16. Psych Babbler

September 27, 2011 at 6:43 am

Welcome here Pradeeta! Thanks for the lovely comment about the writing. But yes, it is an existing evil and unfortunately, not many listen to the victim until they have taken a drastic step.

17. Psych Babbler

September 27, 2011 at 6:55 am

Here too there was recently a teenager who ended her life following bullying. And she wasn’t the first sadly. Unfortunately, while there are awareness campaigns about bullying here, I don’t find much changing. Having worked in the school system and continuing to work with victims of bullying, there doesn’t seem to be any solution unless and until the laws and policies change making bullies liable and giving them serious consequences. Unfortunately, all they get is possible suspensions from school (which they don’t care about) or a rap on the wrist. When it comes to cyber bullying, there has got to be a legal consequence! Only then will people learn.

18. Scribby

September 27, 2011 at 9:04 am

where is my comment? 🙁 I comment yesterday !

19. Psych Babbler

September 27, 2011 at 10:21 am

Well Bikram, I see the victims most of the time…and I feel helpless because not manyothers listen to what they have to say. And unfortunately, the bullies keep getting away with it…very frustrating

20. Psych Babbler

September 27, 2011 at 10:35 am

Thanks Nisha! I am afraid that it will only get worse unless something is done about it legally…in terms of legal consequences I mean. It really has gotten out of control and we can’t really say young people shouldn’t use social media because frankly, that’s not something that can be monitered. Hence, if there is cyber bullying, it should be taken to the police and there should be laws giving the bullies serious consequences.

21. Psych Babbler

September 27, 2011 at 10:38 am

Yep Scribby…this is a drastic ending and isn’t always the case but yeah, there are several mental health consequences. And unfortunately, I see these victims when they present with depression, anxiety, or eating disorders. It’s sad but scarily true…

22. Psych Babbler

September 27, 2011 at 10:40 am

Thanks PV! Here it’s talked about but not much is done in the end. Unless and until the law changes and policies change along with that, not much will change. And the victims will only be heard by mental health professionals or when it’s too late…

23. Psych Babbler

September 27, 2011 at 10:43 am

Thanks Prathama! I agree…bullies will pick on the smallest of things…anything that is even slightly different is a problem and a target. It’s a good point you make in the end…we are probably becoming less tolerant for differences.

24. Psych Babbler

September 27, 2011 at 10:43 am

Your comment is there Scribby…just took me time to reply to all comments… 🙂

25. nidsitis

September 27, 2011 at 11:04 am

I think the problem lies in the importance given to being ‘cool’ you know. How those ‘cool’ ones feel so empowered and powerful.. Often I feel that the power makes them do as they please.
    You put the point across so beautifully. My heart really is heavy now. 🙂

26. The Cello Strings

September 27, 2011 at 3:50 pm

deep and thought provoking one.

27. Psych Babbler

September 27, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Definitely! Of course, the defintion of cool is different in different environments but in the end, the ones who believe they are cool are more likely to feel better than others. Hmm…heavy heart…I guess I did my job with this! 🙂

28. Psych Babbler

September 27, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Welcome here The Cello Strings! Thanks…I hope the message gets across to everyone…victims, perpetrators and most importantly, bystanders who need to listen and act!

29. Poornima Josyula

September 28, 2011 at 1:02 pm

This was a wonderful thought. I was touched reading this. I can quite understand the victim’s feelings. But I personally feel that the parents also responsible for this kind of behavior from the children. These days with both the parents working at least 18 hrs/day and 6 days a week, they barely have time for their children. And in order, to “make-up” for the lost time & attention, the parents pamper their kids with luxuries and other things (like iphone and what not!!!). This in turn is misused by the kids (haughtiness, coolness, arrogance and feeling of superiority).
    I think the children should be taught on how to behave and interact with their peers. Parents should invest time in the personal development of the kids.

30. Marinela Reka

September 28, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Sad but this is the truth!!

31. Psych Babbler

September 28, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Welcome here Marinela! As you said, it is the truth. Not every victim may end up taking their life but some definitely do. And something needs to be done about it…

32. Psych Babbler

September 28, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I agree about parental responsibility Poornima! When I was working in a school I found that the bullies’ parents would constantly make excuses for their kids and how angelic they were. They wouldn’t back the school in terms of detentions and consequences and the bullies kept getting away with things. It frustrated me no end! I think things have reached a stage where parents worry about their kids’ self esteem so much, they don’t give them consequences for anything resulting in highly narcissistic kids with no empathy for others!

33. Kanupriya

September 29, 2011 at 8:00 am

OMG, shocking & speechless! Very sad poem but narrated beautifully.

34. Psych Babbler

September 29, 2011 at 9:05 am

Thanks Kanupriya! Yeah…it is shocking and sad but it does happen…which is a shame but I wrote it trying to make the biggest impact.

35. Scribby

October 2, 2011 at 3:41 pm

no when I came back to check I couldn’t find my comment leave alone the reply 🙂 but now I can both 🙂

36. Psych Babbler

October 2, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I was trying to reply to the comments at work and didn’t get a chance to do all…hence, the lack of your comment at the point! 🙂

Comments are closed.