Soapbox Issues

Curtsying the queen

I am not a fan of the royal family. I honestly think we should become a republic. I don’t understand people’s fascination with the royals in this day and age. And therefore, in the same vein, I couldn’t understand all the hoopla around the queen’s visit to Australia earlier in the week.

But it didn’t end there. The media and other monarchists had a field day when Julia Gillard chose to not curtsy the queen but rather just bow and shake her hand. What’s the big deal? There are people calling Ms Gillard disrespectful and arrogant and ruining the name of the country. There are people saying even children were better as they curtsied the queen. There are people vilifying Ms Gillard for her choice to not curtsy.

I don’t understand it. And here Julia Gillard has been trying to defend herself.

I don’t think she needs to defend her actions.

What makes the queen so special? Just because her ancestors were royals back in the day when they did have kings and queens? Shouldn’t a handshake suffice? That’s polite when you meet people in general.

I wouldn’t like to be a Brit where my hard-earned taxes were going to the bloody royals. And I think it’s about time we got rid of them. We do not need a king or queen in this day and age.

And we certainly do not need people vilifying the Prime Minister for not curtsying someone. So good on you Julia Gillard! I wouldn’t curtsy either.

Would you curtsy the queen? Or anyone from the royals?

What’s your view on the monarchs?

Priyanka Victor
    October 23, 2011 at 9:23 am

I would curtsy if I thought the person behind the title was worth the respect. Not just because they are monarchs.

Priyanka Victor
    October 23, 2011 at 9:23 am

Jake
    October 23, 2011 at 10:26 am

🙂 …. I read about this on Friday and was so pissed off I had to listen to all of the Lamp of god records on my Ipod to restrain myself from putting my fist through a wall. And when I was still mad, I figured you will probably write about this so might as well save up some of the anger to rant about it here 🙂 …

First off, this is EXACTLY what I was talking about when the royal wedding was occurring. People think they are just embracing their tradition and culture when actually all they are doing is giving special treatment to a group of people. And what on earth is Julia Gillard supposed to do ? I saw the clip , she smiled and shook her hand, I don’t know what the “official” protocol is, but that seemed courteous enough.
    If people have a problem with that in the 21st century then maybe we should go back the days when you have to kiss the monarch’s feet. I sometimes envy the situation they have in France, they don’t have to deal with a monarchy thanks to the French Revolution.

Jake
    October 23, 2011 at 10:26 am

Vishnu
    October 24, 2011 at 1:08 am

PB maybe this was your intent but I think this post is definitely going to get you blacklisted from any Buckingham Palace afternoon tea events.

Vishnu
    October 24, 2011 at 1:08 am

October 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I am totally with you on this, PB. Couldn’t agree more!

I don’t understand why people go nuts over the royal family. The royal wedding had me whining every single day about all every.single tv channel, newspaper, internet sites covering only that for such a long time. And now this drama. Sigh.

October 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I am totally with you on this, PB. Couldn’t agree more!

Sid
    October 25, 2011 at 7:40 am

I live in the UK and I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone here curtsey the queen, except in a ceremonial situation. I understand why Britain is still obsessed with the Royals – they represent history and bring in tourism by the shedload. They are irrelevant to Australia, though, and I also think Australia should be a republic.

Sid
    October 25, 2011 at 7:40 am

Jake
    October 25, 2011 at 11:18 am

Oh no …what a loss, she does not get to have tea with losers who sit around doing nothing but eat tax payers money.

Jake
    October 25, 2011 at 11:18 am

November 1, 2011 at 9:04 am

I guess that’s a sensible enough reason PV…it’s basically your choice at the end of the day and not something mandatory! 🙂

November 1, 2011 at 9:04 am

November 1, 2011 at 9:09 am

Lol…you thought I would write something about it?! It’s funny because I wondered what you were thinking about it! 😛 Apparently they reckon the ‘official’ protocol is curtsying but there are others who say a bow is also okay and apparently Julia Gillard made a teeny bow and shook hands. At the end of the day, personally, she was polite and that’s all that matters. It’s ridiculous that in this day and age people still want to have monarchs! And I feel sorry for hard working Brits whose taxes go to support the castle!

November 1, 2011 at 9:09 am

November 1, 2011 at 9:10 am

Oh damn Vishnu….what have I done?! 😛 Opportunity of a lifetime wasted…

November 1, 2011 at 9:10 am

Oh damn Vishnu….what have I done?! 😛 Opportunity of a lifetime wasted…

November 1, 2011 at 9:14 am

Oh T…I’m with you on the royal wedding…I could not understand all the hoopla around it!!! It’s so strange that in this day and age people still want to have kings and queens! It is beyond me…especially given that they don’t really have a role to play given we have presidents and prime ministers…

November 1, 2011 at 9:14 am

November 1, 2011 at 9:15 am

Ah, someone with some insight into why Brits are still obsessed with the royals! I just couldn’t figure that out Sid. Interesting about what you mentioned that no one seems to really curtsy…but apparently if you are Julia Gillard, well, everyone will find fault! 😐

November 1, 2011 at 9:15 am

Jake
    November 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm

🙂 … yeah well like I said , I was pissed as hell about it. I just wanna add something to what Sid has written here, I completely understand why people value culture and tradition, what I specifically have a problem with is the special treatment the royal family gets, everything down to the queen’s air tickets are paid for by the tax payer. It seems really unfair that people can just paid for doing nothing. Although things are slowly changing, William is serving as a rescue pilot, so at least he contributes to society, but they still get all the free amenities like expensive accommodation and other luxuries.

Jake
    November 1, 2011 at 1:35 pm

November 2, 2011 at 12:11 am

I agree with you Jake…if my hard earned money was going to people living in a palace, I’d be furious too. I think I wouldn’t mind them so much if they worked and contributed to society rather than just waved to people and gave speeches…

November 2, 2011 at 12:11 am