Soapbox Issues

Political Correctness Madness

In this day and age, why would anyone want to become a teacher???

After all, teachers have no rights whatsoever over the students. Students rule the roost. Students don’t respect teachers. Teachers have to cop verbal abuse from students. They are not allowed to comfort a child who is hurt. They are not allowed to intervene when kids are bashing each other up in the school ground and instead of stopping the bully, have to pull the victim away. And now, teachers also have ‘read’ legal rights to the students before speaking to them.

If you read the story I have linked above, the gist is, a 14 year old boy got acquitted in court for stabbing a servo attendant because he confessed to his teacher who made a statement to the police and according to the court, the teacher should have informed the boy about legal consequences prior to the boy confessing. In other words, I suppose the court wanted the teacher to say “Anything you say or do can be use against you in a court of law”.

Is the judge for real???

It’s a fucking joke. That’s not remotely funny.

As a psychologist, we are mandated to inform clients at the very beginning that anything they tell us will be confidential unless there is a risk of harm to them or others. But teachers do not have anything like that. They are not psychologists. They do not have confidentiality clauses. So why does a teacher have to explain such a thing to a student? It’s not in their role.

And what next? If someone in the community gets told by another individual about a crime, are they supposed to read them their legal rights as well? I thought that was only something the cops had to do.

This court case has set a precedent. One where teachers are probably not going to report crimes of students. Or one where no one wants to report a crime they have heard. Or one where the child or adolescent knows they can get away. Yet again.

On the plus side, there has been an appeal made to the DPP to review this. And the state government thinks it is an appalling decision as well.

I work with kids and adolescents. But I think we have gone too far the other way in terms of their rights. To the point where the adults involved i.e. parents, teachers, police have fewer rights than the kids. And trouble is, the kids know that.

Things don’t have to be black and white. The answer to curbing child abuse is not complete permissiveness and lack of discipline or power. There has got to be a middle ground. Right now, we have helpless parents, helpless teachers, helpless police and yes, sometimes, helpless therapists.

It’s a bloody nightmare!

I think things are getting worse instead of better. And personally, I wouldn’t want to be a teacher today. Or a cop for that matter. Or even sometimes, a parent.

Politicians — are you listening? Do something about it!

Jake
    October 7, 2011 at 9:14 am

Its a shame that decisions made by politicians to get more votes ends up a disaster not just for parents and teachers but also students, the way I see it everyone loses here including the student/child because he/she is growing up getting completely false ideas about how the world works and with no sense of responsibility and THAT is whats more scary, that the next generation is getting poor guidance.

I don’t necessarily know  if there is a better way of solving the issue, its odd .. we live in a grey universe and yet human beings are sometimes black and white about things.

Jake
    October 7, 2011 at 9:14 am

Bikram
    October 7, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I hate the so called politcial correctness and the so called do Gooders ..

and in my line of work i have ot make sure I am political correct .. which is such a pain and a shame tooo

Bikram’s

Bikram
    October 7, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I hate the so called politcial correctness and the so called do Gooders ..

Bikram’s

Priyanka Victor
    October 8, 2011 at 10:52 am

“Spare the rod and spoil the child” – rings true even today. But the problem is that the rod gets the parent into trouble. Agreed that there need to be measures to prevent child abuse which is a very real concern but that doesn’t mean that parents don’t have basic rights over their children, that teachers don’t have the right to discipline them.
    If this goes on, the next generation is going to be full of utterly spoilt brats with no sense of right or wrong and skewed perceptions of the world.

Priyanka Victor
    October 8, 2011 at 10:52 am

Teena in Toronto
    October 8, 2011 at 12:44 pm

When I was in high school, I wanted to be a teacher but changed my mine when I got to university. These days I’m  trainer.

Happy blogoversary 🙂

Teena in Toronto
    October 8, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Happy blogoversary 🙂

October 9, 2011 at 12:32 am

I don’t know when things got this bad Jake…it’s literally gone to another extreme. And you’re right…kids nowadays grow up with no sense of responsibility for their own actions. IT’s all about how you can get away with things. While I don’t condone beating, sometimes, I wonder whether it would be more effective. There is no respect, no fear. I’m not sure what the answer is….but it’s definitely not what is going on now. It’s just not working.

October 9, 2011 at 12:32 am

October 9, 2011 at 12:35 am

Tell me about it Bikram…I don’t envy you one bit for the job you have to do! You must see these kids get away with things and it must irk you no end. Here cops have to apparently warn kids a couple of time prior to arrest if they are caught with drugs or alcohol and the like…which is ridiculous! It doesn’t teach the kids anything…especially if there’s no immediate consequence for their actions. It’s scary to think that this is going to be the next generation governing countries…things are only going to get worse.

October 9, 2011 at 12:35 am

October 9, 2011 at 12:40 am

It’s a difficult situation PV…while I don’t condone beating kids, I wish something was there that would instill fear in them. The pendulum has swung too far the other way where kids know they have more rights than the adults (i.e their parents and teachers) And yes, the scary thing is this is the generation that is going to be involved in making laws and governing the country in the future…with absolutely no sense of right or wrong!

October 9, 2011 at 12:40 am

October 9, 2011 at 12:41 am

Welcome here Teena! I am not surprised you changed your mind…for me, being a teacher was my Plan B if psychology didn’t work out. Am I glad psych worked out! Thanks for the blogoversary wishes! Do keep visiting! 🙂

October 9, 2011 at 12:41 am

nidsitis
    October 9, 2011 at 6:59 pm

We work in extremes no. thats what bothers me. Hold them by the tighest leash or let them run loose.
    The area in between where they learn to be responsible adults is a lost cause. :

I am terrified to ever have children. Imagine the world they will live in. Imagine what kind of a parent I’l be. Will I mould my child well or curb his freedom. Oh the worries!!

Well written and very thought provoking.

nidsitis
    October 9, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Well written and very thought provoking.

October 10, 2011 at 12:05 am

I am with you Nids in how scary it is to bring a child into this world today. I have exactly the same fears if not more given the kinds of kids I see through work.

October 10, 2011 at 12:05 am