Feminism Fodder

Sixteen too old in the modelling industry

…so says a modelling agency in Sydney.

This modelling agency believes 13 is the right age to start the career as in Europe models are of that age. 13. What I find weird is that the executive of this agency started modelling at 13 and then ended up battling an eating disorder around 18. And yet, she is promoting the same. [She still looks like she has an eating disorder, by the way]

You would think that someone who was asked to lose weight and ended up starving themselves to look like a pre-pubescent child would have more insight into this horrible industry than trying to promote other young children and adolescents to enter it instead!

First and foremost, I never seem to understand what is so attractive about young women looking like pre-pubescent boys. No boobs. No butt. No flesh. How in the world do clothes like that sell when most women in fact have boobs and butts and thighs? Secondly, I am stunned that parents would let their 13 to 16 year olds get into an industry that promotes a negative body image. I have no issues with children modelling for children’s products but there is something seriously wrong when you have a 13 year old who is overly sexualised and promoting something a skeletal woman should wear.

This girl is 14

It is bad enough that young girls are fed sexualised messages every day thanks to the wondeful media. But it’s worse when they see younger and younger girls in that and then have others want to be like them. And it’s scary to think that an industry where so many women (and now men) battle an eating disorder, they still promote it in every way they can.

At the end of the day, most women don’t look like skeletons. Most women won’t can’t wear the clothes modelled by these pre-pubescent looking models. And most men don’t find women like this attractive.

The modelling and fashion industry has a lot to answer for. In a day and age when Australia and other countries are trying to promote healthy body image in the industry, agencies like these are a slap in the face.

What do you think?

Do you reckon 13 is too young to be a model? [Not for kids’ clothing]

Makk Disct
    November 20, 2011 at 5:11 am

why don’t they pickup kids from African countries, they wont have to work on their bodies…you see

Anyway its about having an image and then selling it. Humans are one of most dumb creature it seems at times.

Makk Disct
    November 20, 2011 at 5:11 am

Jake
    November 20, 2011 at 3:33 pm

What I have NEVER understood is who the fashion industry makes clothes for .. cuz like you said I have NEVER EVER seen anyone who can fit into the clothes they make  …literally NEVER… ok maybe once in a while when you walking down the road you might happen to notice a 6 ft tall woman with a 12 inch waist.

I know my opinion does not count much , after all there are 7 billion people on the face of the planet and how many could i have seen ? and maybe there are men out there who find super models attractive , but I personally have never met any. I used to think it has something to do with my Indian phyche (preferring women with a few curves) but all brits and americans in my circle of friends also feel the same way, including the lesbians.

So I ask again
    -> where are the women who buy clothes made for the super models ?
    -> who the HELL do these “artists” make clothes for ?
    -> why on earth are people not PISSED off at a remark like this, people bitch and moan about womens rights, well as long as we live in a society that is willing to accept shit like this, we are light years away from an equal society

Jake
    November 20, 2011 at 3:33 pm

So I ask again
    -> where are the women who buy clothes made for the super models ?
    -> who the HELL do these “artists” make clothes for ?

Lee-Anne Ganzer
    November 21, 2011 at 6:32 am

I think you have totally hit the nail on the head!  No grown adult woman looks like a pre-pubescent boy/skeleton, unless she is seriously suffering from a eating disorder.  Lets hope this entrenched tendency towards itsy bitsy young young girls modelling as grown women ends.  What messages do we want to send our thirteen year old daughters anyway?  That you have to try your hardest to remain looking like you are pre-pubescent… or that it is okay and natural to grow up and gain boobs and butt?

Lee-Anne Ganzer
    November 21, 2011 at 6:32 am

Raindrops
    November 21, 2011 at 6:56 am

I emphatically agree with you on this, Psych Babbler. I think it is outrageous to project tweens and young teens in an overtly sexual manner. They are kids for god’s sake! And I seriously don’t understand this obsession with anorexic bodies. Who looks like that in the real world? I understand that 13 year olds need parental permission to enter the modeling world. Why would any parent want their child to be projected in such an unhealthy manner, go  through issues of negative body image, too much focus on weight and the resultant eating and psychological disorders? Beyond me.

Raindrops
    November 21, 2011 at 6:56 am

Spaceman Spiff
    November 21, 2011 at 12:09 pm

*shudder* Modelling at 13?? Shouldn’t they be delaing with their first period at that age rather than their first modelling assignment?? Teenage is a very dangerous period. And to be in such a volatile profession at such a young age is just sad. These girls will grow up just way too fast. And most of them go for hormone injections and stuff to get bigger and better assets, only to end up with some major health problems in the longer run..

Now I’m glad that I’ve put on some weight and don’t have any eating disorder. The only disorder I may have is a bit too much of eating. :/

Spaceman Spiff
    November 21, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Aathira
    November 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm

It is crazy how 13 year or 14 year olds are totally enthralled by this fashion industry which just introduces them to eating disorders, drugs and sex. I think its so sad to see them lose their childhood like this.

I can not imagine that there are women who are ok to buy from designers who agree to a 13-14 year old walking the ramp for them. Unless their customers revolt, the designers I wonder will ever change.

Aathira
    November 21, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Towards Harmony
    November 22, 2011 at 11:07 am

If modelling starts at 13yrs then older models are going to want to look younger and younger and be doing ghastly things to their bodies to achieve that. There can be no good in this. So many people are trying to work against this but the industry does seem to be getting its reinforcement anyway!

This has to stop and everyone must contribute.

Towards Harmony
    November 22, 2011 at 11:07 am

This has to stop and everyone must contribute.

Janine
    November 24, 2011 at 12:00 pm

13 is definitely too young – at 13 you are still so impressionable, your body is developing as is your mind and your persona.  We need more actual woman models!

Janine