Books

Why J. K. Rowling couldn’t kill Ron Weasley…

Did anyone else read the news that J. K. Rowling at one stage contemplated killing off Ron Weasley?

Don’t believe me? Read this. But you know what? I don’t think the series would have survived without Ron. Yes, yes, I know he isn’t the central character. But not only is he my favouritest (yes, it’s a word. It’s my blog. I can make them up) character, he is one of the most loveable ones. Funnily enough, I prefer him, Hermione and Ginny and Fred and George and Sirius and Lupin over Harry. [Shock, horror!]  But besides the fact that Rowling would have had one very angry fan, here are some other reasons why she couldn’t possibly have killed off Ron…

• Who would be the awkward, socially inappropriate person?
  • Who would Hermione be angry with for going out with Lavender? For that matter, who would Hermione make jealous by going to the Yule Ball with Viktor Krum?
  • We wouldn’t get half the sarcastic humour that is present in the books…
  • Who would crack jokes with Harry about Trelawney?
  • We wouldn’t have the nervous new goalie…
  • We wouldn’t have had the chant of ‘Weasley is our King’…
  • We wouldn’t get classic lines like “If we die for them, I’ll kill you Harry” [in Book 7 when Harry decides to help Malfoy…]. C’mon…humour in a very tense moment!
  • Who would be afraid of spiders?
  • We wouldn’t have the fights between him and Hermione or him and Harry…and let’s face it, Harry and Hermione didn’t fight all that much.
  • Who would Fred and George tease?
  • Or who would Ginny tease in the family?
  • Who would be the cool red-head?
  • And finally, who would be Harry’s best friend and sidekick?

There is no way she could have killed off Ron. He is a loveable characters with an amazing sense of humour. If anything, Harry dying in the end would have been better than Ron being killed off!

So what do you reckon? Could she have honestly killed off Ron in the middle of the series and had a successful completion?

I for one cannot see how the story would have gone on.

But then, I am biased!

Pranab
    November 4, 2011 at 5:27 am

Nope… totally don’t see how that would have worked out! Since times immemorial, every hero needs a goofy side kick. Ronald Weasley was the perfect foil for Harry!

VeniceRowe
    November 4, 2011 at 5:35 am

I read! I read! I read! Ron is my favouritest too!! (I too love adding the ‘est’ to some words)… I love him much much much more than Harry, frankly, Harry bored me sometimes.. Ron was more human, as in he had the normal emotions of jealousy, anger, insecurity, phobia and loyalty. Without him, those core human qualities would have been missed.

Plus he’s a bit goofy (when it comes to Hermione) and he is oh-so-adorable.. and I can just go on an on about him 😀

Thank gawd Rowling didn’t kill him off, or else she would have seen me shooting arrows in her direction!

Towards Harmony
    November 4, 2011 at 5:40 am

My favourites were Sirius and Lupin.. she killed Sirius too early and too brutally..  so my enthusiasm with the books sorta died down there..
    To answer your question… Potter could not have made it to the end without Ron that for sure! 🙂

Comfy
    November 4, 2011 at 5:59 am

Killing Ron in the middle would not have worked for sure. Ron was too important for all the reasons you have listed and more in my mind. But him being killed at the end might have worked. In fact I have to be honest and say that as much as I enjoyed all the books the last one is my least fav. because of how the main three came out unharmed. And the last few pages of them sending their kids off to school was just too much for me.
    Just my thoughts.

Prats
    November 4, 2011 at 6:27 am

I think she could have but not before the last part of the story, could have added more rage in Harry and made the last fight more intense

Raindrop
    November 4, 2011 at 6:40 am

I was very angry, upset and depressed when Dumbeldore, Sirius and Lupin died in the series. If Rowling had killed off Ron in the middle of the series, I wouldn’t have read the rest of the books!

Spaceman Spiff
    November 4, 2011 at 7:59 am

I completely agree with you. Even I’d heard, sometime before the 6th book released, that Ron might get bumped off in the book. I was planning to send a hate-mail to Rowling if she ever did that. He is my favouritest (:P) character too. And like you, I always preferred the other characters over Harry. The magic was in the story, not in the main character for me. It became so popular because of the other characters.

And isn’t the romance between Hermoine and Ron oh-so-cute?! 🙂

Jake
    November 4, 2011 at 9:54 am

This is really WEIRD , I was just thinking of something very similar. I’m not goona go into depths but lets just say lately I have been dealing with a lot of anger over the fact that no matter what part of the world I am in people still see me the same way,
    just can’t seem to shed the classic steryotypical image I am usually given. After having moaned about it for almost all my life, today I finally made peace with it today, you can’t change the way people perceive you, its just the way it is.

How does that relate to what you have written, well I think my anger has
    always been subjected to the measure of importance people were willing to bestow me with, you know like how harry is the main character in the book and Ron is
    more of the side kick, like how Sherlock Holmes is the main character and Watson is the side kick. I realised that in real life there is no such thing, it all comes down to what human beings perceive things, its completely subjective, there are so many colors around and there might certain colors that are more pleasing to the eye but that does not make them any more important than the others, what a boring world it would be without those other ones that we still need to paint the complete picture.

Richa
    November 4, 2011 at 11:51 am

With Ron dead Harry Potter series would be a complete disaster. Remember the time Hermione and Ron were fighting (Book 6) and Harry and Hermione were hanging around: THEY SPENT ALL THEIR TIME IN THE LIBRARY!!

I love Hermione. She is the character in the book I most identify with (The need to answer the questions in the class: that’s me). But she is pretty dull without Ron around her. They kind of balance each other out. The whole dynamics of the series would have been skewed.

And of course, he is the connection of Harry to the Weasley family. Where will Harry spend his summers without him? He will have no other place in the world to go! He will be stuck with Dursleys! Even though we don’t realie it while reading the books, Ron is one of the central character in the series. He is the connection for Harry to so many other things in the Wizarding world. Hermione, being from muggle background, couldn’t fill that hole. She didn’t know what Mudblood meant when Draco called her that. Neither did Harry. Only Ron reacted. Who would know about the tales of Beedle the Bard? Ron makes the Wizarding world more real for the readers. For him that is normal and we tend to accept it more when he reacts the way he does..

Funnily enough, when I start reading the post, the first thing that popped up in my mind were the lines: “If we die for them, I will kill you Harry.” My brain was screaming who else would say that!

November 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm

i should get to reading the books soon 😛

November 4, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I concur Pranab! It would never have worked…characters like Ron tend to hold up the book! 🙂

November 4, 2011 at 8:52 pm

I so agree with you Venice! Harry was obnoxious at times for me…and yes, Ron was more real…someone you would love to be mates with and hang around with…someone we could definitely relate to! And yes, if she had killed him, she would have received more than just arrows from me!!! 😛

November 4, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Oh Prathama…I was so not happy with Sirius and Lupin’s death! I cried heaps at Sirius’ death…more than Dumbledore’s.

November 5, 2011 at 2:24 am

Y’know Comfy, I would have been okay with Harry dying in the end…I agree it was a bit weird how around the 3 everyone was dying but they survived. Oh and don’t even remind me of the 19 years later bit! I thought that was the corniest ending…sad after such a brilliant series. I do think though she may have done that to make sure no one else writes a follow up on it…

November 5, 2011 at 4:42 am

Like I said, I’m biased Prats so even in the end for me would have been devastating! 😛 But I think Harry dying in the end would have been interesting!

November 5, 2011 at 4:56 am

I was angry when Sirius died and Lupin too Raindrop…somehow, Dumbledore didn’t affect me too much…don’t know why…like you I probably wouldn’t have read the rest if Ron had died…or at least wouldn’t have read with the same enthusiasm!

November 5, 2011 at 7:13 am

Agree, agree, agree Spaceman Spiff! I hadn’t heard it prior to the 6th book…would have definitely sent some hate mail had she bumped him off!! And yes, the romance between Ron anad Hermione is very cute…so awkward and so adorable! 🙂

Deepthi
    November 5, 2011 at 10:02 am

‘Harry Potter’ wouldn’t  have been the same if JKR would have killed Ron..never..The story would become so dull and boring…In the seventh book when Ron leaves Harry  and Hermione,I felt that it was the most boring part of the story,could’t stand the trio being divided..hated it..Ron is the life and soul of HP as you said 🙂 🙂 …Love him..

nidsitis
    November 5, 2011 at 10:40 am

I personally put harry a little low on my list of likes. Honestly, I liked hedwig better :p Just saying :p

The story wouldn’t have been what it was without Ron. 🙂 Biased or not, thats the truth 🙂 🙂

Priyanka Victor
    November 5, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Nope she couldn’t have. Why? She would have had to deal with a lawsuit regarding an Indian girl killing herself because she killed Ronald Weasley. I would have never learned ‘git’ without him:D ‘Nuff said.

But I do prefer him after Harry though.

And HG’s legs in the picture, oh my my;P

November 5, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Jake, I was wondering where you were going with what you started with and thanks for explaining the connection. Books tend to have the heroes and the sidekicks but honestly, in real life, I don’t think such categories should exist. As you said, without the supposed side-kicks, our worlds wouldn’t be complete. It takes different people to make this world and a variety of people to make up our social circles…

And yes, sometimes you can’t change the way people perceive you! I made peace with that a long time ago… 😀

November 6, 2011 at 5:03 am

Hehe…you’re right Richa…had it been just Harry and Hermione in the last few books, most of the time would be spent in the library. And of course, all the other points you highlighted make so much sense too…he is both Harry and Hermione’s connection to the history of the wizarding world as well. No matter how much Hermione reads, there are some things even she doesn’t know having been born a muggle. Lol…that line by Ron really stands out, doesn’t it? I also remember him calling people ‘git’…and his confusion around girls and what they want…gotta love him! 🙂

November 6, 2011 at 5:04 am

That should be your New year resolution for 2012 T…to read the HP series!!! 😀

November 6, 2011 at 5:22 am

Yes…totally agree Deepthi…and as Richa said before, Ron is the link to the wizarding world and its history…without him, we would not have as much knowledge and neither would Harry and Hermione!

November 6, 2011 at 5:23 am

Hehe…Harry did get a bit obnoxious, didn’t he, Nids? I think especially so in the fifth and sixth books…I sitll blame him for Sirius’ death! If he wasn’t so high and mighty and well, a stereotypical teenager, he would never have been lured by Voldermort and Sirius wouldn’t end up in the Ministry of Magic and dead…

November 6, 2011 at 6:12 am

Lol…yours would have been more successful than my hate-mail I reckon PeeVee…and yes, the word ‘git’ was a new one to me too and a great one! 😀 For a moment I had no idea what pic you were talking about and then I remembered linking it to the news article…Emma Watson is quite stunning, isn’t she? Don’t think Rupert Grint matches my version of Ron though…

Prajakta Pradhan
    November 9, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Absolutely! I totally agree with you. The series would have been droll without Ron. I too like him more than Harry. He’s been sidetracked all his life. But he still has valour and strength, presence of mind, humor, and the acceptance to be the second best. No way could he have died! J.K.R. couldn’t afford that.

November 12, 2011 at 4:55 am

Long time no see Prajakta…you’re right…Ron is a character who was like a nobody in his own family and then being second best to Harry as well…all of that brought out human emotions most of us could probably identify with at some time in our lives…

whisperingsilence
    November 16, 2011 at 7:04 pm

OMG if Ron was killed off I swear I’d have never touched another Potter book ever..it was bad with the twins & Sirius & Snape too(I mean I felt sad when I learnt his secret later)…Ron is an inseparable part of the story…what’s HP without the humour often unintentional aided by dear old Ronald Weasley! 🙂

November 17, 2011 at 9:06 am

Welcome here Rinaya! Oh I agree about Sirius and the twins…and Lupin for me too…I somehow suspected Snape wouldn’t make it so I guess I was prepared. But yeah, Ron’s humour is so central to the laugh out lous moments in HP!

Ava Suri
    November 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I agree totally.  He really spices up the books most.  Most time Harry is just too full of  angst to be any fun.  But Ron is, from the word GO.  I also believe Rupert Grint is the best actor of the trio.

November 26, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Welcome here Ava! I agree that Harry is dealing with a bit too much most of the time…imagine…without Ron, all we’d have is Harry’s angst and Hermione’s intelligence. No humour! Can’t comment on the actor for Ron because haven’t watched any after the third movie and because he didn’t look like the Ron in my imagination, I didn’t take to him as much.

Ava Suri
    November 29, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Ah well.  I read the books after I saw the movies, a first for me.  So it was the other way round for me.

I read some comments about people feeling sad over the deaths of Sirius, Lupin and Dumbledore.  Dumbledore’s death is well explained.  Sirius’ death is to give an additional edge to Harry’s hate for Voldemort.  But poor Lupin! poor one of the twins! Too bad.

Dinner with five | Over Cups of Coffee
    September 25, 2012 at 8:50 pm

[…] Weasley: Why? Because he’s funny and he’s my favourite character from the series. I love […]

Dinner with five - Living my Imperfect Life