An Epidemic

Right from the tender age of six
All she ever wanted to be
Was someone famous, someone well known —
Like a model or on reality TV
Since the ambitions started early
She made it a point
To look after her appearance
And check that nothing was out of joint
She watched every morsel
And cross-checked the calories
And unlike every other kid
Stayed away from chips and lollies
As she blossomed into adolescence
Her body began to change
The breasts and hips freaked her out
For as a model, she’d look strange
She decreased her food intake
And only ate when cajoled by mum
But then she’d throw it all up
Unbeknownst to anyone
Fitness became a passion
And she’d weigh herself each day
After running for several miles
And pumping weights away
She’d do about a hundred crunches
Working out those abs
The end result was skin and bones
And not an ounce of flab
She was proud to be a size zero
Like several idols she adored
The concerns of friends and well-wishers
She suitably ignored
Her day of fame finally arrived
Though not the way she wanted
She made the local news
After at the shops she collapsed
The doctors weren’t sure she’d live
Her heart was very weak
All the starving and exercise
Was killing her, so to speak
Alas! this epidemic is rampant
The need to be famous and thin
Leading men and women world over
To loathe the skin they’re in
How do we stop this disease?
How can we feel content?
Can we ever be happy the way we are
And cherish life instead?

16 Comments

1. Titaxy

December 9, 2011 at 3:58 am

From the looks of it, this epidemic is only getting worse by the day…what with every other famous person, the idols, endorse the unhealthy lifestyle.

Nice one, PB.

2. Priyanka Victor

December 9, 2011 at 5:09 am

Some one had written a story about a photographer who started touching up photos of artistes to make them look fabulous, right from Marilyn Monroe and such. He started it, now the tradition lives on in the form of Photoshop and the likes; movie stars, famous people have ‘awesome’ skin, ‘amazing’ hair, ‘sexy bodies’ et al.

And us, mere mortals, believe that that is what people should look like, that is the perfect way to be and struggle to reach those impossible heights, slowly killing ourselves physically and mentally.

It’s crappy how people don’t accept themselves for who they are. Girls dreaming of high-flying careers in modelling, becoming anorexic and bulimic in the process and burning out before they hit thirty have become so common, it’s surprising.

You know what’s crappier? Children’s fashion pageants. Little girls dolled up in corsets with excess make up and the works, strutting around in two inch pumps and answering questions with world peace. It’s disgusting, that’s what it is.

Ah well. Too many people for it. And too few against.

3. Magali

December 10, 2011 at 8:17 am

I find it sick that such things happen. Sure I crib about my tummy getting fat & not looking good in a bikini but I cannot believe some kids these days!
    I have never counted calories ever!
    I think fitness is a nice passion to have (I wish I did) but if it becomes an obsession then that’s very bad.
    I wish kids would behave like kids. (though I am being a little hypocritical there).
    I wonder, is there something lacking in their upbringing. Parents don’t have enough time for them so they seek fame to gain approval?

4. Magali

December 10, 2011 at 8:18 am

PS. Very well written. I think you should try to get a book published. 🙂

5. indu chhibber

December 10, 2011 at 1:25 pm

You have the knack of thrashing important topics in poetic form.Being happy in one”s own skin is really the foundation of “A perfect #personality” http://jeeteraho.blogspot.com
    Happiness really comes from our attitude & not external factors.I have touched this topic in “#Happiness” http://jeeteraho.blogspot.com

6. Seena Gie

December 10, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Beautifully written.. 🙂

7. Psych Babbler

December 11, 2011 at 7:15 am

Nice to see you back here T! I concur…it is getting worse and scarily now, I think it’s passing on to men too. Have you seen some of the male models these days? It’s like they are competing with the women in terms of being skinny! Sigh. Thanks for the comment… 🙂

8. Psych Babbler

December 11, 2011 at 9:08 am

So touching up actually started way before Photoshop? Wasn’t aware of that PeeVee. And yes, I agree the children’s pageants are ridiculous! There was this American girl who recently came here to a kid’s pageant and it was scary to see her all made up and strutting around!

9. priyankavictor

December 11, 2011 at 11:25 am

I’m not sure though… This is where I read it:)

10. Psych Babbler

December 14, 2011 at 8:46 am

Welcome here Seena! Thanks… 🙂

11. Psych Babbler

December 14, 2011 at 8:47 am

Thanks Indu…I agree..if you are happy with yourself, it definitely shows through your personality! Will check out your post…

12. Psych Babbler

December 14, 2011 at 9:38 am

Oh trust me Mags…they do a lot more than just count calories. I know of 6 and 7 year olds worried about their body size thanks to our wonderful media and celebs and all that trash!

13. Psych Babbler

December 14, 2011 at 9:38 am

And thanks! That’s a great compliment! 😀

14. Scribbyscribs

December 27, 2011 at 4:51 am

I’m nodding in agreement and clapping for you….the way you’ve weaved the words and the message that is coming out is perfect PB!!!!!

Loved it,I think so far your bestest!