Soapbox Issues

Same-sex marriage: Legalise it already!

Over the last few weeks the issue about same-sex marriage has once again reared its head. Time and again, our pre-historic pollies continue to argue that marriage is a union between a man and a woman.

It’s sad to see Julia Gillard, our first woman PM, still against same-sex marriage despite most in her party favouring it…and despite having a politician in a prime position in a same-sex relationship. In a way to try and please everyone, Ms Gillard decided to have a conscience vote on gay marriage. Whatever that might be.

In this day and age, you have to wonder why a developed nation like ours still has a problem legalising same-sex marriage. The argument about spoiling the ‘sanctity’ of marriage fails big time when you have heterosexual couples marrying for publicity. I’m sure there are homosexual couples whose marriages would last longer than that. And who would be getting married for love rather than publicity. Then there’s the stupid and ignorant argument made by people about how legalising same-sex marriage would stretch to having to legalise polygamy, or beastiality or any other such fetish. Again…what a crock of shit! No one tries to explain how legalising gay marriage would result in the others. It’s just clutching at whatever straws they can. People also continue to use the argument that legalising gay marriage would equate to legalising paedophilia or incest. To those ignorant people I’d like to say: There is a big difference. Paedophilia involves a non-consenting individual. A same-sex relationship (and therefore marriage) is between two consenting adults. And of course, finally, there’s always the argument about how God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. To which I would say: it wasn’t God who made any of us. We evolved from apes. Read Darwin.

So following all that, I would like to reiterate — what’s wrong with same-sex marriage? If two consenting adults are in love and want to get married, they should be allowed to. It shouldn’t matter whether they are man and woman or man and man or woman and woman. I personally am not the biggest fan of marriage as my readers know. But I do think people should have a choice whether or not they want to get married.

I would like to end with this plea to Julia Gillard — legalise same-sex marriage. It’s a big change you can make. And show people you were worth being elected. After all, the carbon tax fiasco has screwed your popularity. You can change that now.

Edited to add: I read the more updated news where during the conscience vote, it seems that Labor leaders appear to back same-sex marriage. Here’s to keeping our fingers crossed that it does get through parliament some time within the next 6 to 12 months.

Prateek
    December 4, 2011 at 9:51 am

“By freedom it is meant to practice whatever one wants without defaming the country/society. Same sex marriage is a personal choice. If parents are not in a state of disapproval, then who is law?” Been pondering this thought since there had been open protest against Act 377 in Delhi.

Prateek
    December 4, 2011 at 9:51 am

nidsitis
    December 4, 2011 at 2:34 pm

SO should be legalised. 😀 I couldn’t agree with you more. Why does it bother the people concerned I don’t get it.

And this insane habit of attaching “consensual” sex and “non-consensual” sex makes me hopping mad!!

SPOT the difference please!! 😐

Love the post. and I second the plea!!

nidsitis
    December 4, 2011 at 2:34 pm

SPOT the difference please!! 😐

Love the post. and I second the plea!!

Ava
    December 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Yay to that.  Imagine the plight of homosexuals in India, where even heterosexual love outside of marriage is seen as horrifying.

Ava
    December 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Towards Harmony
    December 5, 2011 at 9:20 am

I do hope it does get legalized. We can’t dictate who can marry who!

In India we have just decriminalized it, a long way to go before legalizing same-sex marriage, but we are hopeful.

Towards Harmony
    December 5, 2011 at 9:20 am

I do hope it does get legalized. We can’t dictate who can marry who!

Priyanka Victor
    December 5, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I strongly believe that sexual preference is a deeply personal choice and as long as the partners don’t have a problem, what they do in the privacy of their homes is none of our damn business. It’s actually sad that people MAKE it their business and interferes in something that is as non-negotiable as religious beliefs of an individual.

I missed coming here PB:) Lot of catching up to do.

Priyanka Victor
    December 5, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I missed coming here PB:) Lot of catching up to do.

Jake
    December 5, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I think the issue is not that simple Psych, there is a very good chance that Julia Gillard IS approving of same sex marriage, she might just be saying she is against it because she needs the mass Christian voters (which I am guessing exists in Australia), you know the religious freaks who live in the 21st century with a mind that is still stuck in the bronze age. There are a lot of politicians all over the world who pretend to be against it although that is not how they actually feel.

I personally don’t believe in marriage and shit like is partly the reason why.

Jake
    December 5, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I personally don’t believe in marriage and shit like is partly the reason why.

Comfy
    December 6, 2011 at 6:07 am

Have you seen this? http://front.moveon.org/two-lesbians-raised-a-baby-and-this-is-what-they-got/
    How does one ague against this? Hope things change fo the better soon.

Comfy
    December 6, 2011 at 6:07 am

How does one ague against this? Hope things change fo the better soon.

December 6, 2011 at 10:01 am

Exactly Prateek…for most same-sex couples, almost all their loved ones don’t have an issue…why does there then have to be a law stopping them?!

December 6, 2011 at 10:01 am

December 6, 2011 at 10:01 am

Nids, I’m with you…people really need to be trained (not educated — trained!) in spotting that difference!

December 6, 2011 at 10:01 am

December 6, 2011 at 10:19 am

Oh Ava…I can imagine! Did you know I only found out 5 years ago that homosexuality was illegal in India?! The reason being I went to college with a a couple of gay guys and they were out of the closet.

December 6, 2011 at 10:19 am

December 6, 2011 at 10:20 am

I agree TH…there’s still a long way to go in India but Aus with having civil unions and equal rights for same-sex couples in every other aspect should seriously consider changing the Marriage Act. It’s 2011 for crying out loud!

December 6, 2011 at 10:20 am

December 6, 2011 at 10:26 am

PeeVee, I’m inclined to think there is a biological basis for sexual orientation. That aside, I agree with everything you’ve said! 🙂  And yes, I never understand why other people need to have a say in what some people do within their own homes especially as it’s not harming anyone!

And I’ve missed your comments…good to see you back! 🙂

December 6, 2011 at 10:26 am

And I’ve missed your comments…good to see you back! 🙂

December 6, 2011 at 10:30 am

Oh I agree Jake…Julia Gillard’s move for the whole conscience vote thingy was politically motivated…to keep both left and right wing supporters happy enough. And yes, we do have religious freaks — one of whom happens to be the Opposition leader. We’ll be damned the day he ever gets voted in as PM!

December 6, 2011 at 10:30 am

December 6, 2011 at 10:32 am

Thanks for that link Comfy…it was heart-warming! And that’s exactly the point…there is NO difference whether a homosexual couple or a heterosexual couple parent a child as long as it’s a loving and safe environment for the child. For some reason, the right wing religious fanatics seem to think children in a homosexual household witness sexual orgies or something! Go figure!

December 6, 2011 at 10:32 am

Jake
    December 6, 2011 at 4:23 pm

saw the clip and was really touched, if only more people would stand up and speak.

Jake
    December 6, 2011 at 4:23 pm

December 8, 2011 at 12:13 am

It is very heart-warming, isn’t it?

December 8, 2011 at 12:13 am

It is very heart-warming, isn’t it?

Priyanka Victor
    December 9, 2011 at 3:37 am

And I missed running around amok here 🙂 Thanks!

Priyanka Victor
    December 9, 2011 at 3:37 am

And I missed running around amok here 🙂 Thanks!

December 10, 2011 at 6:13 am

🙂

December 10, 2011 at 6:13 am

🙂

Magali
    December 10, 2011 at 7:06 am

It is definitely high time they legalize it everywhere, including here. I have always been vocal in my support for gay rights but that has doubled or tripled since my one of my best friends told me he was gay. It frustrates me that the world is so backward about this. And if it isn’t legalized in Australia when will it happen for India? 🙁

Magali
    December 10, 2011 at 7:06 am

December 13, 2011 at 8:26 am

I agree Mags…I don’t understand why people have to be so narrow minded about this! Gay people are the same as heterosexual individuals just wanting some recognition for their love…

December 13, 2011 at 8:26 am