Life

Morning Person

I have almost never been a morning person. Back in my uni days, I was the night owl. I think it started around Year 9 or 10. I was the one who would stay up late till 2 or 3 in the morning studying. [Only because I could never focus prior to 10 pm]. I would have about 5 to 6 coffees to stay up late and do assignments here in Aus. Because night time was quiet time and I could get a lot more done.

Waking up was always a chore for me. I still remember constantly running late for college or uni because it was such a drag to wake up. In short, I hated mornings.

But then, things started to change. With me starting work in 2008. I still hated mornings. But I couldn’t stay up too late. I’d feel tired around 9ish and pretty much started going to bed around that time or 10. Mind you, I would still run late for work thanks to the snooze button and trouble waking up.

And in the last 6 months or so, things have changed even more.

I am now a morning person.

I prefer waking up at 5 and going to the gym at around 6. I occasionally wake up even before the alarm goes off. To be honest, there are mornings I wish my gym opened before 6 so I could go earlier on some days than having to wait till 6. In fact, once 12 months is up on my current membership, I’m contemplating joining this other one that’s open 24 hours. I have been waking up around 5 or 6 on weekends too. I find that I can get a lot more done on those days having woken up early in the morning. Admittedly, I go to bed by 9:30 – 10:00. But I seem to prefer it this way. Mind you, I still need my morning cup of coffee to kick start the system! And I am still rushing to work after all that…but it’s because of other reasons [Read: cats, gym]

I love that there is so much time in the day!

So which one are you: morning or night?

Nilu
    March 16, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Just like you. I go through cycles. I was a night owl before. But now I wake up at 5 a.m. every morning – before everybody at home and I love the solitary time!

Psych Babbler™
      March 16, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I agree Nilu…it’s nice to have that solitary time!

GR
    March 17, 2012 at 12:16 am

School and college made me a lark. After work started, I transformed into an owl. Like always, I realize the day after (with groggy eyes) that early mornings are so much more better. ;p

Magali
    March 17, 2012 at 2:24 am

Depends at my current sleep cycle, but definitely not a morning person most of the time! 🙂

Psych Babbler™
      March 17, 2012 at 9:35 am

I figured you’d be a night owl Mags! Don’t know why… 🙂

Smita
    March 17, 2012 at 5:40 am

Hmm I have always been a morning person though now a days I don’t get up before 7. Though I wish I could get by 6 for the same reason as yours, there will be so many extra hours in hand! Am working on it so hopefully willmanage to get up by 6 very soon 🙂

Psych Babbler™
      March 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

I think the body gets used to a time as well Smita…the reason I wake up by 5 or 6 on weekends is coz my body is now used to doing it 5 days a week! So yeah, I reckon once you do it for a while, it will become natural!

Gangubai
    March 17, 2012 at 6:46 am

I’m a ‘day’ person. Can’t get up too early in the morning, can’t stay up too late. Does such a category exist?

Ava Suri
    March 17, 2012 at 7:31 am

Ditto! I never was an early morning person, but kids changed all that. I have to be up bright and early to see kids off to school with packed lunches, even though one kid has flown the coop and the second is way taller than me. I like getting up early and seeing the daylight dawn. I wish I could do without sleep altogether and stay up days and nights, but sigh, love my forty-fifty-sixty winks too much.

Psych Babbler™
      March 17, 2012 at 10:00 am

You know Ava…I think getting my kitten changed it even more for me…she would wake up at about 5. Ah all-nighters…done that but don’t think I could do it now!!! And yes, I do love my sleep too!

Ava Suri
      March 19, 2012 at 3:01 am

Kids Kittens, same thing! 😀

Psych Babbler™
      March 24, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Haha…agree!

Michael Horvath
    March 17, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Definitely a morning person although less so on work days.

Psych Babbler™
      March 17, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I know what you mean by less so on work days Michael…it’s hard to get motivated more than anything!! 😀 Weekends are better to be a morning person.

Upasana
    March 17, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I am a morning person too.Have always been so.I love it when my day starts early.An hour of yoga and then a nice cup of “chai” is what i need to get all the energy!

Psych Babbler™
      March 17, 2012 at 10:32 pm

That’s great that you’ve always been that way Upasana…I’ve learnt only recently. It’s nice to have a good start to the day.

Spaceman Spiff
    March 19, 2012 at 8:38 am

Anytime before 9 in the morning, I bite. Literally. I’m SO not a morning person. I stay up till 2-2:30 everyday, and end up rushing to work everyday. thank god for flexi timings (or should I?), otherwise I would’ve been fired long back. :/

Psych Babbler™
      March 19, 2012 at 10:08 am

Lol…I was sorta like that Spiffy…work changed it to an extent and then of course, choosing to go to the gym in the morning. Flexi times? Wow…envious!!!

memoriesandmirages
    March 19, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I used to be a morning person back when I was in school/college. Studies always happened in the mornings. But things changed after work and even though I want to do that wake up early in the morning and going to the gym right after, I can’t seem to. Won’t give up though. I love how much I can get done on days that I do wake early(which is really really rare)

Psych Babbler™
      March 24, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Wow…you’re the opposite! I couldn’t study in the morning even when I had exams on! Would fall asleep with the book in front of me.

Reema
    April 3, 2012 at 10:57 am

Oh I am very much a night person!