Soapbox Issues

The voice of change…

says NO to inequality.

I am a big believer in equality. I hate any form of discrimination based on class, caste, race, gender, looks…you name it and I have a problem with it. As they say in Australia, everyone deserves a “fair go”. Sadly, even here, not everyone gets a fair go!

If I could be influential enough to make a change, I’d definitely try to change all the inequality that exists in this world…

…by legalising same-sex marriage here in Australia. After all, why shouldn’t same-sex couples be given a choice of whether or not to get married?

…by de-criminalising homosexuality in countries where it is still considered illegal and carries a penalty. Why should something biological be punished?

…by imprisoning people who perform female foeticide. Why should a female child be considered any less precious than a male child?

…by de-stimgatising the mentally ill. After all, mental illness does not discriminate who it affects. Why then, should human beings treat the mentally ill any differently?

…by providing enough opportunities for the disabled. Why should someone with a disability not be given equal opportunities especially if they are just differently able?

…by providing women with education in order for them to achieve freedom. Why should women be treated as the ‘weaker’ sex or as secondary citizens just because of their gender?

…by ridding the world of any form of organised religion. After all, religious discrimination is the cause of so many riots and wars. What’s the point of it?

If I could, I would try and achieve a change for all of the above. I am but one person. And this blog is the only way I manage to voice my opinions and hope that people will listen. Maybe some day, in this lifetime, I will see more examples of equality or equal opportunity. Hopefully people will reduce discriminating on these grounds.

After all, we are all human beings to begin with.

In the mean time, I will continue to advocate for equality.

And behave in a way consistent with my beliefs.

This has been written and submitted as part of IndiBlogger’s Time to Change contest. Be the voice of change and tell us what you would want to change around you. You can read other posts here. Thanks to Stayfree for the opportunity to voice my opinions.

indu chhibber
    April 10, 2012 at 11:51 am

I agree with all your views,each discrimination is so crucial,it hurts the affected people sorely…surely we can do something about such inequalities at our levels too!

Psych Babbler™
      April 14, 2012 at 9:19 am

If each one of us tries to discriminate less Indu, I’m sure we can start to make a difference…

Reema
    April 10, 2012 at 11:56 am

nice points! all the best for the contest

Michael Horvath
    April 10, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I think that my pet peeve here in the states is “entitlement”. I think people would treat each other so much better if it did not exist.

Psych Babbler™
      April 14, 2012 at 9:21 am

Oh Michael…entitlement is rife here too! Particularly in the cities. I think on the whole, we are a generation that is a bit too entitled. IF you see the ads on telly as well, they want us to be that way telling us we deserve things…which we don’t!! It’s my pet peeve too and I can go on and on and on about it!!! 😀

R's Mom
    April 11, 2012 at 3:53 am

After all, we are all human beings to begin with.

Loved this line 🙂

Psych Babbler™
      April 14, 2012 at 9:22 am

Thanks RM! I think we forget that we are all humans first when we view each other through glasses coloured by race, caste, class, sexuality, and the rest…

numerounity
    April 11, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Nice views…Good luck for your transformation and contest.

I wanted to participate but missed on deadline…Take care. Hope u will definitely change the world soon!

Psych Babbler™
      April 14, 2012 at 9:23 am

Thanks Numerounity…if I’m not mistaken, you’ve visited before…it’s been a while! If I could change the world, that’d be awesome. But I’m happy to make the small changes that I know I can! 🙂

bill lisleman
    April 11, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Diversity is a good thing. I wish more people would embrace it. I just read a good post (you’ll see my comment if you look) about equality for women.

We are all just one person but we communicate and let others know our feelings, goals, etc. Many people do listen. You can influence others. (oh if you are wondering how I happened by – saw you comment on Lilly’s Life post.)

Psych Babbler™
      April 14, 2012 at 9:35 am

Welcome here Bill! Thanks for the comment…it makes me feel hopeful that it just might be possible to influence people. Sometimes when I listen to shock jocks I find it unfair that such biased people manage to air their views and have gullible people brainwashed…

Vishnu
    April 12, 2012 at 5:33 am

PB – you are influential. Your written word can change the world!

evanescentthoughts
    April 16, 2012 at 3:53 am

Agree with each and every point PB..

Sammy
    April 23, 2012 at 4:01 am

Nicely written
    Well done yaar..all the best.
    Also Check out mine similar issue.Give your comment on it.
    Are Hijra’s(TransGender) not a Human being.?

Pradip Biswas
    April 25, 2012 at 5:24 am

these discrimination is an inertia of the human society which is inbuilt with the formation of human society. With great effort this can be optimized but can not be eliminated. This is a great post.