Out and About

Travel Tales: Cairns

Left Sydney on Saturday, the 5th of May at noon. Had a quick self-check in at the domestic airport. Flew Qantas to Cairns.

Reached Cairns at around 1600 hours and were greeted by warm and sunny weather. Some views from the plane:

Stayed at the Koala Court Serviced Apartments. The owners here were extremely nice and friendly. Helped us book a couple of tours for the next two days.

Sign out front

Living area

Went to the Night Markets that evening but didn’t find anything that caught our eye. Even for pictures.

Did the Kuranda Scenic Tour on Sunday. Went to Kuranda by train.

Saw some wonderful scenery on the way.

Reached Kuranda around 1130. And were ravenous. Visited the Windmill Cafe for a yummy lunch (with good vegetarian options for the Parents).

Smoked salmon and eggs benedict

Veggie brekky

Walked along the main street and checked out some of the markets. Found some interesting things on sale.

Visited the Koala and wildlife sanctuary with some Aussie favourites.

Cuddled a Koala. And missed Pebbles and Buttons while doing so.

Not the one we cuddled but one that was asleep

Headed back through the main town centre towards the skyrail around 2:30.

On the skyrail by 3 and got some amazing views of the landscape.

Touched down in 15 minutes. Got back to the apartment by bus around 4:30. Exhausted.

Day 2 was a tour to the Great Barrier Reef. More specifically, the outer reef. We went through Reef Magic cruises.

Some of the views on the way to the reef:

At the reef, we connected to Marine World. And got ready for some snorkelling.

Snorkellers

My sis and me

Touched Wally the fish and had my photo taken. Saw beautiful marine life of various colours. Reminded me of the movie Finding Nemo.

Me with Wally

Fish that reminded me of Dory

Mum and dad didn’t snorkel. Instead, they had a tour on the glass bottom boat and the semi-submersible to see the marine life.

Had hours of fun. Returned back to shore around 5 p.m. Tired. But happy.

Walked along the Esplanade. Back to Koala Court Apartments.

The esplanade

Left next morning at 8:30 to catch the plane to Brisbane. Wishing that I had booked more days at Cairns as we didn’t explore most of it. At the same time knowing I can go back some day.

So yes, Cairns was a delight. The natural beauty is breath-taking. Apart from this, tourists can also visit Port Douglas and the Daintree rainforest. Just so you know, the underwater photos were taken by the people running the cruise and we purchased our photos and some of the marine life.

Stay tuned for the Brisbane and Melbourne tales.

R's Mom
    May 16, 2012 at 3:37 am

That food pic looks so so yummy! how did you click it so well!!

and oh the other pictures are breathtaking too 🙂

Psych Babblerâ„¢
      May 16, 2012 at 9:47 pm

It was probably the best food on the whole trip RM! Thanks for the compliment but didn’t do much apart from point and shoot…I think the fact that it was so well presented makes it look so good! 🙂

Smita
    May 16, 2012 at 5:49 am

Lolvey pictures!!! Mys on would love the fish pics! Will SHow him in the evening 🙂

And that toy looks lovely! You surely had a great time!!

And do we need to know how to sweim for snorkling?

Psych Babblerâ„¢
      May 16, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Oh I got heaps of fish photos…they are absolutely amazing! Hope your son enjoys these Smita. Re snorkelling, you at least need to know how to thrash your legs…as part of this tour, because they give you float jackets and also other floats if needed, it’s not mandatory. But last year when I went snorkelling elsewhere, there were no such floating jackets and you needed to know how to swim to be able to keep yourself afloat.

Maddie
    May 16, 2012 at 8:19 am

Awesome photos PB!!! Now I think I should definitely visit Australia some day!

Waiting for more photos 🙂

Psych Babblerâ„¢
      May 16, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Thanks Maddie…photos are awesome because the beauty is such! 🙂 And yes, Aus should definitely be a travel destination with Cairns on the list. I so want to go back to Cairns and see parts I still haven’t seen.

Vishnu
    May 16, 2012 at 1:37 pm

sounds like you had a great trip! Wally doesn’t look like he had a sense of humor? 🙂

Psych Babblerâ„¢
      May 16, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Definitely enjoyed the sights Vishnu! Cairns and Melb were favourites. And no Wally didn’t look like he had a sense of humour but he’s making a lot of money for the Reef Magic people and not getting a cut! 😉 Could be a reason to be disheartened… 😛

Praveen Kumar
    May 16, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Awesome collection i like your all pic, thanks for sharing good & nice pic.

My Era
    May 16, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Superb pictures….I can imagine the awesome fun you guys must have had 🙂

Psych Babblerâ„¢
      May 16, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Thanks ME! It was a lot of fun and the sights and natural beauty were amazing. I think my pictures and post don’t do the place justice!

Magali
    May 16, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Beautiful photos, seems like you had a blast!

Psych Babblerâ„¢
      May 16, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Thanks Mags! The trip was great even though I missed Pebs and Buts terribly!

Swaram
    May 17, 2012 at 1:13 pm

All that marine life – loved the pics 🙂
    And nature does look at its best in Cairns 🙂

Psych Babblerâ„¢
      May 17, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Thanks Swar…my post and pics don’t do it enough justice! And Cairns seems so much more untouched than most places…

Bikramjit
    May 17, 2012 at 1:46 pm

beautiful pictures , We could not visit cairns but it is on the list when i go next time to oz…

Bikram’s

Psych Babblerâ„¢
      May 17, 2012 at 8:14 pm

You really should Bikram…seems to be an experience that isn’t to be missed…especially if you have the opportunity.

Chicky a.k.a. Kaddu
    May 25, 2012 at 6:53 am

Really awesome pics! They’re looking so good in such small size… the full-size versions must be magnificent!

Psych Babblerâ„¢
      June 3, 2012 at 3:27 am

Thanks Kaddu! I think the beauty makes it easy to take the pics! If that makes sense…

H is for Holidays #atozchallenge | Over Cups of Coffee
    April 9, 2014 at 6:01 am

[…] I ended a long-term relationship and did not really have a proper holiday {apart from fitting in Cairns, Brisbane and Melbourne in a week when the family was here!}. Consequently I was burnt out in 2013. […]

I need a holiday - Living my Imperfect Life
    August 20, 2017 at 10:09 am

[…] holiday which means I need to save a bit of funds for that. Then I thought of possibly visiting Cairns again and exploring the places I haven’t been to or perhaps try Western Australia. But then, […]

A girl can dream: A romantic date in Queensland - Living my Imperfect Life
    August 20, 2017 at 11:44 am

[…] I went up to Cairns, Brisbane and the Gold Coast last year. But that was with my […]