Feminism Fodder

Lingerie Football League

Yes, you read the title right. Apparently, there is such a thing as a Lingerie Football League. It originated in USA (where else?!) and is now coming Down Under. And of course, rightly so, there are people against it. While at the same time, some people are wholeheartedly accepting it.

First and foremost, let me tell you this — I have no idea about American football. But I don’t see the point in wearing lingerie to play it! Or any sport for that matter. Swimming or beach volleyball are probably the only two sports I can think of where both men and women would wear swimming costumes (one piece or two piece) and it makes sense given the sport. But apart from those, you just know that this kind of outfit is just to objectify women.

For those who argue it is a sport, I don’t buy it. I don’t really see the point in wearing lingerie and then wearing the pads and helmet. Why can’t women wear shorts like the men? Or if lingerie is such an essential part of the sport, well, why aren’t the male footballers wearing it?

Isn’t it enough that women are sex objects in music videos and advertisements? Do we have to refer to something as a sport and make them sex objects there too?

I guess if I think about it, women are probably treated as sex symbols even in sports such as tennis. I mean, just compare some of their outfits to the men. Why couldn’t women just wear shorts and play? I remember wondering that when I was very young. Never figured out an answer then.

To the women who are playing in this so-called LFL…if they want to be treated seriously as sporting professionals, surely, this isn’t a sport that’s going to promote that! All it does is continue to promote the stereotype that women are only good for their bodies and can’t play tough games.

If you want to look at a true sporting professional in the women’s arena, all you have to do is look at the likes of Kim Clijsters or Sam Stosur or Elyse Perry. None of whom have had to wear their undergarments to win games and prove what champions they are.

Kim Clijsters
Sam Stosur
Elyse Perry

R's Mom
    June 5, 2012 at 10:58 am

I can understand where you are coming from…its weird na people come up with any sport!! Does anyone even watch these matches?

Psych Babbler™
      June 11, 2012 at 9:53 am

I think a lot of men probably would be watching this ‘sport’ RM! 🙂

Melbourne on my mind
    June 5, 2012 at 11:01 am

There’s a petition against lingerie football coming to Australia – my best friend sent it to me last week. In case you’re interested: http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-lingerie-football-league-in-australia

The whole thing seems completely and utterly ridiculous. I honestly don’t see how it can be considered a sport. It’s really no different to mud wrestling at the end of the day – all for men to look at boobs and women tackling each other…

Psych Babbler™
      June 11, 2012 at 9:54 am

Thanks for that! I signed it…

Mud wrestling is a good analogy…that’s exactly what this is like and yes, it’s purely to whet the appetite of men…

Nisha
    June 6, 2012 at 4:59 am

Oh God, this is absolutely ridiculous! I’m sure the people who are supporting this are all men with no respect for women. I already find the idea of cheer leaders a little weird… this is not acceptable at all.

Psych Babbler™
      June 11, 2012 at 9:55 am

Oh I agree Nisha…they have to be the supporters. Makes me wonder why the women playing this ‘sport’ do it though! Sigh. And yes, I don’t understand the whole cheerleading thing either…they never have male cheerleaders for women’s sports!

Gangu
    June 7, 2012 at 6:13 am

Ridiculous! And these women are ‘serious’ about the game? Gimme a break!

How are you doing? Hope your health is back on track. Sorry have been away for a while.

Psych Babbler™
      June 11, 2012 at 9:57 am

I know right! How can you be serious about something like this!!!

And good to see you back Gangu! My health is a lot better touchwood…still catching up on old posts on all the blogs I follow!