Life

Re-evaluating

It’s time for me to re-evaluate my life. It’s something I have been doing sporadically in the past few months. However, I plan to actually sit down in the next few weeks and write down my plans and goals. And also think about some decisions I have made and re-think them.

Some of you might remember how last year I was contemplating starting some private work. Well, I did. Sort of. In February this year, I found a place and started to try to work some Saturdays. Till now, I’ve had 4 clients for one-off assessments. I have tried to do a bit of marketing but haven’t been very enthusiastic about it. I guess the reality of your own private business hit me only after I began. And that too, not straightaway. There was one difficult parent I dealt with and that made me realise how much I missed having a team to work with. Someone to talk to about it and whinge about it. And I wonder whether I haven’t been marketing and networking wholeheartedly because honestly, my heart isn’t in it. I’m not sure now whether I should market my work with some more persistence and give it till Feb 2013 to see if things pick up. Or whether I should just give private practice a miss and continue my public service job. Which I love.

Basically, I need to figure out if I really want this. Part of me wishes I could have figured it out earlier. Before I shelled out money for a room ($200 per month). Before I spent money on getting business cards and brochures. Before I spent money on registering a business name. But again, I thought I wanted it. I just didn’t realise how much I’d miss a team environment. And if I give up now, is it failure on my part? I don’t know.

I also want to decide on further study. Seriously consider it. Not a PhD. But rather a D. Psych in Clinical Psychology. Apart from the extra knowledge, you also get paid more as a clinical psychologist. And being in the health system makes it easier to get placements through secondments in other departments.

I want to say that I want to re-evaluate my personal life but after one date, I feel like I need a break. A break from it all and just enjoy being single. I would like to expand my social group though. At the moment, I have two book clubs. I have also recently joined a theater club and am going for the first meet up in September.

Finally, and most importantly I suppose, I want that work-life balance. I want to be able to spend more time with the cats. Read more of the books on my bookshelf. Lose the weight I have to lose. Be healthy.

Is this what they call a mid-life crisis?Β

Scribby
    August 5, 2012 at 6:54 am

Sigh PB…same story almost of every professional’s life πŸ™‚ I too keep contemplating with what to do…though I have my wishes quiet clear in my head but when it comes to really putting them to reality I’m stuck between ifs and buts πŸ™

Take your time and decide wisely..I’m sure you’ve and you will evaluate all your options…good luck!

August 15, 2012 at 4:19 am

I know Scribby…I think it’s important for everyone at some stage to do this anyway. But yeah, while in my head there’s a lot of stuff I think it’s only going to be clear if I write it down and weigh up everything clearly. Thanks for the support! πŸ™‚

Scribby
    August 5, 2012 at 6:54 am

August 15, 2012 at 4:19 am

Janine
    August 5, 2012 at 9:31 am

I so hear you. I went through this at the end of last year / start of this year, got the ABN, did a few paid jobs, increased the networking, but it just wasn’t feeling right, and now I find myself with a great company who shares the same ethos as me…with opportunities. And yes, I realised I want the time to sit and read, to be at peace, to exercise, etc. I don’t want to spend all of my spare hours working…my mindset may change again, but at the moment a steady income is great, as well as the support from a good employer. I would never have been able to get through the last months, what with Den’s accident and all, without it.

August 15, 2012 at 4:19 am

Janine it’s so good to hear someone else who went through this process of starting their own business but then realising it’s probably not for them. And yes, the security a salary gives you is unmatched! I do wonder what if I fall sick etc and I have no spouse to depend on so it’s vital I have a job where I can take sick leave or annual leave. Thanks for your words!

Janine
    August 5, 2012 at 9:31 am

August 15, 2012 at 4:19 am

goingbeyondthepages
    August 5, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I think you should give it a shot till Feb next year if you genuinly feel motivated about it. But if it is not feeling right, it is time to think hard. Let me tell you, you are not a failure if you decide to quit because it is never easy to figure out what one really wants. You tried, that’s the important thing.

August 15, 2012 at 5:11 am

I’m going to think about my motivations Jas and yes, might give it a shot till Feb next year if I do feel motivated enough. And thanks for the kind words re not being a failure. πŸ™‚

goingbeyondthepages
    August 5, 2012 at 12:45 pm

August 15, 2012 at 5:11 am

Charleen
    August 5, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I don’t think that’s a mid-life crisis, I think that’s just life. The eternal struggle to find balance and contentment. Good luck getting it all sorted out!

August 15, 2012 at 5:15 am

Thanks Charleen…it is part of life, isn’t it? To evaluate and re-evaluate. To live for work or to work to live? Questions, questions, questions!

Charleen
    August 5, 2012 at 2:05 pm

August 15, 2012 at 5:15 am

~G
    August 6, 2012 at 3:50 am

I say hang in there PB. There are low periods and maybe you are going thro’ just that wrt your private practice. Since you’ve gone ahead and put in efforts and money in it already, I’ll say give it some more time before you give up.

August 15, 2012 at 5:26 am

Thanks G! The thing is, I don’t think it’s because I haven’t got referrals…I really haven’t tried hard enough. I sent out a few brochures but wasn’t motivated enough to call and follow up which tells me I’m not giving it my all. And not in the mood to do so. That’s why I really need to think seriously about whether I want to do this!

~G
    August 6, 2012 at 3:50 am

August 15, 2012 at 5:26 am

memoriesandmirages
    August 6, 2012 at 3:56 am

first off, hugs. i don’t think it will be “failure” on your part if you want to give it up now. you tried something you wanted to, and giving it up if you are ot enjoying it as much as you thought you would just makes sense to me. anyway, im sure you will give it more careful consideration before making the big decision.

studies – go for it πŸ™‚

August 15, 2012 at 5:33 am

Thanks T for the reassurance re the failure part. And yes, very tempted to apply for studies…let’s see if I get in.

memoriesandmirages
    August 6, 2012 at 3:56 am

studies – go for it πŸ™‚

August 15, 2012 at 5:33 am

memoriesandmirages
    August 6, 2012 at 3:56 am

best wishes, btw πŸ™‚

memoriesandmirages
    August 6, 2012 at 3:56 am

best wishes, btw πŸ™‚

R's Mom
    August 6, 2012 at 7:48 am

Its just happens to every one rey..not just mid life crisis…its just life eh?

big hugs and hope things sort out..

Wait, I pretty much said what Charleen up is saying πŸ™‚

August 15, 2012 at 5:39 am

Haha…thanks RM! It is just life…full of questions and considerations! πŸ˜€

R's Mom
    August 6, 2012 at 7:48 am

Its just happens to every one rey..not just mid life crisis…its just life eh?

big hugs and hope things sort out..

Wait, I pretty much said what Charleen up is saying πŸ™‚

August 15, 2012 at 5:39 am

Haha…thanks RM! It is just life…full of questions and considerations! πŸ˜€

wordingmythoughts
    August 6, 2012 at 8:18 am

I don’t think it’s a crisis PB. Happens all the time when you are struggling to make a choice. I say give it a go till next year. I don’t know how the system works there, but can you not have a colleague join you in your private practice? That way you get to share the expenses as well have someone to talk it out with. Easier said than done though.

And give yourself a break, don’t be so hard wounded. Life happens and things don’t go as planned. That’s just the way it is πŸ™‚

August 15, 2012 at 5:52 am

Thanks Maddie. Yes I can have someone join me but at this point my friends are either not interested or are already part of another private practice. I am currently wondering if I should just join someone else’s private practice. Life would be easier. πŸ™‚ And yes, life doesn’t go as planned.

wordingmythoughts
    August 6, 2012 at 8:18 am

August 15, 2012 at 5:52 am

Ash
    August 6, 2012 at 8:20 am

The first step is realization that something needs to be done πŸ™‚ so good thinking, and good luck!

August 15, 2012 at 6:03 am

Thanks Ash! Sounds like first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem… πŸ˜› But I agree!!

Ash
    August 6, 2012 at 8:20 am

August 15, 2012 at 6:03 am

Bikramjit
    August 6, 2012 at 10:03 am

NO its no crisis, everything takes time , slow and steady ..

all the best I will say you are stronger then me for sure you gave it a shot, I am too scared to even try it

Bikram’s

August 15, 2012 at 6:04 am

Thanks Bikram! Appreciate your kind words…

Bikramjit
    August 6, 2012 at 10:03 am

NO its no crisis, everything takes time , slow and steady ..

Bikram’s

August 15, 2012 at 6:04 am

Thanks Bikram! Appreciate your kind words…

Richa
    August 6, 2012 at 10:30 am

Can’t you team up with someone else for private clinic. That way, you would still have someone to talk. Just an idea. I guess I keep seeing all the private doctors/psychiatrist (and lawyers), opening practices as partners instead of their own so thought it will be a good idea for you as well…

As Charleen said, its not a mid-life crisis. Not yet. According to my understanding, mid-life crisis is more about realizing that you are aging and haven’t yet done so many things you wanted to do in your life. You try to do all of them at once when that realization strikes you. I know this because a friend of mine is going through that stage. At times its funny. At times its pretty sad.

August 15, 2012 at 6:05 am

I could Richa but my friends are either in someone else’s private practice or not interested in private work at the moment. Sometimes I think when I started it was because I had this thought that I just have to do everything now. I forget that I am only 28 and do things as though there isn’t enough time. Oh well, will think it out rationally and decide. Thanks for the support!

Richa
    August 6, 2012 at 10:30 am

August 15, 2012 at 6:05 am

R is for Regret nothing #atozchallenge | Over Cups of Coffee
    April 21, 2014 at 6:01 am

[…] years, I have had a major failed relationship, some other potentials gone wrong, tried and tested private practice, quit a job after trying it for 7 months, met new people and lost touch with others, crashed a car, […]

R is for Regret nothing #atozchallenge | Over Cups of Coffee