Humour

Shades of grey

If you thought I was referring to the book, I’m sorry to inform you that you were mistaken.

The grey I’m referring to is part of me. Or my head to be precise. Yes, I have started getting more and more strands of grey hair. I’ve had 4 strands of grey for a while but in the last month or so, more strands seem to be coming to view. One sits directly on my fringe. The fact that I had a hair cut a month ago seems to have coincided with this ability to view the greys more clearly. I wonder if there is a connection…

Now, I’m someone who has never coloured their hair. My hair is still its natural black colour.  And I kinda always knew I’d grey early given my genes. Apparently, both my parents started going grey in their twenties. [Although my mum might deny it] So it’s been a while coming.

I remember when I was younger and my mum would colour her hair, I would be extremely critical of her. “Why can’t you just let it be natural?” I’d ask. Like a saint and a know-it-all in my teenage years I scoffed that I would let myself be naturally grey and would never dye my hair.

Can I take back those words?

Because, you see, I don’t know how much grey I want to show the world in my late twenties or even my thirties. I’ll think about it in my forties. It’s definitely not at a stage where I need to colour it yet. But it’s getting there. In another year or so I reckon it will be time. I just hope I can get a colour that’s as close to my natural colour as possible.

Source

It makes me think though — we can judge people and say things with so much conviction when we are not present. But if and when it happens to us, that’s the only time we know for sure what we will do. True, this is a funny incident and nowhere near being earth-shattering. But think about the number of times we think in judgemental way about others… “If I were her, I’d never do that“, “If I were in that relationship, I’d never stand for that“.

Well, we are not there. And we have no right to judge with so much conviction.

I’ll stop there with the seriousness and head back to the trivial nature of this post with one final question:

How many of you colour your hair? Recommendations for hair colouring products please!

Oh…and one more question:

How many of you have sworn when you were younger that you wouldn’t do something only to find out years later that that’s exactly what you are doing?

Do share!

Chicky a.k.a. Kaddu
    September 6, 2012 at 7:06 am

😀 What’s the point of coloring your grey hair if you’re going to give it the same shade as the rest of your hair! For example, I, for one, would love to have a few streaks of grey so that I could get a lock of color-dyed brown hair or magenta or burgundy or … well, anything other than the black it is! Tch! Some girls have all the luck! Anyway, my sister uses Loreal hair color to dye her grey strands. If you want any further information on this, I can introduce the 2 of you and you girls can chat up directly.

Chicky a.k.a. Kaddu
    September 6, 2012 at 7:06 am

celestialrays
    September 6, 2012 at 7:12 am

I am tired of dealing with mine! I used Loreal colour as they said its safe. I have concluded that nothing is safe after more grey hair. Contemplating on using henna. I don’t know where to begin.

As a teen I said I would never leave India. You know how that went 🙂

celestialrays
    September 6, 2012 at 7:12 am

As a teen I said I would never leave India. You know how that went 🙂

Lilly
    September 6, 2012 at 7:27 am

I colour my hair as I got greys in my 20s too and now my daughter is the same. I have decided to keep coloring my hair until I am a grandmother lol. And may change my mind when that happens too. As for products, I am fair but my daughter dyes her own very dark hair using products from the supermarket. Easy and cheap just make sure its semi permanent. And yes of course we keep changing our mind as the years pass by, its our perogative after all. Have fun with the hair dye.

Lilly
    September 6, 2012 at 7:27 am

R' Mom
    September 6, 2012 at 7:28 am

LOL, just like you I used to ask my Amma why she used to colour her hair in her late 30s…I am greying as well..but not too much..so what I do is ask the husband to apply mehendi once in a month 😉

You can try L’Oreal, Amma has been using it for many years now…

But why colour it black? colour something else na..

R' Mom
    September 6, 2012 at 7:28 am

You can try L’Oreal, Amma has been using it for many years now…

But why colour it black? colour something else na..

Smita
    September 6, 2012 at 10:16 am

Hmmmm My hair was jet black till i decided to color them. Now I have greys appearing here n there and my MIL is behind my life to apply mehndi. However I am just ok with the way they are because I cannot see them so why shud I be bothered 😉

Smita
    September 6, 2012 at 10:16 am

Makk
    September 6, 2012 at 10:41 am

Well, I guess I learnt it long back “Never say never”

though I have thought of many things to not to, but somehow I able to maintain my words in most cases.

Makk
    September 6, 2012 at 10:41 am

Well, I guess I learnt it long back “Never say never”

Susan Deborah
    September 6, 2012 at 11:01 am

Ah, I have been there too – the judging bit. I always swore that I will never ever colour my hair. I haven’t coloured my hair but my perceptions have changed. Everything has an age to appear and greys are also like that. They look good and sagely when one is fortyish not earlier. My mom colours her hair and she is 51. She uses a herbal product called V-Care and it suits her just fine and the hair colouring looks pretty natural. I don’t know whether that product is available there.
    And, whenever I spot grey strands, I promptly pluck them off with my tweezers. Problem solved till they appear (but that is after a long time, though).

Joy always,
    Susan

Susan Deborah
    September 6, 2012 at 11:01 am

Joy always,
    Susan

Karan Shah
    September 6, 2012 at 11:18 am

i like the way you relate this to being judgmental…how about looking at some fat person and being sarcastic without knowing that the person may be suffering from a thyroid deficiency or some other problem for that matter…was a nice read

you can check out my blog here

Karan Shah
    September 6, 2012 at 11:18 am

you can check out my blog here

Janine
    September 6, 2012 at 1:12 pm

hehehe we are so similar. I DO colour my hair after refusing to do it for years as I embraced my redness, only to find out that – yes me to – red heads start to go to white early…

I have a really good hair dresser friend now I trust with my hair – it took me years to find one. And she recommends colours. Sometimes we step out and try a few blonde highlights, a deeper shade of red, go browner, etc. I did find that the blonde (peroxide) made my hair brittle though. So use that as a warning!

My advise is find someone you trust and don’t let them go! My white hairs have come on with a vengeance lately – I suspect due to all of the stress and I just turned 35 (argh).

Another word of advise…once you start you can’t stop. Or – if you do stop, be prepared for people to notice! Not that there’s anything wrong with going grey / white. It’s just before 40 hehe…Life!

Janine
    September 6, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Femba Girl
    September 6, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Been there, said that (to my mum:)). I’m graying too although my mom and the salon women think it isn’t too bad. I apply henna once in 2-3 months, but I’ve been thinking of getting it colored professionally. And only black would suit me, so can’t get too adventurous there.The problem is I started plucking out the gray hairs and I swear 2-3 grow back around every one I pulled out!
    p.s. – Hi! Sorry haven’t been in touch for a while. Been super busy, will catch up soon.

Femba Girl
    September 6, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Julia
    September 8, 2012 at 2:25 am

As a person with very ordinary mousy brown hair, I’ve tried all sorts of coloring since my early 20’s. I do have a fantastic product to recommend: henna from Lush. They have red, brown, black colours. It’s all natural and smells incredible and makes your hair super shiny and healthy looking. It is a bit messy to apply – very very messy, or maybe that’s just me… – but is worth it in my opinion. Henna all the way.

Julia
    September 8, 2012 at 2:25 am

Scribby
    September 8, 2012 at 7:44 am

I never swore in like that or may be it never occurred to me that I must swore in something like this 😉 jokes apart when my head starting showing greys I had surely promised myself I would never color my hair..you know those hair color to hide greys but I would certainly do something about hiding the grey..so how do I hide them?

I use henna…earlier it was once in 6 months and now it is once in 3 months…and my hair are healthy, soft, shiny and trust me not red! Cause lot people have this notion that applying henna makes you have a red head but I want to clarify here: it’s not henna that makes your head red but the time you leave it on your hair does that..usually 1 hour is enough for the henna to do it’s job on all hair and not paint them red…you keep it for longer hours, the henna will do it’s job for longer time, getting me? 🙂

so try this idea if it suits you…but this way your hair stay away from chemicals and it’s cheap too 😉

Scribby
    September 8, 2012 at 7:44 am

Lazy Pineapple
    September 10, 2012 at 4:58 am

I never thought of hair colour when I was younger. My mother started colouring her hair in her 60’s. I have a few grey hair but they are hidden at the moment. Will think of hair colour when I get there…

Lazy Pineapple
    September 10, 2012 at 4:58 am

» Shades of grey | Over Cups of Coffee » Hair Styles For Hair ! Hairstyles for hair
    September 15, 2012 at 9:36 pm

[…] Here is the original post: Shades of grey | Over Cups of Coffee […]

September 15, 2012 at 9:36 pm

[…] Here is the original post: Shades of grey | Over Cups of Coffee […]

Women’s Web: Pick of the Week | Women's Web: Online Community For Indian Women
    September 17, 2012 at 3:16 pm

[…] Babbler writes about how disliking her grey hair made her realise that judging someone for doing something you disapprove of comes easily, but you […]

Women’s Web: Pick of the Week | Women's Web: Online Community For Indian Women
    September 17, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I Heart My Body - Over Cups of Coffee
    October 25, 2012 at 7:45 pm

[…] <3 I love my hair. Despite the fact that it’s starting to grey a little. […]

I Heart My Body - Over Cups of Coffee
    October 25, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Kristina
    April 13, 2013 at 4:04 pm

Ironically I found your page whilst researching if there is any connection between premature grey hair and coffee drinking…ever thought about it?

Kristina