Humour

Confessions of a novice Shopaholic

I am Psych Babbler. And {I think} I am a shopaholic.

To those who have been following this space since its conception in 2007-08, this must come as a surprise. Especially given that I have previously blogged heaps about how shopping doesn’t interest me and that it’s mainly books I spend all my money on.

Well, the book shopping still exists.

But, unfortunately for my bank account, some other things have been added to the mix.

Clothes

Shoes

Cosmetics

Clothes

Jewellery

Clothes

Ever since that day I went a bit crazy, well, I’ve only gotten crazier. More so because of all the weight I’ve been losing. I feel really good about myself and feel like wanting to dress up. Yes. Tomboy me wants to dress up. In skirts and dresses and heels. It’s like something flipped in my brain. I find that when I dress up, I feel a lot more confident as well. I just wish I could dress up and have these amazing new clothes for not so much money.

The really bad part is that I’ve been putting most of it on my credit card. 😳 And been shopping online. Online shopping is so dangerous. I knew that with books. And now, with the clothes, I find dresses or skirts or tops that look good and with a click of a button, it’s in the bag. Before you know it, you’ve spent about $100 buying a few outfits. Whether it’s the store’s official website or eBay  I just keep looking! I also find that I cannot walk past a sale sign and just have to look at the shoes or dresses on display.

I need help.

Fast.

I’m still able to pay off most of my credit card and my bills and mortgage. But I had goals for this year of trying to save for a plan. Unfortunately, I also had a resolution of getting out of my comfort zone at the same time. And some parts have involved shopping apparently. Sigh. 🙄

So, my dear readers, if there is any advice you can offer, it would be greatly appreciated. From current shopaholics to recovering shopaholics to non-shopaholics. How do you resist the temptation???

***Linking up with Jess and the others over at IBOT because it’s a Tuesday!***

My Era
    February 19, 2013 at 6:16 am

Being a miser helps.

Though am neither a miser nor a shopaholic. To be very honest, I have never had to control my urge to shop so I can imagine it must be hard for those who enjoy shopping 🙂

Chicky a.k.a. Kaddu
      February 21, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Hahaha! That was so spontaneous and so direct!

My Era
        February 21, 2013 at 8:44 pm

P.S. I like your name & also the nick name 😀

February 24, 2013 at 6:29 pm

😆 ME…I agree…being a miser helps. And I used to be one. A very good one through uni and well, until very recently. Sigh…

My Era
    February 19, 2013 at 6:16 am

Being a miser helps.

Chicky a.k.a. Kaddu
      February 21, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Hahaha! That was so spontaneous and so direct!

My Era
        February 21, 2013 at 8:44 pm

P.S. I like your name & also the nick name 😀

February 24, 2013 at 6:29 pm

redlandcitygirl
    February 19, 2013 at 10:36 am

I haven’t gotten into online shopping for clothes – yet. But watch out if I do start!

February 24, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Online shopping is dangerous. Period. 😐 Good luck if you do start. I’d recommend not even going there…

redlandcitygirl
    February 19, 2013 at 10:36 am

February 24, 2013 at 6:30 pm

coloursofsunset
    February 19, 2013 at 10:55 am

the only advice I can offer, that I need to take myself, is cut up the credit cards!!! Or put it in the freezer in a block of ice! We are trying to pay off our’s too and it doesn’t seem to be happening! I agree – clothes shopping is DANGEROUS when you’ve lost weight! It’s a mix of necessity (all my clothes were getting way too big!) and it finally feels GOOD to try clothes on! It’s a potent combination. Other advice – op shops and family/friends who might have clothes to get rid of, much cheaper option! -Aroha #teamIBOT

February 24, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I like the idea of op-shops or cheaper options Aroha. The cutting up of the card or freezing it probably won’t help as much because I actually know my credit card details by heart! {Shows just how bad it is!}

coloursofsunset
    February 19, 2013 at 10:55 am

February 24, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Mandy
    February 19, 2013 at 11:21 am

Im not in the best position to give u advice!! I have a beauty blog and have been collecting make up. That one is my soft spot. If I really want to go on a spending ban, I just try not to look at beauty blogs/websites to tempt myself. Fingers crossed.

February 24, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I think I’m going to have to do that…forbid myself from looking at websites and also the emails about sales that get sent to me!!!

Mandy
    February 19, 2013 at 11:21 am

February 24, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Eleise @ A very blended family
    February 19, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I do love shopping too but I refuse to use a credit card unless I have the money to pay it off. Hubby is a bit more liberal with his though. Every time you make a purchase take the money from another account to pay it off – you will spend less. I found you on IBOT

February 24, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Welcome here Eleise…I like your idea of having to pay off the credit card immediately…that way, you know if you have the money or not. Will take that on board!! Thanks!

Eleise @ A very blended family
    February 19, 2013 at 12:39 pm

February 24, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Smita
    February 19, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I went into this phase couple of years back, I used to shop like crazy, sale or no sale…..then I dried my bank account and realised what I was doing. And then I started following these steps when I saw something attractive at a store. I start thinking on these lines

a- Do I really need it?
    b- What do I already have in my cupboard
    c- How will it effect me if I don’t buy it. etc etc

if by the end of this thought process I am still convinced I buy otherwise I pass!!!!

But then i also believe in the simple fact that if we manage to save we shud also indulge ourselves 🙂

February 24, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Do I really need it? Well…unfortunately, my mind tends to say yes to that one! 😛
      But I get your point…I’m going to reduce the spending and reward myself every few months. I have to or else I’ll be drying up my bank account and honestly cannot afford to do that!!!

Smita
    February 19, 2013 at 4:59 pm

a- Do I really need it?
    b- What do I already have in my cupboard
    c- How will it effect me if I don’t buy it. etc etc

February 24, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Zita
    February 19, 2013 at 5:01 pm

My friend has put a ban on me buying any new clothes until easter (it started in January) and I am finding it is making me accountable because I don’t want to let her down and I like a challenge! I want to be able to brag about it if or should I say when I succeed! I have been simply avoiding the shops altogether. When I do my grocery shopping I find it best to park as close as I can to the grocery store and walk in and out of the closest exits so that I see as few other tempting shops as possible. I have also cut back on my online shopping but that’s mainly because I am too exhausted to be bothered by the end of the day. Perhaps you need another hobby that doesn’t involve shopping..LOL

February 24, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Welcome here Zita! I love that idea of making yourself accountable…I know that worked with me with regards to the gym. I think I’m going to take that on. Oh and another hobby…I keep myself really busy through the week and I noticed my last few purchases were all on the weekend when I was on the couch with a glass of wine. I think that might be a red flag there!! Thanks for the idea…will definitely be using that.

Zita
    February 19, 2013 at 5:01 pm

February 24, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Amrita
    February 20, 2013 at 1:14 am

Hi there! I’ve been reading your blog for a while and really enjoy it! I used to live in Canberra till 3 years ago so I feel a sense of longing especially with your posts about the sea!
    This post touched a chord since I too found myself shopping a bit too much over the last year! This year (so far!) I’ve just taken to telling myself ‘I have everything I need!! and I need to use it before getting new stuff! It seems to be working so far…
    Cheers

February 24, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Welcome here Amrita! I will use that point too about having everything I need. I think it’s the most important thing — the wants versus the needs! Oh well. Maybe few of these tips together will help me refrain from spending.

Amrita
    February 20, 2013 at 1:14 am

Cheers

February 24, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Lilly
    February 20, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I say just enjoy it for a while and then the thrill of it will pass. My daughter did the same when she took up running and suddenly she had a whole new shape. Enjoy yourself for a while and have fun. Set yourself a limit or a timeframe to stick to and then get back on track. I do not blame you wanting to dress up. Congratulations on your weight loss and feeling great about yourself! It is wonderful!

February 24, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I have been enjoying it all this time Lilly…I think the time has come to stop. 🙂 Thanks!

Lilly
    February 20, 2013 at 4:56 pm

February 24, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Chicky a.k.a. Kaddu
    February 21, 2013 at 5:27 pm

“It’s like something flipped in my brain.”

Oh boy! Didn’t u experience some sort of identity crisis when this first happened?

February 24, 2013 at 8:40 pm

😆 I did Chicky! Initially I felt like I was betraying myself…and then rational brain set in and decided that I’m just starting a new phase in life I suppose… 🙂

Chicky a.k.a. Kaddu
    February 21, 2013 at 5:27 pm

“It’s like something flipped in my brain.”

February 24, 2013 at 8:40 pm

babblingbandit
    February 28, 2013 at 11:11 am

I can so relate to this. I have a terrible shopping problem. I constantly over commit myself and buy way too many clothes for me and toys for my son. I’m compulsive. As a recovering drug and alcohol addict I have replaced my previous addictions with shopping and sugar. I have a budget spreadsheet and document everything that I spend but still I live from pay day to pay day. I hate it. It causes so much anxiety but I don’t know what to do to control it. Can’t stay indoors all the time.

I think I should do as one of the commenters said above and park closest to the supermarket and avoid all the clothes shops. I have also resolved not to go to shopping centres with my 4 year old any more. I am so weak and give in to nagging for toys which is doing my budget no good and is also not great for his sense of boundaries.

Another problem, like you, is all the emails from stores I get everyday. I am constantly unsubscribing.

I was actually going to write a post on this subject this week.

Great blog. And good luck with curbing your spending.

Vanessa

babblingbandit
    February 28, 2013 at 11:11 am

I was actually going to write a post on this subject this week.

Great blog. And good luck with curbing your spending.

Vanessa

Deals galore at Coupon Dunia — Over Cups of Coffee
    March 7, 2013 at 9:05 am

[…] Myntra coupons would be perfect for that. Given my recent love for dresses and skirts {and well, clothes shopping in general} I found some amazing outfits I could get. Like this red lacy number for instance or the casual […]

Deals galore at Coupon Dunia — Over Cups of Coffee
    March 7, 2013 at 9:05 am

Shopaholic Detox — Over Cups of Coffee
    March 20, 2013 at 9:36 pm

[…] reading comments to my post from last week about me being a shopaholic and also talking to friends, I’ve received some handy hints and […]

Shopaholic Detox — Over Cups of Coffee
    March 20, 2013 at 9:36 pm

myprosperity: Helping me get my finances in order — Over Cups of Coffee
    July 31, 2013 at 8:07 pm

[…] confessed a few months ago about how much money I was spending on clothes. And sadly, had been putting those […]

myprosperity: Helping me get my finances in order — Over Cups of Coffee