Feminism Fodder

Half the Sky

Last week I attended a screening of Half the Sky organised by the St. George and Sutherland Shire Amnesty Group at Cronulla Cinemas. It’s a documentary with a simple premise: Women make up half the world’s population and yet, world over, through oppression, physical and sexual violence, lack of education are prevented from reaching their true potential. The three issues which we watched were violence in Sierra Leone, selling girls and women for prostitution in Cambodia and girls’ education in Vietnam. Three celebrities {Eva Mendes, Meg Ryan and Gabrielle Union} follow the stories of some remarkable girls and women along with journalist Nicholas Kristof. The reason for using celebrities is with the hope of spreading the message of oppression further than what it otherwise would have if only Nicholas Kristof has presented the cases.

The documentary was very powerful in that it evoked outrage and distress at what some of these women have gone through. At the same time, personally, it brought a sense of hope. At the resilience shown by some of these women. The manner in which women like Somaly Mam fight adversity and still manage to help others sold for prostitution or the young girls in Vietnam living in squalor and yet valuing education was heart-warming.

The Half the Sky movement is a start. A start to understanding how hard almost half the population has it in this world even today. And it’s not something that is necessarily just occurring in developing countries. Women everywhere are still subject to physical and sexual violence. They are still subject to discrimination based on purely their gender.

Hopefully, if we all work together, we can help turn oppression into opportunity for women.

I for one, am grateful to have received the opportunities I have in life. And as a result, it makes me want to do more and give back.

How? I don’t know yet. Being active with the Amnesty group and Sydney Feminists is a start. And I’m hoping I’ll figure the rest out soon.

Until then, I’ll aim to spread the words through this space.

February 26, 2013 at 2:52 am

I haven’t seen this documentary but I’ve read Somaly Mam’s book and it was heart wrenching. Like you, I hope to, too, someday give back in some way or the other, just haven’t figured out how.

March 3, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Ooh…I need to get my hands on her book T! Will look it up. She is an amazing and inspirational woman!

February 26, 2013 at 2:52 am

March 3, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Avada Kedavra
    February 26, 2013 at 8:23 am

Havent heard about this movement or the documentary.. Even I want to do something about it someday..

Avada Kedavra
    February 26, 2013 at 8:23 am

March 3, 2013 at 3:08 pm

It’s very impressive reading or watching about people like this…makes you feel so motivated to do something and to take action. Hopefully some day we can all do our bit

The Month that was February — Over Cups of Coffee
    March 16, 2013 at 4:24 pm

[…] My book club re-started. But I gave up on that book. {It was Villette by Charlotte Bronte and I tried but eventually realised life was too short to pursue this one!}. The Amnesty group monthly meeting was back with a bang for the year. I have volunteered to (wo)man our stall on women’s rights and human rights in general for a couple of hours next Sunday at the Art of Living Festival at Bundeena. {Do come over and say hi if you are around!}. I also watched an amazing doco that was aired through the local Amnesty group: Half the Sky. […]

The Month that was February — Over Cups of Coffee