Life

Shopaholic Detox

After reading comments to my post from last week about me being a shopaholic and also talking to friends, I’ve received some handy hints and valuable advice. March is going to be the month when it all begins. When I go cold turkey. From shopping.

Basically, I am going to make a vow to not shop for the following:

• Clothes
  • Shoes
  • Jewellery
  • Nail polish, mascara, eyeliner and lipstick {I keep buying mainly these!}
  • Books
  • DVDs
  • Music {Thankfully, I pre-ordered Birds of Tokyo’s new album which releases on Friday!}
  • Technology {Unless my phone breaks or something…}

How am I going to do it?

• For starters, I’m hoping blogging about it will make me accountable to everyone here. I will keep letting you all know how I am going with the detox. Additionally, I’m going to have a few friends check on me.
  • I’ve decided to leave my credit card locked up in my drawer at work. And will use Eftpos if needed for my groceries. Of course, given that I know the number off by heart doesn’t help with the online shopping bit, but I have a plan there. Which is in the next point.
  • I am going to unsubscribe from the clothing stores including Forcast {I’m addicted to their stuff!}, Target and the Ebay stores I follow. That way I resist the temptation of that evil four letter word: SALE! {I’m a sucker for bargains!}
  • I am going to avoid Westfields as much as possible. And K-Mart at the local shopping centre.
  • Zita had suggested getting a new hobby…I am pretty busyΒ during the week and rarely shop but Β I realised that I shop online on the weekend. I’m going to aim to rent DVDs if I’m at home or read more blogs {given that I really need to catch up on a lot!} and work more on tweaking my blog design instead of checking out shops online.

I am hoping that this way I can save more money and pay off the credit cards. Once the cards are paid off, I’ll start putting away more money into my savings account with each pay towards another goal I have for myself for this year or at least next. And I’m also hoping that the thrill of shopping will wane. If this goes well, I will allow myself maybe one outfit or one pair of shoes a month only if needed. But will let myself buy more at end of financial year sales or boxing day sales as my reward.

So there you go. That’s the plan.

Now I have 2 days left to shop for more stuff! πŸ˜›

***Linking up with Jess and others over at IBOT. Because it’s a Tuesday!***

Smita
    February 26, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Good luck my dear!!! You can do it πŸ™‚

Think it like this, shop less now and treat yourself later πŸ™‚

March 2, 2013 at 11:19 pm

Yes I plan to Smita…we have great sales around June so if I can really do well until then, I can treat myself bug time!! πŸ™‚

R's Mom
    February 26, 2013 at 4:58 pm

ahahahah! you are the cutest PB :):) I swear πŸ™‚

Muah to you..and good luck

always josefa (@always_josefa)
    February 26, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Oh good luck! I reached a point last year where my online shopping was longer fun – but an addiction – cutting the cords for that was hard – but felt so good in the end!
    hope you stick to it!
    Josefa from #teamIBOT

March 3, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Yeah I think that’s where I was headed — an addiction — and it’s better to nip it in the bud before I reach a stage where I can’t even pay off my credit card! Thanks Josefa!!

redlandcitygirl
    February 26, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I did this once – went on a 40 day fast from shopping – just to see if I could! It was hard, but guess what, the world didn’t end and it really does make you become more of a thought-ful consumer. Good luck and I look forward to reading updates here!

March 3, 2013 at 1:53 pm

So good to hear that other people have tried and succeeded at it! Thanks for sharing and as you say, the world doesn’t end if we can’t shop!

Annaleis from Teapots and Tractors
    February 26, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Goodluck! I’m a terrible at giving things like this up. I fail everytime. I look forward to following your try!

March 3, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Welcome here Annaleis…I find that if I tell people to hold me accountable, I’m more successful at sticking to something. Whether it is giving something up or giving something a go…

Zita
    February 26, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Good on u!!! The first step is admiting the problem! And you’ve already thought of possible solutions!!! Being accountable is great as well, that’s why on the 12wbt they strongly advise us to tell as many people as we can that we are doing it so we are accountable!
    You got this!!!

March 3, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Haha Zita…I love that…”first step is admitting the problem”. Very AA…or should I say SA! πŸ˜› And the whole accountability thing I got from 12wbt! Thanks for the support!

February 27, 2013 at 2:52 am

πŸ™‚ Good luck!

EssentiallyJess
    February 27, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Good luck.
    I’ve been on a shopping detox due to Boatman not having a job for a while, and I’ve actually enjoyed it. Whilst I like shopping, I hate the feeling of spending money, so it’s nice to know I haven’t πŸ™‚

March 3, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Thanks Jess! My shopping binge started with household stuff after the end of my long term relationship. Then I lost weight and moved on to clothes. I think it’s about time I stop!!! πŸ˜› Because yes, as you say, it’s a great feeling initially but the feeling of spending money — not so great.

Nat
    February 28, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I’ll be checking on you!!! Detox starts tomorrow! Good luck.

March 3, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Thanks Nat!!! Really appreciate your support. I’ve been going well so far — 4 days and no clothes or shoe shopping! Fingers crossed x

babblingbandit
    February 28, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I need to join you in a shopping ban! No shopping for clothes, toys or eating out.

Good luck!

March 3, 2013 at 3:02 pm

We can do it together BB if you like! Do leave room for rewards though!

myprosperity: Helping me get my finances in order β€” Over Cups of Coffee
    July 31, 2013 at 8:45 pm

[…] I was spending on clothes. And sadly, had been putting those purchases on credit. Anyway, I had banned myself from shopping and it worked well. For a month or […]

myprosperity: Helping me get my finances in order - Living my Imperfect Life