Humour

5 valuable lessons I learnt from my parents

This is a sponsored post for Music Magpie.

Growing up with parents who were extremely neat and tidy {read: obsessive-compulsive!}, made for an interesting and often frustrating childhood. However, there was a lot of learning completed in the process. Not just how to clean the house and organise stuff. But more so, what NOT to do. I thought I might share some of those valuable gems with you.

{Click image for source}

Never ever attempt to dust and clean your kids’ room on a Sunday before 9 a.m.

Quite unlike my current 4 a.m. starts {6-7 on weekends}, I used to love my sleep-ins as a teenager. However, not my parents. No sirree. Sunday for them was thorough-cleaning-day. Sure they would sleep in till probably 6 or 7. And then come around to dust the furniture. Dad would come into our room to dust the computer, the desk, the wardrobe, the window sills and goodness knows what else. Needless to say, my sister and I would inevitably wake up during those cleaning spells. Which on some occasions involved dropping things and breaking stuff. Not a great way to start a Sunday!

Don’t move your kids’ items without their permission. Period.

I think the problem with super-clean, super-organised parents is that everything has a specific spot. Unfortunately, what they don’t realise is that sometimes things are not in their ‘proper’ place for a reason. Like using it pretty much straight away  Or to remind you of something. But no. They still think that the pile of papers stacked up in different sections on the dining table must be bunched together and put back on the study table. After all, the purpose of the dining table is to dine. True, your neurotic teenager will have an anxiety attack at her own organisation being disrupted but that’s a whole separate issue.

Being super-organised can sometimes be detrimental to your life

While my parents hoarded a lot of stuff {and I mean a lot!}, they turned out to be wonderfully organised in getting rid of stuff too. Unfortunately for them, some of it happened to be important documents. Like dad’s expired passport. Not realising they would need it later. So I learnt that sometimes it actually helps to hoard. And hoard. And hoard. To the point where I only shredded my payslips from my first job three years after quitting it. Pretty sure I don’t need it now. Or do I?

Dusting the furniture twice a day makes no sense whatsoever

My dad was an early riser {yes, I realise I take after him!}. And one of the things he would do after waking up at 5 in the morning was dust the furniture. Only for it to have dust settle back later in the morning following the house being swept. And then mum {or during school holidays, my sister or I} would have to dust it all over again. The joys. I never understood the point of the 5 a.m. dusting. I still don’t. And till today, it’s a chore I loathe. Sadly, with all the cat hair around, it’s not something I can avoid completely. No matter how hard I try. But I still don’t do it twice a day. Hell, twice a week would be a miracle!

And finally, the most valuable lesson:

If your kids help with the cleaning, do not criticise. Or you can kiss their help good-bye

My dad would complain that I never made the bed or ironed my clothes. So one day after waking up, I made the bed and folded the rug I’d used and was quite proud of myself. Only to get out of the bathroom 5 minutes later to see him re-folding the rug. Upon being questioned, he said that the tag at the corner of the rug should have been on the left side after folded and not the right {or the other way round…I honestly don’t care enough to remember!}. in other words, I had folded the rug ‘incorrectly’. {Who knew that was even possible!!!?}. Needless to say, stubborn me didn’t bother with that again and left him to make the bed his way. I only started making my bed after I left home. Where no one would tell me which end the bloody tag should face!

I love my parents. I really do. But stuff like this used to frustrate me no end. Especially on my dad’s part. The scary thing though is that I’m so much like him in many ways. Not as nutty perhaps but definitely heading there. Fortunately, I’m not too concerned about which end the tag of my doona faces!

So tell me, what things have you learnt NOT to do from your parents?

Do share!

***This is a sponsored post for Music Magpie. I you are looking at organising and cleaning your space, do check out their website to see how you can get cash for all your old stuff. It’s probably different from what your parents did! Because it’s a Tuesday, I’m also linking up with Jess and the others for IBOT***

iSophie
    March 12, 2013 at 7:28 am

That would have driven me batty too! I agree, if the kids are helping don’t criticise! Dusting twice is just silly! Dusting once a week.. well that is bad enough! #teamIBOT

iSophie
    March 12, 2013 at 7:28 am

Lisa @ Mummy's Undeserved Blessings
    March 12, 2013 at 7:44 am

Wow! They were super clean and organised. My house was always clean and tidy but my mum never organised the tupperware / plastic cupboard. She just opens the door and chucks it in. I try to rebel against my urges to do that and keep it tidy but sometimes it feels good to give in and chuck stuff in.

Lisa @ Mummy's Undeserved Blessings
    March 12, 2013 at 7:44 am

Rhianna
    March 12, 2013 at 8:13 am

Very valid lessons. I am so grateful to my children for any help they give there is just no way I would tell them they did it wrong. Mind you they are also safe from the early mornings because early morning cleaning and I are not friends
    Rhianna recently posted…How to make a ‘Pigs In Mud Cake’My Profile

Rhianna
    March 12, 2013 at 8:13 am

Rhianna recently posted…How to make a ‘Pigs In Mud Cake’My Profile

Amy@New Adventures
    March 12, 2013 at 10:04 am

My mum and I are pretty much like chalk and cheese but the best thing I learned from her is to make a shopping list and stick with it. It means saving ,money by not just grabbing things off the shelf that you probably don’t really need, and it means I have the stuff I need for each meal I’m making that week. Good work Mum!

Amy@New Adventures
    March 12, 2013 at 10:04 am

Kirsty @ My Home Truths
    March 12, 2013 at 10:09 am

I could not have coped in that household – cleaning just isn’t quite that important to me! I am in the process of getting my kids to help me out and I have had to stop myself from going back over and fixing things lest I hurt their feelings and stop them wanting to help out. It’s a fine balance sometimes!
    Kirsty @ My Home Truths recently posted…Why I Believe that Pinterest is the Work of the Devil!My Profile

Kirsty @ My Home Truths
    March 12, 2013 at 10:09 am

Emily @ Have a laugh on me
    March 12, 2013 at 10:57 am

My parents were/are the same and I have to say so was I until I had 3 kids in 3.5 years and tidiness is really a rare thing around here. In saying that my daughter is now being taught to pick up after herself because it will make her life easier down the track, and means she won’t lose as much stuff.
    I hate cleaning 🙂 Emily
    Emily @ Have a laugh on me recently posted…I’m coming out of the closet to admit I can cook – seriously – check out these puppies!My Profile

Emily @ Have a laugh on me
    March 12, 2013 at 10:57 am

I hate cleaning 🙂 Emily

redlandcitygirl
    March 12, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Oh my, that cartoon reminds me of my S-I-L! Those kids are SO going to need therapy when they grow up!
    redlandcitygirl recently posted…WIN a Family Pass to Room on the Broom!My Profile

redlandcitygirl
    March 12, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Julie
    March 12, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Yes, very valuable lessons. I probably can’t share many of my lessons from my parents, lest I be tracked here and incriminate myself. But, let’s just say I’m different to my parents in some significant ways! (and too much like them in other ways)
    Julie recently posted…Putting first things firstMy Profile

Julie
    March 12, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Julie recently posted…Putting first things firstMy Profile

Zanni, Heart Mama
    March 12, 2013 at 9:04 pm

My mum is very very tidy, and I am very very not. It’s been the bain of my existence. But I am staying in her house at the moment, while she is away and am trying to take a leaf out of her book. I find it very challenging! Zanni x
    Zanni, Heart Mama recently posted…Blogless: sleeping in separate bedsMy Profile

Zanni, Heart Mama
    March 12, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Zanni, Heart Mama recently posted…Blogless: sleeping in separate bedsMy Profile

EssentiallyJess
    March 12, 2013 at 9:13 pm

My mum was the exact opposite! She rarely cleaned (not that we lived in a cess pool), and I don’t think she would even notice what way the tag was facing.
    MIL on the other hand…. let’s just say I’m glad we don’t live with her
    EssentiallyJess recently posted…Turning AwesomeMy Profile

EssentiallyJess
    March 12, 2013 at 9:13 pm

MIL on the other hand…. let’s just say I’m glad we don’t live with her
    EssentiallyJess recently posted…Turning AwesomeMy Profile

Janet Dubac
    March 13, 2013 at 1:53 am

The 2 best things that I learned from my parents is that if you borrow something from someone, you should always give it back after you are done using it. Another thing is that if you want to use something that is not yours, always ask for permission from the owner and put it back to where it came from after using. I can still remember how furious my dad turns out when he can’t find his things on places where he usually puts them.
    Janet Dubac recently posted…Parenting Tip: Say What You Mean And Mean What You SayMy Profile

Janet Dubac
    March 13, 2013 at 1:53 am

Lazy Pineapple
    March 13, 2013 at 4:08 am

I am just like my mum when it comes to cleaning the kitchen and the loo. I am very fussy. I used to think she was nuts and now I am turning like her as I grow older 😛
    Lazy Pineapple recently posted…The Caption Contest ‘You think you are funny?’ is backMy Profile

Lazy Pineapple
    March 13, 2013 at 4:08 am

Lisa@RandomActsOfZen
    March 14, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Wow, dusting twice a day! My mum told me to make sure I always wear make-up every day. Any day now I’m going to start doing it LOL.
    Lisa@RandomActsOfZen recently posted…Book LoveMy Profile