Healthy Living

Women and Weights: A no-go zone at the gym

Image Source: Here

Image Source: Here

Ever since I first started working out back at the age of 20, I noticed a strange trend at gyms. Women would rarely work out in the weights section of the gym especially if there were blokes working out there. Back in India, there were special times allocated for just women at the gym between 11 in the morning till like 4 in the evening or something like that. When I was on holidays, I went between those times and there would be a few women working out with dumbbells and lifting weights. But most were still confined to the cardio equipment at the gym. Once I started uni and worked for a bit, well, I went to the gym early in the morning or after work and barring maybe one or two other women, there were mainly just men for company when it came to lifting weights. I put it down to Indians and the whole culture thing.

Fast forward to Australia almost a decade later.

A similar story repeats. I notice that unless women are with a trainer, they will rarely lift weights at the gym. In my last 6 to 8 months at the current gym, I only notice one other lady who will lift weights without a trainer like me. Even when the guys are working out.

And I can’t help but wonder: Why is that?

Why don’t women lift weights when there are men around? Why do they only feel they can enter the weights section with a personal trainer and not on the days they don’t have the trainer? The men at the gym are not intimidating in any way. Sure they lift heavier weights than us. But let’s face it, physically they are a lot bigger. In all my time working out, never has a guy said to me I shouldn’t be there.

Is it intimidating that there are guys around? Because trust me, they really don’t care.

Or is it just a worry that by lifting weights you become all blokey and muscly? Because FYI, you don’t! We don’t have enough testosterone to bulk up like men!

I guess I just started thinking about this even more when I was chatting to the previously mentioned lady at the gym the other day…she had been very excited when she saw me working out in the weights section as for almost 2 years, she had been the only woman there. And we both wondered out loud why women wouldn’t work out with weights on their own. And agreed that it gave us a better high than cardio.

So, if you are a woman who goes to the gym but thinks the weights section is off-limits, please tell me why.

I’m curious. Honestly.

April 5, 2013 at 2:06 am

I mostly do cardio (whenever I go, that is) and seldom do any weights, except when there’s maybe a weight group class or something going on. This is mainly because I am ignorant when it comes to the whole weight lifting thing. I did it once way back when and pulled a muscle because my posture wasn’t right and that ended up putting me off, I think. So my two options now are that I either learn to do it the right way or just do weights when there are group classes that are offered around that. It definitely has nothing to do with intimidation. 🙂

April 5, 2013 at 2:06 am

Tuhina Mahan
    April 5, 2013 at 4:59 am

I do very light weights (max 2 kgs) due to back problem. Any time I have tried anything heavier, I have ended in bed for a month at least so I can not work with weights although I would love to. Simply because you can sculpt your body more effectively using weights. I just do more repetitions with less weight. I envy anyone who can exercise with more than 5kg weight. If I hadn’t had back trouble, you wold have definitely found me in the weight area. I think it is far more effective way to exercise than cardio.
    Tuhina Mahan recently posted…Tag: Eye CandyMy Profile

Tuhina Mahan
    April 5, 2013 at 4:59 am

Tuhina Mahan recently posted…Tag: Eye CandyMy Profile

ns
    April 5, 2013 at 5:39 am

I can totally relate to this. I hated the weights section too. I would feel silly and embarrassed and awkward and felt that everyone´s eyes were on me. I think theres just a strong perception around that weights is a guys thing..
    ns recently posted…Me, The Kitchen QueenMy Profile

ns
    April 5, 2013 at 5:39 am

ns recently posted…Me, The Kitchen QueenMy Profile

Nish
    April 5, 2013 at 8:59 pm

I used to love doing weights, I felt very strong and powerful BUT I bulked up, which was not a look I wanted. I tried explaining to the trainer and he gave the standard spiel … women don’t bulk up blah blah blah, and he was extremely condescending to boot.

I’ve stopped doing weights and I am much happier with my fitness levels. I do a combo of running, swimming, and spinning, and feel in much better shape.
    Nish recently posted…Mailbox Mondays: April 1, 2013My Profile

Nish
    April 5, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Nish recently posted…Mailbox Mondays: April 1, 2013My Profile

jake
    April 7, 2013 at 8:46 am

It could because of one or other among the numerous reasons you
    have mentioned above.

I think it has a lot to do with the media also,
    guys are expected to be ripped and muscular and
    have to compete with the likes of stallone and
    hemsworth. Where as for women the media seems
    to obsess more on the a slim slender figure.

Its really unfair and not at all healthy considering
    most of these celebs have way too much time on
    their hands and can afford to invest 3 hours
    a day into training and sleep for 10 hours to get
    a proper recovery. The price to pay for free market
    capitalism I guess , sigh.

jake
    April 7, 2013 at 8:46 am

It could because of one or other among the numerous reasons you
    have mentioned above.

I think it has a lot to do with the media also,
    guys are expected to be ripped and muscular and
    have to compete with the likes of stallone and
    hemsworth. Where as for women the media seems
    to obsess more on the a slim slender figure.

Its really unfair and not at all healthy considering
    most of these celebs have way too much time on
    their hands and can afford to invest 3 hours
    a day into training and sleep for 10 hours to get
    a proper recovery. The price to pay for free market
    capitalism I guess , sigh.