Those dreadful numbers

To place my destiny
In digits like these

It offers comfort
And control
To do something twice
Not once, nor more

(c) Sanch – Living my Imperfect Life (2014)

photo credit: tubb via photopin cc

17 Comments

1. Bikram

July 23, 2014 at 1:55 am

hmmm true .. I sit down to find six digits to put a lottery and cant find which one to choose , os i giuve up

no wonder i have not won a lottery ever 🙂

Bikram’s
    Bikram recently posted…AdmireMy Profile

2. Tina

July 23, 2014 at 4:50 am

A glimpse of OCD, perhaps? I guess that we all for little rituals to help us get through the day. Well done!
    Tina recently posted…Self AwarenessMy Profile

3. Jennifer Knoblock

July 24, 2014 at 1:13 am

Ah, and so clever how you’ve balanced your phrases in twos: even, not odd; comfort and control; not once, nor more. Love the very rational voice in this.
    Jennifer Knoblock recently posted…Too Often, FearMy Profile

4. Meg

July 24, 2014 at 7:47 am

To echo Jennifer’s comment, I also love the very rational tone in this. You so neatly reproduce the anxiety of anxiety disorders, like OCD. (I used to have an irrational fear that I would drive straight into a truck, so much that I was convinced that I would make myself do it.) The tight phrasing here evokes that need for control. Nicely done!
    Meg recently posted…Shining ArmorMy Profile

5. Swathi Shenoy

July 24, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I have felt it too! Wanting the numbers to be even not odd, always! Don’t know why it irritates me but it does!
    Swathi Shenoy recently posted…Two Faced People – A Puente PoemMy Profile

6. Suzy

July 24, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Luckily I don’t have that need but I can see how it would drive someone crazy if the odd numbers showed up.
    Suzy recently posted…UBC Jul 23 – Crossing BridgesMy Profile

1. Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life

July 24, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Yep…or the other way around. A client of mine has great difficulty with even numbers…

7. Shailaja V

July 24, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Oh you share my OCD 😀 Especially when I am walking down the stairs, counting birds, I always have to end on an even number and a round one is even better 😉 Lovely picture too, Sanch!
    Shailaja V recently posted…Gratitude in a TinMy Profile

1. Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life

July 24, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Haha…I must admit I don’t count as much. It was based a bit on a client with OCD but they have odd numbers as ‘good’ numbers. I do like my volume on the TV or stereo to be an even number or else a multiple of 5. That’s my OCD.! 😀

8. Shalini

July 24, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Unfortunately, I go for odd! 😛 I keep picking up “Gems” chocolate till I get an odd number-~~
    Shalini recently posted…Black Beauty #WhatTheBlackMy Profile

1. Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life

July 24, 2014 at 11:32 pm

I have a client at the moment with OCD who goes for odd numbers. The only odd numbers I like are 5s… 🙂

9. that cynking feeling

July 25, 2014 at 1:15 am

I’ve been reading through the comments, so I know that you personally don’t have OCD. Yet, the voice in this was so believable, I thought you were sharing a glimpse into your own experience. Well done.
    that cynking feeling recently posted…Flipping his lidMy Profile

10. Esther

July 25, 2014 at 1:35 am

This is a lovely little sentiment about superstition/OCD. I’ve shared this experience. How wonderful that you are so sensitive to your client’s issue.
    Esther recently posted…Letters — Yeah Write #171 gargleblasterMy Profile

11. Nate

July 25, 2014 at 7:27 am

I liked the double meaning of “not odd” – the literal sense of the numbers but also the idea that the narrator didn’t want to be thought of as odd. Nice work!

12. Aditi

July 25, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Cute verses…what got you yo write this? 🙂
    Aditi recently posted…Live in GratitudeMy Profile

1. Sanch @ Living my Imperfect Life

July 30, 2014 at 5:21 am

Thanks Aditi…I’m currently working with a client with OCD who has a thing about numbers. And I personally prefer even numbers and multiples of 5 over odd! :p