Alone

sunset-401541_640

Born into a world of seven billion
I see the faces shining at me
At some point I’ll start to name ‘em
My brother, sister, mum and daddy

Few sets of grandparents,
Cousins, uncles and aunts too
All gush and bend over me
Making sounds akin to a coo

I soon go to day care
Where I meet other toddlers few
Our mums have play dates for us
We try to form friendships new

At school I’m left to my own devices
When it comes to making friends again
I try my luck with the girls and boys
With a confidence that I feign

I’m lucky over the next few years
I have a group to hang around
But something doesn’t feel quite right
And soon we’ve hit rocky ground

I meet other kids at sports and parties
At my music and dance lessons as well
We all manage to become friendly
But it seems to be superficial as hell

In my teens I try to find myself
Losing friends but keeping a few
I’ve been too forthright and outspoken
Leading old friends to change their view

I leave home as a young adult
I want to stretch my wings and soar
The one thing that frightens me though
Is having to start over once more

In a new country I start again
Trying hard to find my feet
Figuring out how things work
And new people I try to meet

I manage to get a decent job
And have a home that is my own
More important are the friends I make
As with family, I only connect on phone

Life though, gets in the way
And even when friends are family you choose
When statuses change and relationships grow
Some friends I keep but others I slowly lose

In the end, I realise one thing is true
No matter how many people we call our own
We can only truly depend on ourselves
As in this busy bustling world, we are but, alone

(c) Sanch Vee @ Sanch Writes
(11 May 2015)

***Linking with Alicia for Open Slather and Kirsty for I must Confess***

14 Comments

1. Ingrid @ Fabulous and Fun Life

May 11, 2015 at 10:11 am

Friendships do seem to go through cycles and I’ve found true friendships are a lot harder to develop as an adult although I have started to develop some new friendships through blogging. It must be hard not having your family close by. I hope you’re feeling better soon.
    Ingrid @ Fabulous and Fun Life recently posted…Monday Makeup Madness #5 Link Up PartyMy Profile

2. Julie Vaillancourt

May 11, 2015 at 11:52 am

Love your post. So deep and so true. I can totally relate to this. Being in a world bustling with people everywhere, on the street, in our workplaces and in our neighbourhoods, can be so lonely. I love that you have shared something so many of us live through, especially through adulthood. Of course we have some conversations with colleagues or online conversations with friends or both. But people today are sooo busy! We don’t take as much time to cultivate our friendships or our sense of community. We all have obligations and places to rush to.. Thanks for saying out loud what some of us are thinking to ourselves, whether we have a Mr. Imperfect or whether we’re flying solo.

3. Caroline @ Mamma Raj Says

May 11, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Wow. You are so clever to put this together. Poetry is certainly not my forte! I agree with Ingrid that it is amazing the cycles of life and friendships seems to reflect each stage. Only very few last the course

4. Lillian Csernica

May 11, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Wonderful poem. You’ve touched on every stage of life. I agree with your thinking. It seems like all of the most significant achievements of my life I have accomplished on my own, by myself. I hope that doesn’t sound arrogant. In the end it’s you and you, right?
    Lillian Csernica recently posted…Mom’s Official Day OffMy Profile

5. simple girl

May 11, 2015 at 2:40 pm

I have come to understood that I am the only one whom I can depend on.
    I am completely alone in my journey whatsoever others around me want to believe.
    I am trying to accept it and rebuild myself around this notion.
    At best I can pay somebody to talk to me no judgementally .

6. elly stornebrink

May 11, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Friendships can certainly come and go – for me that has certainly been the case ALL my life and yes, sometimes it does get lonely. I have realized though I can always make new friends and always seem to. Thanks to blogging in part, I have a new community of friends that feel like family and I hope that may be true for you too to provide you with some much-needed hugs, albeit virtual, during your down time. Remember that this shall pass in time, though hopefully soon. Take care Sanch and if anything, I hope you look forward to your upcoming vacation, soon right. I’ll see you then! 🙂 <3
    elly stornebrink recently posted…Gratitude List #4: Mothers etc.My Profile

7. Natalie @ Our Parallel Connection

May 11, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Sanch that was beautiful… just wake every day and say to yourself – I can start again today – no one has to know.
    Natalie @ Our Parallel Connection recently posted…The role of a mother – 12 top roles a mother performs everydayMy Profile

8. Pooja Sharma Rao

May 12, 2015 at 12:58 am

You have elaborated on such a basic fact of life so beautifully and poetically
    Pooja Sharma Rao recently posted…My Mom’s FeminismMy Profile

9. Parul

May 12, 2015 at 1:31 am

Wow! This one is so good Sanch and I totally loved it..
    I agree with you on each word – in the end the most honest company we keep is our own self 🙂
    And that’s what I will tell you as a blogger friend – tough times will pass, just never lose hope.. know that every night will have a day that will follow..What will matter most is how to choose to react..Sorry for being preachy but of all days, today I am feeling a little low and may be writing to you is my way to feel better and help you feel better. 🙂
    Happy week ahead! Hugs!!
    Parul recently posted…#MicroblogMondays – A VoidMy Profile

10. Kirsty @ My Home Truths

May 12, 2015 at 11:40 am

Your words really resonated with me Sanch. I hold on to the belief that as long as I am true to myself and don’t lose myself to anyone (or anything) else, that I will be okay. For many years I was alone and I never forget how I felt in that time or how much I relied on myself – I never take anything for granted x
    Kirsty @ My Home Truths recently posted…Family Holiday A to Z: Quiet TimeMy Profile

11. Alicia

May 12, 2015 at 8:42 pm

I have had so many friends come and go. I have never really had one or a group of friends that I still see regularly. With joining the community garden, I have a whole new set of people I am interacting with in my community. I think this is key, keeping active in the community and just interacting with other people.

12. Nibha

May 13, 2015 at 4:55 am

I just loved your poem. It so wonderfully reflects life.. and yes it goes on even when people we love so much come and go.. I hope you are out of those thoughts now, which surround everyone of us now and then!
    Nibha recently posted…Goodbye, Until I Visit Again- #DelhiDiaryMy Profile

13. Kaddu

May 13, 2015 at 11:33 pm

That’s true. Life is like that. People come and go. Some of us are more sensitive than others and we can make out superficial relationships and realize that they don’t make us that happy, they don’t add that “meaning” we are looking for in life. And then we move on, and continue in or search for that elusive meaning.
    What I have learned is that people come in our lives when they are needed and they go when their work is done. Other people come then.
    So hurry up and shake this mood off! I’m missing you on my blog! 🙁
    Kaddu recently posted…Snakes & Ladders for AndroidMy Profile

14. Eli

May 14, 2015 at 6:16 am

That was a great poem, I enjoyed reading that, and I think life is like that- friends come and go- some stay for life, some just for a short time. And thats ok… I could so relate to your “in a new country I start again” …. that can be hard. Hard to make new friends that are “our people” and then hard when you have to leave or they leave… I believe all people come into our life for a reason… – Big hugs to you
    Eli recently posted…Eggs bhurji – recipeMy Profile