Writing

Signing up for my first #NaNoWriMo

I have officially completed my graduate diploma in Creative Writing. Although I haven’t received the certificate yet, it’s a done deal as I’ve finished all my assignments and handed the last one in on Wednesday this week. It feels great completing the course and I learnt a lot. But now is the scary part: to try and put all that learning, including what I learnt in the magazine writing courses from the Writers’ Centre, into practice.

The best way to begin, I figured, would be to jump straight in.

It’s therefore almost perfect that November is almost upon us as it means NaNoWriMo is about to start. I have never done NaNoWriMo before but have seen other writers and bloggers do it. I used to prefer NaBloPoMo. But given that I’ve been brimming with ideas and not done much about them, I figured this would be a good place to start. Even if it doesn’t amount to anything, at least I’ll have more words in the end than I have now.

What is NaNoWriMo? It stands for National Novel Writing Month. A community of writers aim to complete 50,000 words this month. It’s quite obviously not the length of an entire novel but it’s a way to get into it.

What am I aiming for? I don’t have big goals. I don’t think I’m going to be published anytime soon. I just want to write and get my ideas on paper in a structured manner and then assess what it looks like. I am also aiming to hone my writing skills and then, my editing skills.

What am I hoping for? I guess while I don’t have big goals, I am hoping that I get a somewhat decent story that I can work on in the next decade or so. In any case, it will still be 50,000 more words than I currently have. Or have ever had for that matter!

Since I’m a complete novice in this area, there are some other posts I’ve read about NaNoWriMo to help inspire you to participate:

Jodi talks about reasons why you should dive into NaNoWriMo

Allison shares authors’ views about whether you should plot or not

The Grammarly blog shared a post on how you can prepare for writing a novel

Jess shared her experience from last year

K. M. Weiland discusses how NaNoWriMo helps you become a better writer throughout the year

And in case you were wondering whether to take the plunge, Elizabeth Haynes discusses why it’s worth a try

If these posts don’t motivate you, the fact that several writers tweeting #NaNoWriMo and pulling their hair out certainly should! Or else, just to keep a friend company while going through the same. If you want to add me as a writing buddy, please do so. I’d like the company.

So tell me, are you participating in NaNoWriMo this year?

Do share!

***Linking with Grace for FYBF and with Jess, Karin, Sam and Shannon for The Ultimate Rabbit Hole***

SANCH_sig1

simple girl
    October 29, 2015 at 7:28 pm

All the best Sanch.. You will surely become 50000 words richer… 🙂

Vidya Sury
    October 30, 2015 at 1:08 am

Congratulations, Sanch! How wonderful it must feel!
    And what a way to celebrate but jumping right into NaNoWriMo. This is my fourth year and I am looking forward to it.

All the best! Love, Vidya
    Vidya Sury recently posted…Inhaling Love Exhaling GratitudeMy Profile

Amy @ HandbagMafia
    October 30, 2015 at 6:50 am

Too daunting for me at this stage but I can’t wait to read your work if you choose to share!
    Amy @ HandbagMafia recently posted…Robbie Williams, Russell Brand & Mr GeeMy Profile

Vanessa
    October 30, 2015 at 8:17 am

Maybe…I want to but I feel lost at the thought of doing it without a laptop. I also don’t know if I will try to do it as a fiction book or use it to go “off book” and write another book I’ve had in my head for ages.
    Vanessa recently posted…$165 Grocery ShopMy Profile

Deborah
    October 30, 2015 at 12:26 pm

I’m doing it again as well. I’ve tried it a couple of times but really only seriously last year and ‘won’. Of course I’ve done nothing with the 50,000 words I wrote then, but still….

I’m thinking of doing it this year but don’t yet have a plot in mind… and I only have a day or two left! #eek!
    Deborah recently posted…The fragility of habitsMy Profile

Venice
    October 30, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Oooh! Would love to read a novel by you! 🙂 All the best Sanch! Cheers 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Venice recently posted…The Inheritance of A-aa-aaa—choooo!My Profile

Debbie
    October 30, 2015 at 9:51 pm

I need to find some online course on creative writing. They have some here, but writing in Dutch is not my specialty and I want to improve my English.
    I’m attending other courses at the moment and hopeful I will have some time later in 2016.
    Lots of success with NaNoWriMo!
    Debbie recently posted…How To Hack Your Lifestyle For Mindfulness With NutritionMy Profile

Aditi
    October 31, 2015 at 12:15 am

Congratulations on the writing course! And all the best for Nano. I am doing it this year, would love to buddy up. Honest confession, I’m really nervous. I tried in 2013 and fell flat. I am going this time with a story in head bit no plotting as such. Hoping for the best!

Parul
    November 1, 2015 at 1:30 am

All the best! I am taking up NaBloPoMo and you were right – they announced very recently and I have my sleeves rolled up! 🙂
    Parul recently posted…Gratitude List – October 2015My Profile

Obsessivemom
    November 1, 2015 at 3:39 am

Hey good luck Sanch. I’m a bit envious of you – not for the NaNoWriMo but for that course in creative writing. Would love to get into one some day.
    Obsessivemom recently posted…Memories and random ramblingsMy Profile

10 things that made me happy {Week 9} - Living my Imperfect Life
    November 1, 2015 at 4:44 pm

[…] Final week at uni. Yes, I handed in my final assignment and finished my course […]