Life lessons

My biggest strength #MondayMusings

For a lot of us, judging ourselves harshly comes easy. We are capable of rattling off 10 weaknesses or flaws over a single strength or positive attribute. Sure, we can blame media and experiences on how we think about ourselves but at the end of the day, if we want to view ourselves in a better light, we have to make the effort and mindfully choose to do so.

In the spirit of focussing on the positive and attempting to be kind to myself, I decided to take a look at my biggest strength. If I am honest, I do have a fair few strengths which have probably got me to where I am today. I am a bloody hard worker and conscientious to the boot {my previous managers and lecturers can testify to that}. I am quite responsible and independent. Being kind and helpful are values and strengths of mine. But if I had to choose my biggest strength, the one that has seen me through over these 32 years, it has to be my bravery.

Bravery to me, is not about not being scared. It is about being scared but still giving things a go. My life has been all about that for decades.

It is interesting that bravery is the strength of someone who is an anxious person; someone who used to potentially suffer from separation anxiety as a child and later, social and performance anxiety and finally, generalised anxiety {all my own diagnoses!}.

But if it wasn’t for me being brave, I would never have overcome my separation anxiety. I would never have faced my fear of public speaking resulting in me speaking reasonably confidently to parents and health professionals alike. If it wasn’t for me being brave, I would never have left home at 21 to move to a whole different country all by myself. This, at a time when I still wasn’t the most confident socially. It’s bravery that has made me speak my mind even though I may cop flak for it and lose friends. Bravery has made me step outside my comfort zone and explore new hobbies, meet new people and set up a new life in a new country. Bravery is what helps me move to new jobs in spite of being comfortable in one. Sometimes, bravery is what helps me face a new day. It takes courage to get out of bed when all you want to do is sleep. It takes courage to go seek help. Bravery was leaving a relationship that had died and had no future even though it was a bloody scary thing to do. Bravery is facing life.

I may not be brave all the time but I am trying my hardest to do so.

After all, what’s the worst that can happen?

What is your biggest strength?

Do share!

I’m co-hosting this week’s Monday Musings with Corinne. #MondayMusings has now officially shifted over from Write Tribe to Everyday Gyaan.

Would you like to take part in #MondayMusings? Here’s how it works:

• Write a post sharing your thoughts with us – happy, sad, philosophical, ‘silly’ even. Make it as personal as possible.
  • Use the hashtag #MondayMusings.
  • Add your link to the linky which you will find on Everyday Gyaan and on the post of a co-host {which is yours truly this week!}
  • Use our #MondayMusings badge to encourage other bloggers join in too.
  • Visit and comment on the posts of other bloggers linked here.
  • Share the love.
#MondayMusings

***Also linking up with Kirsty for I must confess and Alicia for Open Slather***

SANCH_sig1

Love Enough To Be Honest #MondayMusings - Everyday Gyaan
    January 25, 2016 at 6:39 pm

[…] am happy to co-host today’s #MondayMusings with Sanch of Living My Imperfect Life. Please visit and comment on her post […]

Janet aka Middle Aged Mama
    January 25, 2016 at 6:43 pm

I take my hat off to you Sanch, I do think it was incredibly brave for you to move to another country in particular x
    Janet aka Middle Aged Mama recently posted…Sacked By My Hairdresser!My Profile

Parul
    January 25, 2016 at 6:51 pm

What a fabulous post Sanch and I am so proud of you, reading this post. Sometimes, it is bravery that I lack and reading your post made me think why can’t I be brave? Thank you for getting me feel this!
    You are right about how harshly we judge ourselves. How we stop leveraging our strengths and how we quickly think of ourselves as of no good. Great post and I am back to re-reading it again!
    Parul recently posted…It was 19th December, 2005..My Profile

Sreesha
    January 25, 2016 at 7:05 pm

What a fantastic post! It made me think, what if I had been brave enough to set out and do a few things of my own. Made me wish I was more like you! Brave like you 🙂 🙂
    Sreesha recently posted…Seriously… I’m Kidding, by Ellen DeGeneresMy Profile

Vasantha Vivek
    January 25, 2016 at 7:11 pm

I would also love to be brave always ….. but life forces me not to be brave at times …… 🙁

Natalie @ our parallel connection
    January 25, 2016 at 7:44 pm

I never thought of bravery like this but you are absolutely correct. Life gives you a challenger and it is often the way to confront these challenges that makes you story real .
    Natalie @ our parallel connection recently posted…It’s time to let go – positive energyMy Profile

Raychael aka Mystery Case
    January 25, 2016 at 8:40 pm

You are such an inspiration.
    Raychael aka Mystery Case recently posted…My Top 5 Places to Go for InspirationMy Profile

Denyse Whelan Blogs
    January 25, 2016 at 9:04 pm

I loved your interpretation of bravery and I can apply it to some of the risks I have needed to take to bring myself out of the scared and anxious mood I was often in (and still occurs) since early 2015. Great insights Sanch. Thank you
    Denyse Whelan Blogs recently posted…Our 45th Wedding Anniversary. 366/25.My Profile

Kirsty @ My Home Truths
    January 25, 2016 at 10:21 pm

Sanch you are brave in so many ways. And I really like that you define bravery as not being fearless but in doing something in spite of your fear. May you continue to live bravely into the future!
    Kirsty @ My Home Truths recently posted…I must confess…my biggest strengthMy Profile

Corinne Rodrigues
    January 25, 2016 at 10:37 pm

More power to you, Sanch. I do admire you for the life you’ve created for yourself. You ARE brave! ♥

Tegan
    January 25, 2016 at 11:38 pm

You have overcome so much to be where you are today and that is so awesome. You’re definitely one brave woman!
    Tegan recently posted…It’s all in the mindMy Profile

Mahathi Ramya
    January 26, 2016 at 12:24 am

Rightly said Sanch. Bravery is facing life.
    My biggest strength is not to panic and think calmly in tough situations.
    Mahathi Ramya recently posted…Shadow of the dark soul by Sukhmani Gandhi – Book ReviewMy Profile

Shilpa Garg
    January 26, 2016 at 3:00 am

Wow! You go, girl!! That’s an inspiring post and also gave me something to ponder on. Thank you ♥
    Shilpa Garg recently posted…Writing Without the MuseMy Profile

Beat About the Book
    January 26, 2016 at 3:55 am

You’re one brave girl – honest self-analysis is the bravest thing of all – it is just as hard to give yourself credit for something as it is to admit your weaknesses. May your bravery take you places Sanch.
    Beat About the Book recently posted…How do you maintain your TBR list?My Profile

Alicia
    January 26, 2016 at 11:28 pm

Courageous is one of the things I am trying to push myself in this year. Less of talking myself out of situations and more just being brave and going for it.
    YOU are one amazing lady xx
    Alicia recently posted…Miguel’s ‘Rustic Zucchini Roast’My Profile

Shantala
    January 27, 2016 at 3:12 am

Such a fabulous post this is, Sanch. You truly have been very brave. Bravery has not been one of my strengths, but I am getting there. I know I am. However, I would count compassion as one of my biggest strengths. 🙂
    Shantala recently posted…The Trouble with Rating Books | Diary of a Book BloggerMy Profile

Esha
    January 27, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Wonderful post, Sanch! You are one incredibly brave woman and an inspiration to so many of us who think about being brave and struggle within (myself!) Way to go! More strength and power to you (y)

Zita
    January 27, 2016 at 5:55 pm

I never think of being brave as one of my strengths but so many people tell me how brave they think I am. I don’t see it as being brave, I see it more as doing what I need to do to get what I want (talking about quitting my job and travelling mostly here). In my recent job interview (still not over not getting it) I was told my strengths of being caring and compassionate could also be seen as a weakness….

Sid
    January 27, 2016 at 8:31 pm

Sanch,
    Whatever little I know about you, they’re from these little nuggets of info that you give out through your posts and I must say – Respect!
    I left home at 18, so I know very well about all the nervousness (and jitteriness) that these things bring.
    I also love the way that you term the definition of being brave as : ‘Bravery to me, is not about not being scared. It is about being scared but still giving things a go’. A lot of us could use that definition.

Always a pleasure to read your posts and though I may not comment much, I do stop by often. Hopefully, we’ll meet someday too.
    Sid recently posted…Me time : When’s yours?My Profile

Lori Carlson
    February 2, 2016 at 1:39 am

Wonderful and inspiring post, Sanch! I’ve had periods of bravery in my life and others where I allowed myself to be devoured by self-doubt and anxiety. I have to admit, I prefer the *brave* me to the *anxious* me. I guess my greatest strength is that of a mediator. I can always see all sides of a situation and help others to see my point of view.

#Mondaymusings-Lets talk about mental health on #Bellletstalkday | Jsack's Mom's Blog
    December 1, 2016 at 1:33 am

[…] Add your link to the linky which you will find either here and on the post of a co-host. Today’s co-hosts are Everyday Gyaan and Living My Imperfect Life […]