Lost at sea

lostatsea

She sits on the wall next to the raging ocean. For a moment she stares at the ocean, the waves slapping against the same wall. Within minutes, she turns away and ignores the call of the water. Jacket off, she slouches forward, the weight of the world on her shoulders. Her hazel eyes are empty as she averts them from passers by. It doesn’t matter; no one wants to make eye contact. She exudes sorrow. Despair, even. People walk past her hurriedly as if she could contagious.

It doesn’t bother her. Nothing does anymore. It seems trivial to worry about things like this.

She watches the wild seas again wondering what it must be like in there. She pictures herself walking in. Further and further until she is nothing but a speck on the horizon. Of course, she could never do that. Not after she knows the pain it causes. Because no one talks about the ones left behind. The pain they — people like her — face. She couldn’t do that to her children.

From the depths of her jacket, she pulls out a flower. The once yellow flower is now withered and old. But she preserves it. Holds on to it. It’s all she has.

It’s been five years. Five years since the man she loved walked into the ocean never to return again. Five years on, her face is etched with worried lines. Five years on, she has aged almost a decade. Friends have gone, family is holding on. But truth be told, they lost her when she lost everything.

Without wading in, she too has been lost at sea.

(c) Sanch Vee @ Sanch Writes (3 May 2016)

***Linking with Jess for IBOT***

1. Dani @ sand has no home

May 3, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Sanch, I love this SO much. I long to hear the rest of the story and my heart aches for her and the grief that she has endured.

2. Denyse Whelan Blogs

May 3, 2016 at 4:09 pm

My goodness. Heart-stopping. Sharing the pain of this woman as I read. Denyse #teamIBOT

3. Nabanita Dhar

May 3, 2016 at 4:41 pm

This is so poignant and powerful…Sometimes when one life ends with it ends more lives as well…Sad but true

4. Deborah

May 3, 2016 at 4:46 pm

Great piece Sanch! I (currently) live opposite the ocean and often ponder its depths and darkness!
    Deborah recently posted…A million times happierMy Profile

5. Roshan Radhakrishnan

May 3, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Wow… as someone who drops by regularly for over a year now, I must say this is one of your most heartfelt and easily one of the best articles I’ve read… so much soul and emotion in this.
    Roshan Radhakrishnan recently posted…Everything you Need to Know about Captain America: Civil War before entering the theatreMy Profile

6. Vinitha

May 4, 2016 at 2:43 am

Beautifully weaved, sad though!

7. Parul Thakur

May 5, 2016 at 12:28 am

That’s a sad one and makes me feel how much are lives are all woven together. Well narrated Sanch.
    Parul Thakur recently posted…DirectionMy Profile

8. Shailaja Vishwanath

May 5, 2016 at 12:31 am

Oh my, that last line. Such a punch in the gut. I know what you mean when it feels like everything ends when a loved one leaves us. Sigh, eloquently said.
    Shailaja Vishwanath recently posted…What will your eulogy say?My Profile

9. Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710

May 5, 2016 at 3:01 am

This is something that most of us tend to ignore or not think about when we write about the husband of the lady in your story. The lives of the ones who stay behind are often forgotten. Great story 👍

10. Sid

May 7, 2016 at 3:15 pm

Very eloquent, Sanch. Bravo.
    It’s true what they say about death isn’t it? The one’s who are left behind are the ones that suffer more.
    Sid recently posted…From the ashesMy Profile

Comments are closed.