Longing for summer

summer

The mornings are the hardest. All I want to do is snuggle deeper into the covers hoping it will engulf me with its warmth. Alas! Life beckons and with it, the responsibilities of adulthood. Ten more minutes could mean running late for the train later that morning. Or worse, missing that class at the gym in half-an-hour.

Winter mornings are like that.

I struggle to get going and even the morning coffee and gym class is not enough to pep me up. I blame it on the darkness. The black skies greet me when I leave home in the morning. The same dark skies await me when I return from work. It’s a sad existence when the only time you greet the sun is during your brief lunch break.

While the northern hemisphere celebrates the summer solstice, those of us in the southern hemisphere have the shortest day to look forward to. One where the sun rises on your way to work and sets even before you are done for the day.

The biting cold, the chilly winds all make me want to tighten my scarf around my neck. I huddle into the layers of my jacket which somehow, never feels warm enough. My nose freezes, reminding me of Rudolph. And of course, with winter comes the dreaded sniffles and sore throats.

I long for summer days — almost six months away but never too far in my mind. Days when the sun wakes me early and there’s a spring in my step even at five in the morning. The snooze button on the clock gets neglected. There is time after work to visit the golden sands and swim in the sea. Long walks and ice-creams, time spent outdoors. And light. Just the bright light of Mother Nature late into the evening is enough to lift the spirits. Blue skies. Warm winds. The sun in my face.

Summer reminds me of childhood. Carefree and casual. Laid-back and relaxed. Bright and bubbly. Somehow, responsibilities are erased or at least, don’t seem as huge as they do in the winter months. The darkness of winter casts a shadow. It makes one dreary and down.

I yearn for the days when the sun shines so I can skip along the sandy shores again.

(c) Sanch Vee @ Sanch Writes (21st June 2016)

Inspired by the Daily Post Prompt: Summer

1. Soumya

June 21, 2016 at 10:45 pm

I hope summer comes in soon and you feel all charged up again.

Until then snuggle up to your kitties and feel the love 🙂
    Soumya recently posted…Love At Every SightMy Profile

1. Sanch, the writer

June 22, 2016 at 8:59 pm

Haha…yes, it’s all too enticing to snuggle up with them!

2. Ngobesing Romanus

June 21, 2016 at 11:27 pm

I think we know the value of a blessing when we experience the opposite of it. Summer is most appreciated by those who know winter.

1. Sanch, the writer

June 22, 2016 at 8:58 pm

I know a lot of people complain about summer but not me…especially not in the last decade! 🙂

3. Kaddu

June 23, 2016 at 5:36 pm

I hear you, Sanch. Winters can get really drab after a while. Same old greys and blacks all around. Not a hint of the Sun. It’s not so bad here in Jaipur though. We get plenty of sunshine even in the winters, except for a few very foggy days. I’m fed up of the summers now. Rains are late in my part of the country! 🙁
    Kaddu recently posted…A to Z of Me: 26 Things About MeMy Profile

4. Corinne

June 25, 2016 at 8:56 pm

My aunt called from Melbourne today and was complaining of how cold it is. We hardly have a winter to speak of, but I always prefer summer and all the lovely memories that come with it.

1. Sanch, the writer

June 27, 2016 at 9:30 pm

I know right…I used to love winters in Bombay. Autumn over here is probably the equivalent of Bombay winters.

5. Parul Thakur

June 26, 2016 at 11:50 pm

I like winters but I haven’t experienced the harsh ones like you have to brave. May the Sun shines stronger or you very soon! Till then, stay warm, have soup, walk all covered up and get snuggles 🙂
    Parul Thakur recently posted…The Other Side of HampiMy Profile

1. Sanch, the writer

June 27, 2016 at 9:29 pm

I used to love winter when I was in India — here, not at all! To be fair, it’s worse in the northern hemisphere and in states like Tasmania but still, I cannot handle 8 degrees!

Comments are closed.