Humour

Capricorn reflections #FridayReflections

When I was a teenager, I came across a book a friend had – Linda Goodman’s sun signs. Astrology has always been a laugh for me so I read it with interest. I turned to the chapter on my own sun sign – Capricorn. Her chapters were divided into knowing the man, woman, lover, child, boss etc. At that age, I turned to the Capricorn child. One line from that still stands out to me. It was something about the Capricorn child being one who went to the potty at the same time every day {give or take a few minutes}. That was so me! A lover of routine, I was that child. Back then, I did see a lot of myself in the Capricorn child. I no longer have that book but there are several websites on astrology so I figured it’d be interesting to look through at least one and see what kind of Capricorn adult/woman I’ve become.

I picked the first website that popped up on Google: Astrology. Zodiac. Signs. Sounds totally legit, right?

Saturn is my ruler and my lucky numbers are 4, 8, 13 and 22. {Hmm, I wonder why Friday the 13th hasn’t ever been lucky for me?!} Maybe that’s because my ‘day’ is Saturday!

Capricorn strengths: responsible {yep…a bit too much!}, disciplined {hmm…}, self-control {hah!} and good managers {if my current role is anything to go by, umm, no way!}

Capricorn weaknesses: Know-it-all {but I do know it all! :P}, Unforgiving {yeah, sort of}, condescending {umm, nah. Maybe sometimes in my head} and expecting the worst {so that’s where my anxiety comes from!}

According to the website,

Capricorn is a sign that represents time and responsibility, and its representatives are traditional and often very serious by nature. These individuals possess an inner state of independence that enables significant progress both in their personal and professional lives. They are masters of self-control and have the ability to lead the way, make solid and realistic plans, and manage many people who work for them at any time. They will learn from their mistakes and get to the top based solely on their experience and expertise.

Traditional representatives? What does that even mean? Serious by nature — yeah, I am guilty of that. I do agree with being independent and a bit of a go-getter and someone who makes solid and realistic plans, and who learns from my mistakes. On the other hand, self-control is serious lacking without accountability. And as for getting to the top — what top? In my field, there hardly is a ‘top’ and I know I won’t be getting there no matter how much experience I have. The reason? I can’t schmooze or play the game.

The site goes on to say:

This is the last sign in the trio of practicality and grounding. Not only do they focus on the material world, but they have the ability to use the most out of it. Unfortunately, this element also makes them stiff and sometimes too stubborn to move from one perspective or point in a relationship. They have a hard time accepting differences of other people that are too far from their character, and out of fear might try to impose their traditional values aggressively.

Too stubborn? Yes, yes, yes, yes. My parents, sister, relatives, exes, partners, friends can probably all vouch for this. Hard time accepting differences of other people too far from my character? Yup. Hence my intolerance of conservatives and idiots.

About the influence of Saturn:

represents restrictions of all kinds. Its influence makes these people practical and responsible, but also cold, distant and unforgiving, prone to the feeling of guilt and turned to the past. They need to learn to forgive in order to make their own life lighter and more positive.

Ah yes, the practical and responsible again. But cold? Distant? Unforgiving? I guess so but I think sometimes that’s also come after being hurt when having trusted. Sigh, I do need to make myself lighter and positive. So apparently forgiveness is the key. Who knew?

And finally, just a tidbit about the Capricorn woman and love:

Capricorn women are ambitious, persistent, responsible and reliable. She only wants to find someone to make her smile, and can’t wait to open up and feel the real pull of emotion that makes her warm up to the possibilities that lie in the future. It will take some time for her to lower her guard and feel safe and comfortable enough to show just how sensitive and caring she can be when she is in love.

She wants her partners responsible, calm, and hard-working, and needs to know that she is taken care of if something bad happens in the future. A Capricorn woman needs to feel comfortable with people she dates and needs time to decide what she wants out of each relationship. Born in a Sun sign that exalts Mars, her instincts and initiative are strong, and this makes her a passionate lover always in charge of her own life no matter the outer circumstances.

I will admit that the need to have responsible, calm and hard-working partners is certainly something I value. I can and have been distant early on with people but I do like to think I open up. After all, I’m such a sensitive soul!

So there you have it. I’m the perfect Capricorn. Except for the self-control. And the managerial aspirations and traits. And the strong instincts.

What star sign are you?

Are you very much like what they say you should be?

Do share!

If you are new to Friday Reflections, here’s what it’s about. It’s the end of the week, you’re probably exhausted with work, and all you want to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away.

Corinne from Everyday Gyaan and yours truly give you writing prompts and all you have to do is choose any one of those prompts to blog about and link up every Friday. The link will be open till the Monday. After you link up, be sure to spread the love by visiting other bloggers who have linked up too.

Feel free to add our Friday Reflections badge to your post or sidebar! Follow us on Twitter @FridayReflect and join our Facebook Group. Share your post on social media with the hashtag #FridayReflections.

Prompts for this week:

1. What’s your star sign? Does it reflect your personality?
2. Pick up the nearest CD or play a random song from your iPod and use the second line in the song to begin your post
3. Write on any of the prompts from March
4. “Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect.” – Margaret Mitchell. Use this quote in your post or as an inspiration for one.
5. Picture Prompt (credit: Living my Imperfect Life)

Last week, our featured writer was Vanessa for taking up the prompt from the 27th page of her book. If you want to be in the running to become our featured writer, all you have to do is write on one of the prompts above, link up and share. Do read the other posts and come back on Monday to vote for your favourite by clicking on the heart at the top right of each link below {the hearts will only appear from Monday}.

Just a reminder: Friday Reflections will be on a break in April due to the A to Z Challenge. If you want to follow my journey in that challenge, please follow my writing blog as I delve into the A to Z of Poetry for the month.

16 Comments

Damyanti
    March 31, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Fascinating bits about Capricorns– personally, I love them.

Damyanti
    March 31, 2017 at 1:52 pm

Fascinating bits about Capricorns– personally, I love them.

Vinodini
    March 31, 2017 at 3:46 pm

I am a big fan of Linda Goodman. I do not have many Capricorn women as friends but my brother is a Capri, and a lot of the things mentioned here sound a lot like him. 🙂
    Vinodini recently posted…A Rare Homage. ‘We Are The World’ Blogfest #WATWBMy Profile

Vinodini
    March 31, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Roshan Radhakrishnan
    March 31, 2017 at 5:14 pm

I’m an Aquarian myself and yes, to a fair degree , I do follow the pattern of the water bearer. More specifically, I do walk the fine line between genius (so I say) and insane (so says the world)!
    Roshan Radhakrishnan recently posted…The 6 year old who traded her birthday party to feed 125 homeless people #WATWBMy Profile

Roshan Radhakrishnan
    March 31, 2017 at 5:14 pm

The Unknown Journey Ahead
    March 31, 2017 at 9:14 pm

I am a Sagittarius and yes, I do have the traits to a degree. My husband is surrounded by Sagittarians – his mother and his sister are, too. I have also had a life long dream to learn archery, which somehow has never come together.
    The Unknown Journey Ahead recently posted…The Wisdom of “Gone With the Wind”My Profile

The Unknown Journey Ahead
    March 31, 2017 at 9:14 pm

I Am A Leo Watch Me Roar #FridayReflections - Everyday Gyaan
    April 1, 2017 at 2:51 pm

[…] to do is sit back, put your feet up, sip on some fancy cocktail or wine, and write away. Sanch of Living My Imperfect Life and I give you writing prompts and all you have to do is choose any one of those prompts to blog about […]

I Am A Leo Watch Me Roar #FridayReflections - Everyday Gyaan
    April 1, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Ness
    April 1, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Hello there, fellow Capricorn! See, I KNEW we were all indisputably dazzlingly clever and divinely beautiful!

On a serious note, I initially thought that I was nothing like a Capricorn. I didn’t think of myself as stubborn at all. But maybe not accepting change is a form of stubbornness? Anyway, we’re all awesome so that’s all that matters! *hi-fives*

Ness
    April 1, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Kaddu
    April 2, 2017 at 4:04 am

I’ve got Linda Goodman. Do you want me to scan the relevant pages and email you? 😀
    I just joined this linky… backdated my post for yesterday. 😛
    What to do na? I forget every Friday!
    Kaddu recently posted…Being a Capricorn! #FridayReflectionsMy Profile

Kaddu
    April 2, 2017 at 4:04 am

I just joined this linky… backdated my post for yesterday. 😛
    What to do na? I forget every Friday!
    Kaddu recently posted…Being a Capricorn! #FridayReflectionsMy Profile

Lucky numbers #FridayReflections - Living my Imperfect Life
    May 26, 2017 at 10:49 am

[…] am not a big believer in astrology or horoscopes or most superstitions. However, my grandfather was always a big believer. As a teenager, I […]

Lucky numbers #FridayReflections - Living my Imperfect Life