#Cascade: Woman of the modern world #atozchallenge

She was a woman of the modern world
Fighting traditions outdated and absurd
For her strong opinions, she was raped, then murdered

As a child she noticed boys favoured over girls
It made her quite angry and led her to proclaim
She was a woman of the modern world

She wore shorts and jeans, she went to school
Prayed during her period, even though it was taboo, thus
Fighting traditions outdated and absurd

The older she grew, she spoke against inequality
Helped change policies but made enemies along the way
For her strong opinions she was raped, then murdered.

(c) Sanch Vee @ Sanch Writes (4 April 2017)

***

Cascade is a form created by Udit Bhatia. It is all about receptiveness but in a smooth cascading way like a waterfall. The poem does not have any rhyme scheme; therefore, the layout is simple. IfΒ the first verse has three lines, line one of verse one becomes the last line of verse two. To follow in suit, the second line of verse one becomes the last line of verse three. The third line of verse one now becomes the last line of verse four, the last stanza of the poem.

This has been written for the 2017 A to Z Challenge.

1. Vidya Sury

April 4, 2017 at 5:26 am

Very skilfully done, Sanch. I wasn’t aware of this verse form, but noticed the sequence and flow. A poem for our times! Hugs!

1. Sanch, the writer

April 4, 2017 at 6:48 pm

Thanks Vidya, a bit morbid but not uncommon in some countries

2. Manisha

April 4, 2017 at 5:54 am

Loved the poem. Speaks so much about the woman of modern world.

3. Jacqui

April 4, 2017 at 6:34 am

I am not as strong as your woman, but I respect the heck out of her.

4. Shilpa Garg

April 4, 2017 at 10:25 am

Wow! This is an interesting form of poetry! Love the way the words flowed in this one.

5. Swathi Shenoy

April 4, 2017 at 10:31 am

A poem which reflects our age! Didn’t know about cascade style. I definitely want to try this once.
    Swathi Shenoy recently posted…CrushesMy Profile

6. Shailaja Vishwanath

April 4, 2017 at 11:16 am

Shivered at the imagery you’ve painted. That rhyme scheme is actually more complex than you make it sound so kudos for pulling it off and not letting it seem staccato.

7. Leanne | crestingthehill

April 4, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Gorgeous pic and a sad poem to go with it (but not a surprising ending in some way is it?) How lovely it will be when we live in a world where she would be praised instead of killed.
    Leanne | cresting the hill

8. SHALINI BAISIWALA

April 4, 2017 at 2:04 pm

The poem is to spot on with today’s world – very well expressed.
    But hwat steals my attention is the poetry form – Sanchie where on earth are you digging this all out from? I am super duper impressed with your research and am following you like a stalker on this challenge πŸ˜‰

Theme: Peregrination Chronicles (travel)
    C is for ChaiJaai cafΓ© Srinagar #atozchallenge

9. Ramya Abhinand

April 4, 2017 at 2:27 pm

Cascade style of poetry, true to its name, has that element of eligance in it. Th poem aptly describes the modern day life of women. Loved the fact that the words conveyed the message in a soft tone.

10. Mayuri Nidigallu

April 4, 2017 at 3:51 pm

This Cascade of word hit all the right notes, aptly describing the women, and their plight if they speak up. Wonderful writing, Sanch!
    Mayuri

11. Geets

April 4, 2017 at 3:54 pm

One of the best poems, I’ve read in a long time! I loved the style and more than that I loved the choice of words and message it is giving here!

Cheers

12. Vinodini

April 4, 2017 at 4:16 pm

Poignant and skillfully done!

13. Sheethal

April 4, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Loved the words. And the form. Definitely going to try. I love poems but never felt that it’s my area. But this looks inspiring.

14. Sreesha

April 4, 2017 at 4:52 pm

I respect this woman, but also feel sad and gutted about the ending. May we all be more like her!
    I read the description of the form before reading the poem, so noticed the pattern right away. I wish I had read the poem first, so I promise not to do it tomorrow onward even by accident πŸ˜€

15. Soumya

April 4, 2017 at 5:09 pm

This one has to be the best so far! The form as well as the words. And that picture, WOW!
    You have used the form to perfection and brought out a strong message. Take a bow, Sanch!

16. Suzy

April 4, 2017 at 9:26 pm

Good one Sanch and very apt for today’s world. A new poetry form to learn,

17. Donna Smith

April 4, 2017 at 10:11 pm

There are things people need to know. This is one of them. Loved this form.
    Mainely Write
    COOKN4U

18. Kaddu

April 4, 2017 at 11:50 pm

I see. So if the first verse has 4 lines, the poem will have five stanzas, I suppose. Right?
    Happy AtoZing!
    Chicky @ http://www.mysteriouskaddu.com

19. Roshan Radhakrishnan

April 5, 2017 at 12:35 am

Lovely format… I was busy checking how it worked in your poem but that doesn’t take away from how hard-hitting (and sadly, realistic) the content was.

20. Menaka Bharathi

April 5, 2017 at 1:40 am

A powerful message of the modern women

Launching SIM Organics
    *Menaka Bharathi*
    *SimpleIndianMom*

21. Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710

April 5, 2017 at 1:40 am

Wow! This poem really did have a nice flow to it, and it didn’t feel that there was no rhyme scheme!

There’s a poetry form somewhat similar to this one, called the trimeric. Is that your T for post? If not, do check out the article on Writer’s Digest πŸ™‚
    Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710 recently posted…You have received 3 comments! #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

22. Dipanwita

April 5, 2017 at 2:03 am

Wow! Strong poem and beautifully woven verses. I didn’t know about this form of poetry. Thanks for sharing Sanch πŸ™‚

23. Reema D'souza

April 5, 2017 at 2:04 am

Such a beautifully written poem which brings out the sad reality of out times. Nice to know about this form of poetry.

24. Parul Thakur

April 5, 2017 at 2:56 am

Best one, Sanch. Loved that form and since there is no rhyming, I can try this one πŸ™‚

25. Natasha

April 5, 2017 at 3:03 am

Hard hitting and a fact!

Blog: natashamusing
    Theme: Travel Epiphanies
    Captivating Jungle Run

26. Modern Gypsy

April 5, 2017 at 3:17 am

Wow – that’s a strong, hard hitting poem, and as some of the others have said, it’s a poem for our times.

27. Amrita

April 5, 2017 at 4:40 am

Heart breaking story.I wish things change.You are right this still happens all the time!Speaking about it is one way we can help.

28. Rajlakshmi

April 5, 2017 at 7:57 am

Sometimes I feel if we need a different world for women. You did a brilliant job with the form as well as spreading a powerful message.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…Travel Tales: Delhi #atozchallengeMy Profile

29. Shalini

April 5, 2017 at 10:24 pm

That’s an interesting form of poetry and you have written so well! πŸ™‚

30. http://www.chandnimoudgil.com

April 8, 2017 at 11:10 pm

This form is very me! I am not a big rhyme fan as long as there is a sense of lyrical flow to the idea . I would surely try it out .. and I think you chose a strong subject for this format and it really worked both ways.
    the emphasize was essential to your theme and it drove the message loud and clear .. very interesting when strategy meets creativity Sanch ..

Comments are closed.