#Diamante: Lifespan #atozchallenge

innocent, open
playing, dancing, daring
young, tiny, tall, old
earning, fearing, planning
cynical, jaded
Adult

(c) Sanch Vee @ Sanch Writes (5 April 2017)

***

A Diamante is a seven-lined contrast poem set up in a diamond shape. The first line begins with a noun/subject, and second line contains two adjectives that describe the beginning noun. The third line contains three words ending in -ing relating to the noun/subject. The fourth line contains two words that describe the noun/subject and two that describe the closing synonym/antonym. If using an antonym for the ending, this is where the shift should occur. In the fifth line are three more -ing words describing the ending antonym/synonym, and the sixth are two more adjectives describing the ending antonym/synonym. The last line ends with the first noun’s antonym or synonym.

This has been written for the 2017 A to Z Challenge.

1. Tina

April 5, 2017 at 5:10 am

heheh, I am absolutely ignorant about such poetry! Who actually invents such stuffs!!!

1. Sanch, the writer

April 5, 2017 at 8:10 pm

Apparently this is an original poetry form…who knew, eh?

2. Natasha

April 5, 2017 at 5:46 am

love the forms you are experimenting with. Reminder for me to get back to some serious poetry writing as well, post AtoZ

Natasha
    natashamusing

Travel Epiphanies:
    Died and Went to Heaven

1. Sanch, the writer

April 5, 2017 at 6:49 am

Thanks Nat…it’s pushing me out of my comfort zone for sure

3. Jacqui

April 5, 2017 at 6:25 am

Clever poem. It does force you to consider every word.

1. Sanch, the writer

April 5, 2017 at 6:49 am

It certainly does! I loved this style 🙂

4. Sheethal

April 5, 2017 at 7:27 am

Intense research. Congrats on coming up with such awesome types of poems.

5. Rajlakshmi

April 5, 2017 at 7:54 am

True, we do turn cynical… Something that as a child we never imagined we would become. Loved how you expressed the transition of a child to adult.
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…Yogasana: Down and Low #atozchallengeMy Profile

6. Leanne

April 5, 2017 at 9:50 am

I’m enjoying hearing about all these different styles of poetry (that I never knew about) Sanch – but I must say – the picture with this one is just plain creepy!
    Leanne | cresting the hill

1. Sanch, the writer

April 5, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Haha…I know it’s not the best pic but I couldn’t find something depicting both adult and child

7. Shilpa Garg

April 5, 2017 at 10:58 am

This one is another interesting form of poetry. It can be perfect exercise for students who are beginning to learn nouns, verbs, adjectives and synonym/antonym! As I type this, I realize that it’s a weird thought. LOL 😀

8. Shailaja Vishwanath

April 5, 2017 at 11:55 am

This may be one of my more favourite pieces of verse that I’ve read. I like both the technical structure of the verse plus the reality which you’ve captured so starkly. Well done, you!

1. Sanch, the writer

April 5, 2017 at 12:13 pm

It’s one of my favourites too 🙂 Thank you!

9. Anita

April 5, 2017 at 12:49 pm

Interesting image supporting the words. Contrast is evident between child & adult….
    Yet to try this form- Diamante

10. SHALINI BAISIWALA

April 5, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Oh my arent you clever!!! This is such a goo done Sanchie – very well written to explain the form of the poetry!

Theme: Peregrination Chronicles (travel)
    D is for Dolphin Delight in Goa #atozchallenge

11. Kaddu

April 5, 2017 at 2:39 pm

Yeah! Who actually invents such stuff?
    Why such miserliness with words? If you have them, then share them na! Pour them out! Fill pages with them!
    Just 16 words? That’s not even a taster!
    Huhhh!
    Happy AtoZing!
    Chicky @ http://www.mysteriouskaddu.com

1. Sanch, the writer

April 5, 2017 at 8:11 pm

I actually like it when they are short — it really makes you consider each and every word you use and not just ramble on 🙂

12. Vinitha

April 5, 2017 at 2:50 pm

That was clever, Sanch. I have read this form of poetry before but never tried my hands on it. Such forms sure pushes us to use words clearly and cleverly. You did good. 🙂

13. Swathi Shenoy

April 5, 2017 at 3:40 pm

How well you have portrayed the contrast between the innocence of a child and the mindset of an adult. Loving your poems Sanch 🙂
    Doctors and Dentists

14. Sreesha

April 5, 2017 at 4:39 pm

The ways in which life changes us! You’ve captured it so well.

15. Ramya abhinand

April 5, 2017 at 5:13 pm

Unique formation indeed. I noticed the tone and the voice which was so different from other forms of poetry ,subtle and sweet .

16. Roma Gupta Sinha

April 5, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Diamante , its such a pleasure to know about it and how its composed. You enriched me with a new poetry form buddy. Am coming here daily in search of the new 🙂
    Truly Yours Roma

17. Geets

April 5, 2017 at 6:36 pm

My goodness!! Such a small poem and so many rules and yet, you’ve crafted it so beautifully!
    I’m in awe of your poetry, Sanch! The way you craft and the knowledge you have on them!
    Cheers

1. Sanch, the writer

April 5, 2017 at 8:15 pm

Aww thanks Geets…honestly, I’m learning as I go!

18. Nilanjana Bose

April 5, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Haven’t come across that form before, learnt something new. Thanks. Well crafted.

Nilanjana
    Madly-in-Verse
    Theme : Arabiana

19. Suzy

April 5, 2017 at 8:44 pm

another interesting form and very well done you. I love poems. You can say so much in so few words.

20. Linda Gardiner

April 5, 2017 at 8:49 pm

Man am I loving learning about all these forms of poetry. kepp them coming!
    All Dolled Up Today I’m all about Art Dolls of mine.

21. Smiled App

April 5, 2017 at 9:05 pm

Such contrast between the two halves! Lovely poem.
    Divya Discovers a nearby Drawing Class

22. Vidya Sury

April 5, 2017 at 10:01 pm

What a transition through the stages of growth, eh? That’s the path of life. Well done, Sanch!

23. Kala Ravi

April 5, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Wow!! This I never knew! I am sure it isn’t as easy as it looks, going by the rules of this form of poetry! Cheers and best for future posts Sanch!

24. Shalini

April 5, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Of course, that looks pretty as well due to the diamond shape. Brilliant poem, Sanch. As much as it looks easy, this form is difficult I guess!

25. Vinodini

April 5, 2017 at 11:10 pm

The journey from childhood to old age is almost like the shape of a diamante. We live our childhood again as oldies, I believe. What a coincidence that your words and the subject of the post, both synced so well!

26. Roshan Radhakrishnan

April 6, 2017 at 1:43 am

My first time reading of this style of poetry and I honestly could not have asked for a better example. The change as the individual moves from the first line to the last is as real as the format of the poem itself.

27. Reema D'souza

April 6, 2017 at 3:15 am

I’ve tried Diamante and failed terribly! But I really loved your attempt at Diamante. Such a beautiful poem 🙂

28. Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710

April 6, 2017 at 3:24 am

This poem will work best with the synonym beginning, antonym ending combination only. The shift in the fourth line is the diamond in the poem, and with a synonym beginning and ending it just won’t feel right!

I liked how you did ‘open-jaded’ and ‘fearing-daring’ as another combination of synonyms and antonyms! 😍
    Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710 recently posted…Our blog is the night; the posts, our dreams #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

29. Soumya

April 6, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Sigh, why do we have to grow up?
    Beautiful form this and you have done complete justice to it, Sanch.

30. Ipsita Banerjee

April 7, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Lovely, as the other posts. I will be back to read the rest!

Comments are closed.