#Ghazal: Love #atozchallenge

Days after meeting her, he was professing love
Buying her numerous gifts, he was showing love

Months after being together, he asked they wed
To signify their true and everlasting love

Behind closed doors, he belittled her every move
The bruises on her skin were him showering love

Her life was no fairy tale as she had once hoped;
His taunts opened her eyes to his deceiving love

Ana escaped his clutches with her head held high
Knowing β€˜twas with herself she had enduring love

(c) Sanch Vee @ Sanch Writes (8 April 2017)

***

A Ghazal is a poem that is made up like an odd numbered chain of couplets, where each couplet is an independent poem. It should be natural to put a comma at the end of the first line. The Ghazal has a refrain of one to three words that repeat, and an inline rhyme that precedes the refrain. Lines 1 and 2, then every second line, has this refrain and inline rhyme. The last couplet should refer to the author’s pen-name. The rhyming scheme is AA bA cA dA eA etc.

This has been written for the 2017 A to Z challenge

27 thoughts on “#Ghazal: Love #atozchallenge

1. Anita says:

Glad that Ana walked away with her self-respect.
    Interesting to learn about Ghazal. Many Hindi movie songs have Ghazals in Hindi & Urdu. Great that you have attempted it in English πŸ™‚

2. Shailaja Vishwanath says:

Ah, one of my favourite forms. I actually said ‘Ah’ out loud when I saw the title πŸ˜€
    Love how you’ve woven Ana’s ordeal within a love song. So unique!

3. Bellybytes says:

That was brilliant Sanch. I didn’t know you were participating in this challenge. And thanks for explaining so clearly what a Ghazal was. I always thought they were those sad songs that played on All India Radio all day long……

4. Suzy says:

Oh wow to take a ghazal form and put it into an English context is commendable. Sad that such “love” exists.

5. Vinodini says:

I’m reading an English ghazal for the first time. Never thought of them as couplets. Good to know. πŸ™‚

6. Shalini R says:

I didn’t really know what Ghazal was! I really thought it was about the hindi Ghazal.
    And your poem is fab!

7. Kaddu says:

Never before have I read a Ghazal in English!
    It actually feels kind of strange. We’re so used to reading ghazals in Hindi or Urdu! πŸ˜›
    But seriously… this was quite impressive.
    You rock, girl!
    Happy AtoZing!
    Chicky @ http://www.mysteriouskaddu.com

8. Rajlakshmi says:

Glad she escaped his clutches. It’s awful someone who once loved you could inflict so much hurt.

9. Shilpa Garg says:

A ghazal can be written in English too!! I thought it was Urdu form of poetry!
    Loved this expression in the form a ghazal.

10. Parul Thakur says:

I love Ghazals – just the Hindi ones I have listened to and this was the first time got to know about the technicalities of it. So well done with Ana’s story and glad she moved out of it.

11. Leanne | www.crestingthehill.com.au says:

I’ve been reading a lot of Indian blogs during the A to Z Sanch, and it seems that there are a lot of unhappy women in relationships and marriages. It breaks my heart when I read poetry and stories based on the assumption that men don’t value the women they love – so sad isn’t it?

12. Geets says:

Just beautiful! More power to all the girls who dare to take their stand and know that it is them who are first before anyone else in the world!
    Cheers

13. Vinay Leo R. says:

I think I’ve attempted ghazal just once, but it was nice to try. πŸ™‚ Your poetry is quite beautiful, Babby.

14. Sreesha says:

Good for Ana! May all women in unhappy and violent relationships find her courage and get out of them. <3

15. Vidya Sury says:

Bravo, Ana! What a mean guy! I see crime stories like this one all the time!
    I am loving your AtoZ series, Sanch.

Comments are closed.