#HarrishamRhyme: Over #atozchallenge

What happened to us I often wonder
Together we’d planned to see life to the end
Romance faded, as did the spell we were under
Eroding the time together we would spend
Growing apart was our biggest blunder
Giving no chance for our relationship to mend

(c) Sanch Vee @ Sanch Writes (10 April 2017)

***

Harrisham Rhyme, created by the female poet, Harrisham Minhas, belonging to the State of Punjab in India, is a six-line rhyming stanza. In this form, the last alphabet of the first word of each line is the first alphabet of the first word of next line. The rhyming scheme is ababab

This has been written for the 2017 A to Z Challenge

27 Comments

1. Vinay Leo R.

April 10, 2017 at 5:14 am

Poignant piece, Babby. Yes, that time to mend is important too, not drifting apart when misunderstandings happen.
    Noted the form and its details, and will try this soon! 😀

2. Rajlakshmi

April 10, 2017 at 7:58 am

Ohh this is touching, specially the last two lines. Wow I am amazed how everyday you are coming up with these brilliantly formed poems… I know it’s not easy to come up with a new idea every single day, but you are doing it so brilliantly. 😀👌
    Rajlakshmi recently posted…Travel Tales: Hawkesbury River #atozchallengeMy Profile

3. Swathi Shenoy

April 10, 2017 at 10:43 am

They should have given time for their relationship. The poem flows so effortlessly. Brilliant Sanch 🙂
    Swathi Shenoy recently posted…Hostel LifeMy Profile

4. Shilpa Garg

April 10, 2017 at 11:44 am

Wow! I liked how the words flow smoothly while following the rules of the Harrisham Rhyme. Very interesting, Sanch!

5. Shilpa Garg

April 10, 2017 at 11:45 am

Wow! I like how the words flow smoothly while following the rules of the Harrisham Rhyme. Very interesting, Sanch!

6. Modern Gypsy

April 10, 2017 at 12:37 pm

This happens so often, doesn’t it? Lovers growing apart, romance fading, and the relationship loses all its beauty.

I hadn’t heard of this form of poetry before – sounds deceptively simple!
    Modern Gypsy recently posted…Harness the power of water: 5 fun painting techniquesMy Profile

7. Vinodini

April 10, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Wow, this technique sounds complicated to me. You seem to be adapting each of these methods of writing so effortlessly!

8. Shalini

April 10, 2017 at 4:06 pm

Last letter of the first word, that is complicated! How did people come up with this, I wonder :O
    Splendid poem, Sanch. Great to see an Indian form of poetry 🙂

9. Kaddu

April 10, 2017 at 6:09 pm

Isn’t that the story of most “romances”?
    This form sounds simple, but I don’t think it really is that easy.
    I don’t how you do this.
    Happy AtoZing!
    Chicky @ http://www.mysteriouskaddu.com

1. Sanch, the writer

April 10, 2017 at 7:26 pm

Aww thanks…yeah I do think a lot of relationships probably end this way.

2. Aditya Sathe

April 10, 2017 at 7:32 pm

My post is also about romance, but it goes kind of in opposite direction
      “Story about him, about her”

10. Suzy

April 10, 2017 at 7:27 pm

I like this form. I guess the physical “romance” eventually fades into disillusionment. Romancing the soul is a much better prospect for a lifetime together. But your poem is extremely well written. Well done.

11. Sreesha

April 10, 2017 at 8:28 pm

The form is kinda like the game of antakshari, only a lot more complex.
    The story is truly sad. Happens so often.

1. Sanch, the writer

April 10, 2017 at 8:41 pm

Hehe…didn’t think of antakshari but yeah I know what you mean 🙂

12. Geets

April 10, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Have got just one word to say… Beautiful!
    Cheers

13. Menaka Bharathi

April 10, 2017 at 10:22 pm

The poem flows effortlessly….Don’t you think people fall out of love and the magic between them disappear..Loved the last two lines..Very touching with a profound meaning…

Launching SIM Organics This April
    *Menaka Bharathi *
    *SimpleIndianMom*

14. Natasha

April 10, 2017 at 11:12 pm

Wow. I’m discovering some wonderful forms of poetry through your posts and the icing on the cake- such brilliant ones! Thank you😊

Blog: natashamusing
    Theme: Travel Epiphanies
    Happy Birthday to You

15. SHALINI BAISIWALA

April 11, 2017 at 12:46 am

First up – the poem is gorgeous Sanch, so full of emotions and longings.
    Secondly another brilliant new form to learn about – totally blown away by your knowledge on poetic forms!
    Theme: Peregrination Chronicles (travel)
    H is for a stinky high at ChangLa pass in Ladhakh #atozchallenge

16. Roshan Radhakrishnan

April 11, 2017 at 12:56 am

Lovely heartfelt poem. And again, did not have a clue on this style of poetry.

17. Soumya

April 11, 2017 at 1:31 am

So many poetry forms have originated in India? Wow!

This post was brilliant and the rhyming concept is easy too.

18. Reema D'souza

April 11, 2017 at 2:22 am

Those last two lines have so much meaning in them. Nicely done. I’d never heard about this form of poetry before.

19. Jacqui

April 11, 2017 at 2:44 am

Another poetry genre I’ve never heard of. Amazing.

20. Shailaja Vishwanath

April 11, 2017 at 3:10 am

Actually went back and re-read after reading the rhyme scheme in your explanation. This is so lovely. That tiny bit of internal rhyming using the last letter of each first word is a touch of genius.

21. Vidya Sury

April 11, 2017 at 3:13 am

Didn’t know about this poetry form, Sanch. How nice it originated in India! But then, India is rich that way.
    How sad the poetry is! Regret is a terrible thing!
    Hugs!

22. Namratha

April 11, 2017 at 3:16 am

Took me a couple of reads to understand the scheme. Interesting type of rhyme..

23. Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710

April 11, 2017 at 3:17 am

This poem is so damn awesome! Like, the last letter of the first word is the first letter of the first word in the next line! That totally blew my mind away. Plus, you have to stick to the rhyme scheme. And, obviously, the poem has to make sense!

You’re doing a fabulous job with this theme, Sanch! ❤
    Mithila Menezes @fabulus1710 recently posted…Harry Potter Characters in the Blogosphere #AtoZChallengeMy Profile

24. Tina Basu

April 11, 2017 at 3:53 pm

yet another wonderful poetry form. And I am so glad it’s by somone from Punjab!